Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sajeev

I9 9900K Cinebench R20 issue

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sajeev said:

@GMart84 @tarfeef101 @Zando Bob @Falkentyne @alatron978 guys sorry to bother you guys, just want to understand one thing, The VRM on my MoBo get's really hot and its actually impossible to touch, you can actually feel the heat... any suggestions on this..

 

PS: currently my MoBo is still not inside a case but on an open bench without any direct airflow towards the VRM. Also I have changed my CPU Core/Cache voltage to 1.255 and it's really stable..

 

Tks & Regards

Sajeev 

Just lean a fan on top of them :). BTW its fine for vrms to run at 90C for 24/7 use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
58 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

Just lean a fan on top of them :). BTW its fine for vrms to run at 90C for 24/7 use.

Tks Man, Appreciate your quick response. & Big thanks to you..

 

Rgds

Sajeev

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sajeev VRMs tend to get hot when OCing.  If they get too hot they will fail as well.  Are you using manual or offset voltage for the CPU? Or any of the auto settings.  1.255 is high but not out of the world high.  I would get a fan and have it blowing on those VRMs.  I hcurrently have fans blowing on the RAM and the VRM even with the cooling fins on the Gugabyte board.


BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.29 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, HX1000i

 

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (@ 3200Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), EVGA GTX 1080 SC, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop (CPU Only), Thermaltake Core P5, HX850i

 

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Corsair 100R

 

Daughter's First Build

Core i3-6100, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, GMart84 said:

@Sajeev VRMs tend to get hot when OCing.  If they get too hot they will fail as well.  Are you using manual or offset voltage for the CPU? Or any of the auto settings.  1.255 is high but not out of the world high.  I would get a fan and have it blowing on those VRMs.  I hcurrently have fans blowing on the RAM and the VRM even with the cooling fins on the Gugabyte board.

I am using Manual voltage for CPU Settings, the only thing that is on auto for overclocking is the max cpu capacity (I wanted it to set to 140% but then thought setting it on auto would be ok). My CPU Core/Cache voltage had to be set to 1.29 again as 1.255-1.285 the games were just crashing all the time (Battlefield V, Assassins Creed Origin, Rise of Tomb Raider, GTA V). At 1.29 they seem to work without crashing(Includes BOSD upon launch).

 

Rgds

Sajeev

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sajeev said:

@GMart84 @tarfeef101 @Zando Bob @Falkentyne @alatron978 guys sorry to bother you guys, just want to understand one thing, The VRM on my MoBo get's really hot and its actually impossible to touch, you can actually feel the heat... any suggestions on this..

 

PS: currently my MoBo is still not inside a case but on an open bench without any direct airflow towards the VRM. Also I have changed my CPU Core/Cache voltage to 1.255 and it's really stable..

 

Tks & Regards

Sajeev 

Open HWMonitor and see what your mobo sensors are saying. If any of them are hitting over 80-85C then you should look into better cooling for the VRMs. If not, you should be fine. 75C is usually pretty darn safe (I don't know of any computer components that can't handle that) and that's 167 degrees Fahrenheit, very noticeably hot but still fine for the PC.


 If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

 

X99 rig:

Spoiler

CPU: 5820K at 4.5-4.6Ghz, working on getting my OC 100% stable
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Motherboard: EVGA Classified X99
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4
Storage: 120GB HyperX Savage SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDDs
GPU: Radeon VII
Case: Corsair Air 540, Black
PSU: EVGA 1000W G3

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

CPU: X5670 at 4.56GHz/1.5v for now, planning to push higher on that voltage

CPU Cooler: Heatkiller IV CPU block and custom loop with 360mm slim rad
Motherboard: EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI X58 motherboard
Memory: 24GB HyperX Savage DDR3 (Red). Running ~1600MHz 10-10-10-28 for now, it'll to 9-9-9-24 but I'm planning to push to 2000MHz, thus the looser timings. 

Storage: ADATA SU800 128GB SSD, HyperX Savage 120GB SSD
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G 
Case: Mountain Mods mobo tray, PSU mount off etsy, some rad mounting hardware and a board of plywood and such from Lowes. 
PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G
Random Celeron, 8700K died so I gotta get my hands on an i5 8400

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

250GB 960 Evo, 2TB Seagate Firecuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sajeev said:

 guys sorry to bother you guys, just want to understand one thing, The VRM on my MoBo get's really hot and its actually impossible to touch, you can actually feel the heat... any suggestions on this..

 

PS: currently my MoBo is still not inside a case but on an open bench without any direct airflow towards the VRM. Also I have changed my CPU Core/Cache voltage to 1.255 and it's really stable..

 

Tks & Regards

Sajeev 

1) Many VRM components are rated to 125 degrees and higher. So that's not necessarily a problem. 

But, if you want to cool stuff anyways:
1) Get watercooling and blocks for the VRM. This is basically always not necessary. Don't really recommend unless you have time and money to waste.

2) Just stick it in a case with airflow. 

3) Use a downdraft CPU cooler (one where the fan points down). That helps a lot (but hard to do with powerful CPUs since they don't typically have a lot of thermal dissipation capability)

4) Lower your switching frequency for the VRM. This helps with efficiency, but also means the power is less clean, which can hurt stability. But if you're really concerned you can do that.

 

 

I'd recommend option 2


Main Gaming Rig: i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 2400, Modded Corsair 280x Case, Full Soft Watercooling
Second Testbench Rig: i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz, RX 580 (air cooled), 16GB DDR3 1866, Thermaltake Core P3 White TG, CPU Soft Watercooling

Third Server Rig: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Fractal Core 500, Full Soft Watercooling
 

I don't have a problem...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Tks guys, all problems solved just by pointing a fan towards the VRM's. Temps now pretty neat, Ran Aida64, Prime 95 for over an hour and  and OCCT for over 4 hours and found out that temps were extremely stable on both VRM's (40-45) and CPU Core (65-75). So happy now, couldn't have done it without your support and advises. Tks again a ton. You guys rock.. Getting a Thermaltake View 71 case for this build, and yes I am going to swipe the Graphic card for 2 2080Ti's FE on Custom water loop from my threadripper 2950X build which I have running on stock. I'll put my Radeon VII in threadripper build. Some pics from my last build attached here.

 

@tarfeef101 @Zando Bob @GMart84 @alatron978 @Falkentyne

 

Rgds

Sajeev

BLACK MAMBA.jpg

Side Panel.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Sajeev said:

Tks guys, all problems solved just by pointing a fan towards the VRM's. Temps now pretty neat, Ran Aida64, Prime 95 for over an hour and  and OCCT for over 4 hours and found out that temps were extremely stable on both VRM's (40-45) and CPU Core (65-75). So happy now, couldn't have done it without your support and advises. Tks again a ton. You guys rock.. Getting a Thermaltake View 71 case for this build, and yes I am going to swipe the Graphic card for 2 2080Ti's FE on Custom water loop from my threadripper 2950X build which I have running on stock. I'll put my Radeon VII in threadripper build. Some pics from my last build attached here.

 

@tarfeef101 @Zando Bob @GMart84 @alatron978 @Falkentyne

 

Rgds

Sajeev


-snip-

 

Nice! And yeah, the ASUS VRMs this gen have been pretty meh on the Intel side, AFAIK they'd overheat more since it's a 4 Phase or something (whereas Gigabyte's budget boards are an 11+1, the higher ends are a 12+3 or something crazy IIRC). Also cool to see a fellow RVII owner, how's it treating you? I just got back to using mine, finished the X99 rig I meant to put it in and it's been running like a champ since. It'll OC pretty damn well too if I'm willing to have a jet engine simulator in my case, but I've undervolted it a good bit to lower temps, need to tweak it a bit more when I have the time.


 If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

 

X99 rig:

Spoiler

CPU: 5820K at 4.5-4.6Ghz, working on getting my OC 100% stable
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Motherboard: EVGA Classified X99
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4
Storage: 120GB HyperX Savage SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDDs
GPU: Radeon VII
Case: Corsair Air 540, Black
PSU: EVGA 1000W G3

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

CPU: X5670 at 4.56GHz/1.5v for now, planning to push higher on that voltage

CPU Cooler: Heatkiller IV CPU block and custom loop with 360mm slim rad
Motherboard: EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI X58 motherboard
Memory: 24GB HyperX Savage DDR3 (Red). Running ~1600MHz 10-10-10-28 for now, it'll to 9-9-9-24 but I'm planning to push to 2000MHz, thus the looser timings. 

Storage: ADATA SU800 128GB SSD, HyperX Savage 120GB SSD
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G 
Case: Mountain Mods mobo tray, PSU mount off etsy, some rad mounting hardware and a board of plywood and such from Lowes. 
PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G
Random Celeron, 8700K died so I gotta get my hands on an i5 8400

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

250GB 960 Evo, 2TB Seagate Firecuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

 

Nice! And yeah, the ASUS VRMs this gen have been pretty meh on the Intel side, AFAIK they'd overheat more since it's a 4 Phase or something (whereas Gigabyte's budget boards are an 11+1, the higher ends are a 12+3 or something crazy IIRC). Also cool to see a fellow RVII owner, how's it treating you? I just got back to using mine, finished the X99 rig I meant to put it in and it's been running like a champ since. It'll OC pretty damn well too if I'm willing to have a jet engine simulator in my case, but I've undervolted it a good bit to lower temps, need to tweak it a bit more when I have the time.

Radeon VII is performing like a charm, has an excellent performance, my friend has a 2080 and it beats it I some games, though temps are a case for this card though, I have undervalued mine to 1.08 (stock was about 1.138 V) to run at 1930MHz with a 1175MHz on Ram, I did a small adjustment on the fan curve to make it run at higher rpm's on temps over 50 degrees, it is working like a charm. I have not tried going above 1930 or 1175 in both cases as it is getting the job done for me. I am waiting for the water block from EK or Alphacool to come out to completely remove the fan noise and push it a little bit higher as it would run lot cooler with custom water looping. I did have some reservation while buying this card but I am happy I bought it. My seller has told me that running this card on a an AMD chipset makes this card perform better(strange).. Waiting for the water block and then will try and see how it performs on an all AMD system.

 

Do let me know how yours perform after all the tweaking. 

 

 

Rgds

Sajeev

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sajeev said:

Radeon VII is performing like a charm, has an excellent performance, my friend has a 2080 and it beats it I some games, though temps are a case for this card though, I have undervalued mine to 1.08 (stock was about 1.138 V) to run at 1930MHz with a 1175MHz on Ram, I did a small adjustment on the fan curve to make it run at higher rpm's on temps over 50 degrees, it is working like a charm. I have not tried going above 1930 or 1175 in both cases as it is getting the job done for me. I am waiting for the water block from EK or Alphacool to come out to completely remove the fan noise and push it a little bit higher as it would run lot cooler with custom water looping. I did have some reservation while buying this card but I am happy I bought it. My seller has told me that running this card on a an AMD chipset makes this card perform better(strange).. Waiting for the water block and then will try and see how it performs on an all AMD system.

 

Do let me know how yours perform after all the tweaking. 

 

 

Rgds

Sajeev

I've got mine at stock speeds on the core, 1200Mhz RAM, undervolted to .98-1v most of the time, need to tweak it a bit more. Hot Spot doesn't hit over 95C or so though so that's good (it can go to 115C before it throttles, the hot spot is what throttling and the fan speed go off of). I'm only at 1080p though, if I get a higher res monitor in the future I'll OC it a good bit for sure.


 If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

 

X99 rig:

Spoiler

CPU: 5820K at 4.5-4.6Ghz, working on getting my OC 100% stable
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Motherboard: EVGA Classified X99
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4
Storage: 120GB HyperX Savage SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDDs
GPU: Radeon VII
Case: Corsair Air 540, Black
PSU: EVGA 1000W G3

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

CPU: X5670 at 4.56GHz/1.5v for now, planning to push higher on that voltage

CPU Cooler: Heatkiller IV CPU block and custom loop with 360mm slim rad
Motherboard: EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI X58 motherboard
Memory: 24GB HyperX Savage DDR3 (Red). Running ~1600MHz 10-10-10-28 for now, it'll to 9-9-9-24 but I'm planning to push to 2000MHz, thus the looser timings. 

Storage: ADATA SU800 128GB SSD, HyperX Savage 120GB SSD
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G 
Case: Mountain Mods mobo tray, PSU mount off etsy, some rad mounting hardware and a board of plywood and such from Lowes. 
PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G
Random Celeron, 8700K died so I gotta get my hands on an i5 8400

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

250GB 960 Evo, 2TB Seagate Firecuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sajeev I am happy it is working out for you.  Enjoy the OC and the rig.

