Different (2x8) ram kits compatibility.

Go to solution Solved by HoneyBadger84,

It will likely add some stress to the memory controller, and keep in mind you'll want to re-stability test if you're running any kind of overclock. I had an OC that was tested stable when running 2x8GB of my kit of memory but when I put the other 2 sticks in, it was unstable enough that it blue screened out of nowhere. I'm assuming I just need to bump some secondary voltages, but I haven't bothered yet as I think I'm going to just get a 2x16GB kit instead. 

Side note, the 4x8GB setup did test perfectly stable at stock/quot everything with XMP enabled though. 

I've been using G.Skill ripjaws memory 3200 cl 16 (2x8). I've noticed lately when using obs and tabbing in and out of full-screen games (specifically apex as of late which seems to use moire ram than most games I play) my PC cannot transition very well which has led me to believe I just don't have enough memory for everything to be loaded. I am considering adding another (2x8) kit at the same speeds giving me (4x8) . Will I have compatibility issues doing this, not having the same stick even if they are the same speed and latency? I specifically had me eyes on the corsair rgb kit because I feel like like it will finish off my build nicely since I have a lot of corsair components. Might I just need to bite the bullet and get a full (4x8) kit?

• GeForce GTX 1070 Founders 8gb
  • Intel i7-8700k - H60 Corsair AIO Cooler
  • MSI Z370 M5
  • EVGA Supernova 750 Watt 
  • 2 x 8 G. Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200 cl 16.
  • Phanteks Eclipse P300
  • 500 gb samsung 960 evo / 1tb hdd
  • Corsair K70 rgb cherry mx blue - YMDK PBT Double Shot Pudding Keycaps
  • Corsair M65 RGB pro (weights removed) 400 dpi. 
  • Bravo Audio V2 Amp
  • Massdrop AKG K7XX

My shit runs perfectly fine.. Just defaults to slowest speed(1600).

53taV5f.png

1 hour ago, MasonCase said:

I've been using G.Skill ripjaws memory 3200 cl 16 (2x8). I've noticed lately when using obs and tabbing in and out of full-screen games (specifically apex as of late which seems to use moire ram than most games I play) my PC cannot transition very well which has led me to believe I just don't have enough memory for everything to be loaded. I am considering adding another (2x8) kit at the same speeds giving me (4x8) . Will I have compatibility issues doing this, not having the same stick even if they are the same speed and latency? I specifically had me eyes on the corsair rgb kit because I feel like like it will finish off my build nicely since I have a lot of corsair components. Might I just need to bite the bullet and get a full (4x8) kit?

You must set the RAM speed and timings to the slower RAM and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

It will likely add some stress to the memory controller, and keep in mind you'll want to re-stability test if you're running any kind of overclock. I had an OC that was tested stable when running 2x8GB of my kit of memory but when I put the other 2 sticks in, it was unstable enough that it blue screened out of nowhere. I'm assuming I just need to bump some secondary voltages, but I haven't bothered yet as I think I'm going to just get a 2x16GB kit instead. 

Side note, the 4x8GB setup did test perfectly stable at stock/quot everything with XMP enabled though. 

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, data55 said:

My shit runs perfectly fine.. Just defaults to slowest speed(1600).

53taV5f.png

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

You must set the RAM speed and timings to the slower RAM and what not.

So if they are both the same frequency and timings I should be good to go without lowering either right?

• MSI Z370 M5
  • Phanteks Eclipse P300
  • Bravo Audio V2 Amp
  • Massdrop AKG K7XX

2 minutes ago, HoneyBadger84 said:

Awesome thanks for the insight

• MSI Z370 M5
  • Phanteks Eclipse P300
  • Bravo Audio V2 Amp
  • Massdrop AKG K7XX

1 minute ago, MasonCase said:

Awesome thanks for the insight

Other than possibly needing a tiny bump on some voltages, it should "just work" if the timings & speed are matched.  I'm still researching which ones I most likely need to bump, I'm learning as I go with my Z390/9900K, there's a looooot more stuff that you can and sometimes need to change than my previous i7 3930k/x79 setup when it comes to getting the system happy with all DIMMs populated. 

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor