need to turn a 6pin into an 8pin

Munhe

Buying a Cooler Master masterwatt 750w 80+ bronze, is this a good one? its 70euros new still in the box.

1 hour ago, Munhe said:

Buying a Cooler Master masterwatt 750w 80+ bronze, is this a good one? its 70euros new still in the box.

No.

For 70€ you can get Bitfenix Formula or other entry level gold units.

The Extra 200-300W are just useless if you don't need them.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

That power supply most likely LIES about how much power it can supply. It's probably at best a 420-450w power supply, based on the configuration of the connectors.

However, a GTX 1060 doesn't really consume A LOT of power, most GTX 1060 don't consume more than around 120 watts, out of which around 50-60 watts are taken from the pci-e slot.  So, around 80-100 watts are taken from the 8 pin connector, which is not that much higher from the maximum of 75w allowed through a pci-e 6 pin connector.

So, in theory if the power supply can deliver 75w through a 6pin connector, it should be able to deliver 100w through some adapter.

The cheapest solution would be to an adapter that converts two molex (ide) to a pci-e 8 pin - each molex connector can carry 5A of current, so with two molex connectors you have 12v and 10A, so 120w in the 8pin connector, more than what the GTX 1060 will ever take through that connector.

Adapters that convert SATA connectors into pci-e 8 pin are NOT recommended. Officially, the limit is 4.5 A per connector, but the connectors are so flimsy and of poor quality in cheaper power supplies that one should not take more than around 3A through each connector. So an adapter that converts two sata to a pci-e connector should not be used for more than 12v at 3A x 2 connectors = ~ 70 watts.

Don't use Molex or Sata to 6/8-pin adapters. Those are definitely not recommended.

6-pin GPU to 8-pin GPU are not a problem at all. Or 8-pin CPU to 8-pin GPU. Just don't use any other adapters and you'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to find some of these.

i actually bought 2 molex to 8pin adapter and 6pin to 8pin adapter,and kind of getting the mixed reviews about using them :) but i found a guy on youtube who used 6pin to 8pin for a year on his 1080 GPU, so i guess its fine? right.....

will probably try it out today so i will let you know if anything explodes, the new PSU is coming on sunday or monday.

19 minutes ago, Munhe said:

i actually bought 2 molex to 8pin adapter and 6pin to 8pin adapter,

Don't

and kind of getting the mixed reviews about using them

There's 2 groups of people there. Ignorant/stupid, and people who have some brains.

:) but i found a guy on youtube who used 6pin to 8pin for a year on his 1080 GPU, so i guess its fine? right.....

If I jumped off a cliff, would you?

will probably try it out today so i will let you know if anything explodes, the new PSU is coming on sunday or monday.

Just wait for the new PSU.

And what is the new PSU? Hope you didn't waste more money on absolute shit.

2 hours ago, Munhe said:

i actually bought 2 molex to 8pin adapter and 6pin to 8pin adapter,and kind of getting the mixed reviews about using them

Happy burning.

Save for the next PC if you use it with your unsafe, low quality garbage PSU.

but i found a guy on youtube who used 6pin to 8pin for a year on his 1080 GPU, so i guess its fine? right.....

No, its not.

There are some decent PSU on the Market where some people saved a cent or two for the second connector but are totally capable of running that.

There is the InWin GreenME for example or Corsair CX450, maybe Xilence Performance A+.

But usually with limited connectors, there is a reason why a PSU comes with only a hand full!
In short:
THe more Watt and less connectors, the more you should be worried!

A decent 400-550W PSU comes with 2-4 Molex and 4-6 PCIe, overall 6-8 Drive Connectors.

Your PSU has even less than that.

I can show you a "named brand" unit with a similar Cable Configuration. This one:

https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1551

You go on technical data -> Cable Configuration.

There you see the Cable tree.

And even there you have 1 additional S-ATA PSU.

So that should give you an idea what you really have right now!

Here a lesser quality unit with the same Cables you have:

https://www.xilence.net/de/power-supplies/17

Buttom line:
DO NOT DO THAT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR HARDWARE!

PLS do not do that!
Wait for the PSU!

I know its hard

But what PSU did you get??

On 3/13/2019 at 7:26 AM, Munhe said:

120$ for a PSU :(  god damn, thats almost the same i payed for a CPU. buy yeah i get your point in getting the one with space to expand. what else makes this one good? except a lot of PCIEs ? is a used PSU good?

Are there other website you can roder from? or just the one you supplied the other day

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

i got Cooler Master 750w Masterwatt 80+ is that a decent quality PSU?

1 hour ago, Munhe said:

i got Cooler Master 750w Masterwatt 80+ is that a decent quality PSU?

Its OK, now you got it...

You probably didn't need 750W and other options might be better but its still a somewhat decent PSU, the only Problem is the Semi Fanless mode of the unit.