 


BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.29 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, HX1000i

 

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (@ 3200Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), EVGA GTX 1080 SC, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop (CPU Only), Thermaltake Core P5, HX850i

 

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Corsair 100R

 

Daughter's First Build

Core i3-6100, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

 

Nice! And yeah, the ASUS VRMs this gen have been pretty meh on the Intel side, AFAIK they'd overheat more since it's a 4 Phase or something (whereas Gigabyte's budget boards are an 11+1, the higher ends are a 12+3 or something crazy IIRC). Also cool to see a fellow RVII owner, how's it treating you? I just got back to using mine, finished the X99 rig I meant to put it in and it's been running like a champ since. It'll OC pretty damn well too if I'm willing to have a jet engine simulator in my case, but I've undervolted it a good bit to lower temps, need to tweak it a bit more when I have the time.

Yeah they basically just double the MOSFETs in each stage to give each one a massive amount of power instead of more, weaker phases. 

They claim this helps reduce transient response spikes/dips, but it comes at the cost of worse output ripple. 


They also could still use more phases... Voltage controllers on these boards normally can do up to 8 phases. If they spend a shitton they can get 10 phases too. But even still, say, a 6+2 would be better. And still not sacrifice on transient response because that doesn't need doublers. But they don't seem to care much. 


Main Gaming Rig: i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 2400, Modded Corsair 280x Case, Full Soft Watercooling
Second Testbench Rig: i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz, RX 580 (air cooled), 16GB DDR3 1866, Thermaltake Core P3 White TG, CPU Soft Watercooling

Third Server Rig: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Fractal Core 500, Full Soft Watercooling
 

I don't have a problem...

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Yeah they basically just double the MOSFETs in each stage to give each one a massive amount of power instead of more, weaker phases. 

They claim this helps reduce transient response spikes/dips, but it comes at the cost of worse output ripple. 


They also could still use more phases... Voltage controllers on these boards normally can do up to 8 phases. If they spend a shitton they can get 10 phases too. But even still, say, a 6+2 would be better. And still not sacrifice on transient response because that doesn't need doublers. But they don't seem to care much. 

Aha, thanks. I just kinda know they were eh, but not why. What's the transient response? Ripple I assume is just unstable power. 


 If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

 

X99 rig:

Spoiler

CPU: 5820K at 4.5-4.6Ghz, working on getting my OC 100% stable
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Motherboard: EVGA Classified X99
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4
Storage: 120GB HyperX Savage SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDDs
GPU: Radeon VII
Case: Corsair Air 540, Black
PSU: EVGA 1000W G3

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

CPU: X5670 at 4.56GHz/1.5v for now, planning to push higher on that voltage

CPU Cooler: Heatkiller IV CPU block and custom loop with 360mm slim rad
Motherboard: EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI X58 motherboard
Memory: 24GB HyperX Savage DDR3 (Red). Running ~1600MHz 10-10-10-28 for now, it'll to 9-9-9-24 but I'm planning to push to 2000MHz, thus the looser timings. 

Storage: ADATA SU800 128GB SSD, HyperX Savage 120GB SSD
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G 
Case: Mountain Mods mobo tray, PSU mount off etsy, some rad mounting hardware and a board of plywood and such from Lowes. 
PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G
Random Celeron, 8700K died so I gotta get my hands on an i5 8400

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

250GB 960 Evo, 2TB Seagate Firecuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Aha, thanks. I just kinda know they were eh, but not why. What's the transient response? Ripple I assume is just unstable power. 

Transient response refers to how a system reacts to change in the desire output (i.e. a VRM being told to change from delivering 150A to 30A).

When people talk about issues with transient response on CPU/GPU VRMs, they usually are talking about overshoot or undershoot of voltage. So, what happens is that when the power being requested drops (such as when a benchmark finishes), the transient response might be a voltage spike (overshoot) or dip (undershoot) while the load change occurs.

Ripple is just how much the voltage fluctuates during normal operation.


Main Gaming Rig: i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 2400, Modded Corsair 280x Case, Full Soft Watercooling
Second Testbench Rig: i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz, RX 580 (air cooled), 16GB DDR3 1866, Thermaltake Core P3 White TG, CPU Soft Watercooling

Third Server Rig: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Fractal Core 500, Full Soft Watercooling
 

I don't have a problem...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×