Upgrade from Pixel 2 XL

I'm looking to upgrade from a Google Pixel 2 XL and am wondering what all the options are. The top of my list right now are either a OnePlus 6T Mclaren Edition because I love orange and vroom vroom. My other thought would be to go bleeding edge and pre-order a Samsung S10 Plus. My budget is around £1,000 but obvioulsy if I can save a bit of money that's always good. I'm completely out of the loop about Huawei or Xiaomi or whatever else is out there.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

What's your use case?? Do you take a lot of photos or play a lot of games??? Do you mind a notch??

Just now, Tarun10 said:

What's your use case?? Do you take a lot of photos or play a lot of games??? Do you mind a notch??

Just basic uses really, a lot of Reddit, Facebook, messaging etc. and the occasional video. I don't take really any photos but I like a high quality image on the off chase I do. I don't play a ton of games, right now I only have a simple low poly racing/drifting game. I don't mind a simple notch but the obscene notch of the Pixel 3 XL really puts me off. I'd love to have the highest screen to body ratio possible but I can compromise if other features are good enough. I don't need a ton of storage, I've never hit the 64GB limit of my Pixel 2 XL and I don't need dual SIM or anything fancy like that but if it comes with then I won't complain.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

1 hour ago, DuckyDan said:

Just basic uses really, a lot of Reddit, Facebook, messaging etc. and the occasional video. I don't take really any photos but I like a high quality image on the off chase I do. I don't play a ton of games, right now I only have a simple low poly racing/drifting game. I don't mind a simple notch but the obscene notch of the Pixel 3 XL really puts me off. I'd love to have the highest screen to body ratio possible but I can compromise if other features are good enough. I don't need a ton of storage, I've never hit the 64GB limit of my Pixel 2 XL and I don't need dual SIM or anything fancy like that but if it comes with then I won't complain.

Based on this I'm trying to see what about the 2 XL isn't good enough for you any longer?  Just have new-phone itch?  It's got all those things and has a great screen/body ratio for a Pixel, only other option after that is chinese phones with 0 notch, or the tear-drop notch on OnePlus 6T (or newer).

Have you used a non-Pixel (or Nexus) device before so you know what you lose with Google's clean and extra featured android?  Also the camera app won't be as good or have as many features.

31 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Based on this I'm trying to see what about the 2 XL isn't good enough for you any longer?  Just have new-phone itch?  It's got all those things and has a great screen/body ratio for a Pixel, only other option after that is chinese phones with 0 notch, or the tear-drop notch on OnePlus 6T (or newer).

Have you used a non-Pixel (or Nexus) device before so you know what you lose with Google's clean and extra featured android?  Also the camera app won't be as good or have as many features.

Well I might've cracked the screen so instead of replacing it I just thought I'd get a whole new device but then I got a new phone itch and just love technology. I'm gravitating towards the 6T because of the Mclaren edition mainly but I also think the teardrop is the most aesthetically pleasing version of the notch and they have under screen finger print readers. I'm starting to lean away from the new S10 Plus because although the hole punch looks cool, in terms of actual practicality I don't believe it's better and might even be worse than the notch seeing as though it pushes the notification bar towards the middle.

36 minutes ago, DuckyDan said:

Well I might've cracked the screen so instead of replacing it I just thought I'd get a whole new device but then I got a new phone itch and just love technology. I'm gravitating towards the 6T because of the Mclaren edition mainly but I also think the teardrop is the most aesthetically pleasing version of the notch and they have under screen finger print readers. I'm starting to lean away from the new S10 Plus because although the hole punch looks cool, in terms of actual practicality I don't believe it's better and might even be worse than the notch seeing as though it pushes the notification bar towards the middle.

Yeah that's a fair thought on both points (replacing phone, and S10+ being kinda samsung-hype).

I cannot deny that the Mclaren edition is a sexy orange, but they make you pay for it, like anything else sexy-looking tech-wise.

I'd otherwise think about the Pixel 3 (not-XL) as it's still a 5.5" screen and has all the fancy new google features like AI call filter and camera modes.  But I realize the body isn't terribly exciting (but is free of notches and doesn't have the same horrible chins compared to the Pixel 2 non-XL).

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, DuckyDan said:

Sorry for the late reply, if you still haven't bought the device. I recommend getting a normal 6T and throwing a skin or case on it. The orange is dope, I love it but it loses its value at the increased price being asked for it. If you can afford it... JUST BUY IT...