Do HP Omen laptops overheat?

HFV

I wanted to know because i'm about to trade my PC build (with a Ryzen 5 1400 and a 970) for a HP Omen 15 with a 1050ti and a i7 7700hq, i'm switching it because i need a laptop for programming at school and i can't afford to buy a laptop at the moment.

all laptops overheat. even my XPS 15, with undervolt GPU + CPU + Repaste w/ kryonaut overheats, when i run AIDA64 FPU + Kombustor.

however, during casual gaming, and when going on docs, it should be fine.

Notebookcheck is a great resource.

Judging by the processor that's either a 2016 or 2017 model, so build quality and thermals aren't quite as strong as the 2018 models.

Try finding a laptop with Intel's 8 generation coffe lake h processor opposed to a kaby lake processor. The i5-8300H performs on par with Intels' i7-7700H.

7 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

all laptops overheat

not true if tuned properly

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I would argue the other way. You should not have to undervolt to get acceptable temperatures. Making sure temperatures are acceptable should be the manafacturer's responsibility.

For the most part with the exception of the thickest gaming models the best we can hope for is to maintain base clock at 80-90c. That is assuming the manafacturer didnt impose an arbitrary power limit on the components. This is ridiculous.

Problems:

1. No architecture improvement in Intel CPU but keep pushing up clock speed and core count

2. Manufacturers put bad stock paste in most cases to save cost

3. Manufacturers design cooling solution that can just barely handle the total heat output to save cost, instead of adding additional heatpipes (or cheap out on cooling solution, causing thermal throttling)

4. Laptops nowadays are getting more compact (smaller, thinner)

Tweaks must be done

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

15 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Problems:

1. No architecture improvement in Intel CPU but keep pushing up clock speed and core count

Manafacturers should account for this in their design.

Again manafacturer's should account for this in their design. Cost is not the only factor in their choice of paste. The gummy paste is used because it lasts forever.

3. Manufacturers design cooling solution that can just barely handle the total heat output to save cost, instead of adding additional heatpipes (or cheap out on cooling solution, causing thermal throttling)

Again manafacturers should be held responsible for these poor designs.

This trend is complete crap. If it cant retain at least base clock it is virtually unusable.

Tweaks must be done

Again not by the consumer. Manafacturers should be held accountable for these piss poor designs. The tweaks need to be made in the engineering process, not by a half assed piece of software.

55 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Problems:

Tweaks must be done

even if i tweak (undervolt, kryonaut), it still either gets 95c+ or gets earrape loud.

12 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Manafacturers should be held accountable for these piss poor designs

Unfortunately most manufacturers don't care all these things, they just want to save cost

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 2/27/2019 at 6:47 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Agreed, undervolt optimised and perhaps repasted!

Dunno about HP ovens though, KEK