Had low ping to servers and now suddenly its double

Hey so to start I live in India which I think is important for my ping issues. I dont expect much from ping as most of the servers are not near India. However Fortnite does have a SEA server in singapore by amazon web services. I used to be able to play on this server with 40-60 ping everyday with the same current ISP which I have. I have port forwarded in my router to improve the experience as well. In Overwatch I used to get 90 ping connecting to the Americas. Although some may consider this high it was the lowest I used to get.

However recently for the last week my ping has almost doubled in both games. I get 150 on the same servers in fortnite while my friends in india 2 blocks down are getting the 60 ping. Same for owerwatch where I have almost doubled in ping. To test this I even tried Battlefield 5 and I went from 50-60 ping in that game to 95-115 ping. I havent changed my ISP or my plan. My internet speed are still the same with 200 upload and download.

Help please I have been struggling with this for days now.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can about it. it seems you're far away from the server(s). I'm guessing your ISP uses fiber for your internet connection?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

As mentioned above this is probably an ISP issue, the fact is you are probably sharing bandwidth with a ton of people. Resulting in increased latency, all of your data is traveling half way around the world and back as well which does not help your cause... Have you tested to see if you are actually getting 200 Megabit Up and Down, chances are your speeds could be lower than you are actually paying for... 

But just for giggles, and to see if it changes anything find the nearest fastest DNS server near you and change it to that.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, Abdul201588 said:

Unfortunately there is nothing you can about it. it seems you're far away from the server(s). I'm guessing your ISP uses fiber for your internet connection?

yes its fiber

On 3/4/2019 at 7:07 PM, UnidentifiedGold said:

As mentioned above this is probably an ISP issue, the fact is you are probably sharing bandwidth with a ton of people. Resulting in increased latency, all of your data is traveling half way around the world and back as well which does not help your cause... Have you tested to see if you are actually getting 200 Megabit Up and Down, chances are your speeds could be lower than you are actually paying for... 

But just for giggles, and to see if it changes anything find the nearest fastest DNS server near you and change it to that.

i have tried google cloud and a bunch of other dns. Sometimes randomly after i restart i get better ping for a couple of games before it returns. But the thing is I was getting good ping before so the servers arent that far away. I live in India and servers are in Singapore so I should be getting like 60 ping like before right?

Sadly it is the way the wind blows, the gateway you're using may be different than your neighbor for whatever reason the ISP may have. Using the new gateway can mean a different route.

Speaking of which, check your ping to your gateway - that is something tangible you can call your ISP with to complain about. It should be < 10ms. You should be able to see your gateway by look at your modem's IP information (or router if plugged directly in to that).

In terms of gaming however, 150ms and below is decent. There are few scenarios where you need below 100ms, back in the day playing counter strike competitively you'd want that extra edge.  If you're experiencing some problems playing the game it may be packet loss, which is something you can ask your ISP to monitor.

3 hours ago, xItz_Rewind said:

i have tried google cloud and a bunch of other dns. Sometimes randomly after i restart i get better ping for a couple of games before it returns. But the thing is I was getting good ping before so the servers arent that far away. I live in India and servers are in Singapore so I should be getting like 60 ping like before right?

From a physical standpoint I would love to say yes, Physically it would make sense for your traffic to be directly routed to the servers. But odds are your ISP is re-routing traffic around before it actually ends up at the server you are trying to connect to..

Are you running windows, a good way to test how many hops your packets are making is to do the tracert command in command prompt... I know I live in the US, but on our campus all traffic gets routed around our ISP’s internal network a few dozen places even before it reaches the global World Wide Web.. The odds are your ISP is doing something similar.. You will be surprised how many random locations your data gets routed to that makes no sense..

15 hours ago, UnidentifiedGold said:

From a physical standpoint I would love to say yes, Physically it would make sense for your traffic to be directly routed to the servers. But odds are your ISP is re-routing traffic around before it actually ends up at the server you are trying to connect to..

Are you running windows, a good way to test how many hops your packets are making is to do the tracert command in command prompt... I know I live in the US, but on our campus all traffic gets routed around our ISP’s internal network a few dozen places even before it reaches the global World Wide Web.. The odds are your ISP is doing something similar.. You will be surprised how many random locations your data gets routed to that makes no sense..

So I did the tracert command to the Singapore server and at first it was fine but then I got a lot of * * and request timed out. I that causing the problem?

6 hours ago, xItz_Rewind said:

So I did the tracert command to the Singapore server and at first it was fine but then I got a lot of * * and request timed out. I that causing the problem?

That just means some of the hops are blocking ping.

57 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself, thanks for beating me to it.

2 hours ago, Mikensan said:

rip so i guess i cant do anything thnx for the help tho

1 hour ago, UnidentifiedGold said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself, thanks for beating me to it.

feels bad i guess imma just have to play with that 150 ping thnx for the help tho

21 hours ago, xItz_Rewind said:

feels bad i guess imma just have to play with that 150 ping thnx for the help tho

Sadly unless you take over your ISP not much else then general troubleshooting that you can do..