• Case:  Cooler Master Storm Trooper | Stryker
  • Monitor: BenQ XL2420-Z (1080p 144Hz)
  • Secondary storage: 
    • 128GB SSD OS boot drive
    • 256GB SSD main games drive 
    • 2TB HHD Steam sale drive 
    • 1TB HHD miscellaneous drive

Budget & Location

I live in Toronto so I'm buying everything in $CAD maple scented monopoly money. I do not know what I need to upgrade so I can't really give a set number for my budget.

Aim

This system is mainly for playing games. Although I might do some Unity or Gamermaker for school on it. I play/ plan on playing the following games: 

• Rainbow Six Siege
  • Steep
  • Apex Legends
  • Borderlands The Pre-Sequel
  • Dead Cells
  • Binding of Issac 
  • Generation Zero 
  • Cyberpunk 2077

Monitors

Right now I just have the one monitor but I might want to have another at some point. Not for a multi-monitor gaming but for playing a game like BOI and having a Youtube video playing on the other screen. 

Peripherals

I already have all the peripherals I need for right now.  

• Headset: Steelserise 5Hv3 
  • Mouse: Razer Trinity
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014
  • Mouse Pad: Razer Vespula V1

Why are you upgrading?

This was a prebuilt gaming PC. The only upgrade I have done over the years is to add more secondary storage (2 SSD's and 2 HHD's). I've noticed that I am having to play more and more games at low settings to get comfortably over 60 FPS. My goal is to play games at my monitors highest output. I'm not sure what I need to do in order to achieve that so any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I missed any information or you'd like to get more information. 

I would get a better GPU. This depends on your budget but RX 580s are great for 1080p and should do great with 100+ fps. If you have the money go for an RTX 2060. If you don't mind used you could get a 1070/1070 ti or Vega 56 for a great price on eBay. A 1070 on eBay is the cheapest option and will bring you 1080p happiness. 

Upgrade PSUs to something of a better quality along with the GPU. 

I would just start there for now and maybe upgrade mobo, CPU and RAM when you feel it necessary. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

4790k should be good for pretty much anything up to 1080/2070 performance.  It may keep you from pushing 140+ FPS in some cases, but it should be plenty for up to 1440p/120hz.

If you need more CPU power, de-lid and OC to ~4.8ghz.

@ChewToy! Thanks for the advice. I will look around my area for a 1070/1070ti. In regards to my PSU what would be better quality? I do not know anything about power supplies. 

Anything with a 80 plus rating should be fine. 600 watts and up would work for that setup. Good luck!

Just now, italianpoutine said:

@KarathKasun This seems like a silly question to ask but how would I know if I need more CPU power?

Use Afterburner to overlay graphs of CPU and GPU usage on your game.

If you see GPU usage drop and CPU load pegged at some multiple of 100/thread count (~12.5% would be a single thread game on an 8 thread system) you are likely being limited by your CPU.

7 minutes ago, italianpoutine said:

@ChewToy! Thanks for the advice. I will look around my area for a 1070/1070ti. In regards to my PSU what would be better quality? I do not know anything about power supplies. 

Take a look at this PSU list. Anything above Tier C will do. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Use Afterburner to overlay graphs of CPU and GPU usage on your game.

I'll test that out, thank you!  

2 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

Take a look at this PSU list. Anything above Tier C will do. 

That really helps, Thank you! With the 1070/1070ti is there a certain GB for the card I should look to get?

13 minutes ago, Elevate said:

Anything with a 80 plus rating should be fine. 600 watts and up would work for that setup. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!

26 minutes ago, italianpoutine said:

That really helps, Thank you! With the 1070/1070ti is there a certain GB for the card I should look to get?

GB as in the memory size? I think they're all 8gb. The 1060 and 2060 have 6gb, 1070 and 1070 ti have 8gb.

5 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

GB as in the memory size? I think they're all 8gb. The 1060 and 2060 have 6gb, 1070 and 1070 ti have 8gb.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.