Alternatives for bfv? (Bf2 like gameplay)

Bartholomew

Hi,

Recently i came back to gaming after a stop of a couple of years (bf3 was most recent i played). Being naive i expected bf to have evolved not only in gfx but also gameplay (should have researched better lol).

Needless to say im dissapointed to say the least, and now looking for something else:

A) preferably set in ww2 or "today" (not into ww1, ancient times or futuristic stuff)

B) gameplay a'la bf2; no infinite running without catching a breath, no COD type of "run, spray and just pray" play (bf5 seems like a graphic updated COD2 gameplay wise)

C) balanced online capability (like seperate "noob servers" for beginners like me)

D) pace that alows for some strategic thinking

Guess basicaly im looking for a modernized bf2, wouldnt even mind bf2 gfx if online play is fun or at least doable

Any recommendations highly appreciated

Battlefield 4

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

This may not be the game for you, but have you heard of Squad? It's a bit different than what you're asking, but it's a great military simulation game that requires a lot of strategic thinking and a lot of communication and has very realistic sound and mechanics, such as the reload mechanic. 

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

12 minutes ago, Wolly9102 said:

Battlefield 4

Thanks for replying!

Little hesitant to roll more pennies at the bf5 creators though. 

How is running in bf4, is it like bf5 (olympic marathon style without ever needing to stop, causing maps to be basically look like a anthill sprayed with bullets and meth)?

To elaborate more, i think my thing with bf5 is it is a "reflexes" game, to little coop communication or strategic thinking, advising on enemy positions etc. Maybe "its there" but pointless since the pace is so high (logical result of the cheetahstyle running lol).

In bf2 you could think "ok i stop here tocatch breath, then run over to that building and climb on the roof, in a minute or 2 that tank approaching will pass by".

In bf5 in 2 minutes everyone already respawned 37x already and/or raced 40 laps around the outer parts of the map without even using a vehicle... (entering a vehicle DOES taje 2 minutes though lol).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, ill look up same vids a bf4 and see what thats like

8 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

This may not be the game for you, but have you heard of Squad? It's a bit different than what you're asking, but it's a great military simulation game that requires a lot of strategic thinking and a lot of communication and has very realistic sound and mechanics, such as the reload mechanic. 

Just looked it up on youtube! 

That seems spot on!!! Im going to look into that one, from what i just seen might be *exactly* what im looking for!

Thanks a lot man :)

Just now, Bartholomew said:

That seems spot on!!! Im going to look into that one, from what i just seen might be *exactly* what im looking for!

Well, good luck to you. I would watch more videos, though. It really isn't like a Battlefield game. Teamwork and communication are key. Unlike some games, you can't really go "Rambo" and go on a killstreak out of nothing, especially when you're still learning the game. It really is a complicated game, yet, very enjoyable, as the only thing more realistic than this is being in the middle of an actual war. With all that said, make sure the game is what you're looking for, before buying. :) 

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

14 hours ago, Bartholomew said:

Little hesitant to roll more pennies at the bf5 creators though.

DICE has made every battlefield title from the very beginning though.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

On 3/10/2019 at 3:53 AM, Bartholomew said:

Hi,

A) preferably set in ww2 or "today" (not into ww1, ancient times or futuristic stuff)

B) gameplay a'la bf2; no infinite running without catching a breath, no COD type of "run, spray and just pray" play (bf5 seems like a graphic updated COD2 gameplay wise)

C) balanced online capability (like seperate "noob servers" for beginners like me)

Guess basicaly im looking for a modernized bf2, wouldnt even mind bf2 gfx if online play is fun or at least doable

It's hard to fit all of your requirements. But you need to try PUBG because:

A) Modern setting

B) Because of its unique gameplay, infinite running is needed

C) Everyone play on the same server. PUBG learning curve is quite steep so it's sth you need to be prepared

D) It's slow paced and allows alot of room for tactical thinking. 

Another the game you can try is Escape from Tarkov. Both games are the best for its genre ( in my opinion).

On 3/9/2019 at 3:18 PM, Bartholomew said:

If you've ever played the Project Reality mod for Bf2 then Squad is pretty much that on a new engine. It's also made by a lot of the same guys who worked on PR back in the day.

Project Reality Mod still has a decent amount of active servers last time I looked a few months ago as well.  You no longer need to own a copy of BF2 either. it seems to be all packaged into the PR installer.

Arma 3 is also an option. It's more focused on Coop against bots but there are PVP missions as well.  It is not really structured like a normal FPS though. You can script pretty much whatever you want in the editor so the way the game is played it very depending on who made the mission your running which can get confusing for new players.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:53 PM, Bartholomew said:

Hi,

Recently i came back to gaming after a stop of a couple of years (bf3 was most recent i played). Being naive i expected bf to have evolved not only in gfx but also gameplay (should have researched better lol).

Needless to say im dissapointed to say the least, and now looking for something else:

Post Scriptum

Insurgency and Insurgency Sandstorm

Squad

Hell Let loose

Ready or Not

Rising Storm 2 vietnam

If you are looking for an extremely hardcore shooter. I would look at Escape from tarkov. It is PvPvE and it is more enter...loot...and escape with your loot. It has lean and is extremely tactical