Need experts opinion on building a machine for graphic designing

I'm a graphics designer, I will build a pc within 3-4 months. I do casual gaming, so my main emphasis should be on adobe InDesign, illustrator and Photoshop. Which machine would you guys suggest me for next 4-5 years or so?

I was thinking of going for an i7 8700 build with 16higs or ram, gpu won't be mandatory for my InDesign or ps because I use cs6 (older version) for my office compatibility, cs6 is not optimized for gpu usage, So I guess igpu would be enough to serve my purpose, there's also an option for Ryzen 2700x but I'm skeptical for my old cs6 optimization issue with ryzen cpus and how the ryzen will perform compared to i7 8700 because some benchmark shows i7 domitases on adobe photoshop yet I'm not clear about InDesign's performance, should I go for ryzen or intel? Or should I wait for 10th generation intel or ryzen 3000?

if you can wait, amd 7nm will give you a better cpu then either choice, if you want the best cpu for indesign now, get the 8700k, if you care more about future upgradability, go with the ryzen 2700x (if your going to be waiting 4 months another 2-3 months of waiting does not seem unreasnable, unless you need the pc now)

neither cpu will struggle in majority of id and ps use cases, one of my friends uses in design with a sandy bridge (2nd gen) xeon but with a new ssd (samsung 860 evo 1tb he says that indesign is very responsive- it is not a program that needs the highest end of cpu's.

btw what is your budget for a build?

also what system do you have now?

18 hours ago, k.m.p said:

btw what is your budget for a build?

also what system do you have now?

My budget is 600usd max,

I currently use a q6600 with 4gigs of ram and an radeon hd5450 with it.

It barely does the work.

18 hours ago, k.m.p said:

if you can wait, amd 7nm will give you a better cpu then either choice, if you want the best cpu for indesign now, get the 8700k, if you care more about future upgradability, go with the ryzen 2700x (if your going to be waiting 4 months another 2-3 months of waiting does not seem unreasnable, unless you need the pc now)

neither cpu will struggle in majority of id and ps use cases, one of my friends uses in design with a sandy bridge (2nd gen) xeon but with a new ssd (samsung 860 evo 1tb he says that indesign is very responsive- it is not a program that needs the highest end of cpu's.

I currently use a q6600 with 4gigs of ram and a radeon hd5450 with it.

It barely does the work.

18 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Thanks, it actually is informative.

11 minutes ago, Sandbox360 said:

I currently use a q6600 with 4gigs of ram and a radeon hd5450 with it.

It barely does the work.

your system is over 10 years old, even a midrange system with a ryzen 5 2600 and 16gb of ram with a nvidia 1060 and a ssd will give you a massive upgrade over what you have, you may not need to go with a high end system considering that it is even possible to do your work on that rig.

Edit: I chose the amd cpu as an example due to future upgradability since you said that you wanted the system to run for 4-5 years, the amd cpu has upgradability to next gen ryzen and the one after that if you need it. If you want to go intel it is about the same performance as an i5 8400 in single threaded and slightly quicker then 8600 in multi threaded workloads (eg adobe premier)

4 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

your system is over 10 years old, even a midrange system with a ryzen 5 2600 and 16gb of ram with a nvidia 1060 and a ssd will give you a massive upgrade over what you have, you may not need to go with a high end system considering that it is even possible to do your work on that rig.

Edit: I chose the amd cpu as an example due to future upgradability since you said that you wanted the system to run for 4-5 years, the amd cpu has upgradability to next gen ryzen and the one after that if you need it. If you want to go intel it is about the same performance as an i5 8400 in single threaded and slightly quicker then 8600 in multi threaded workloads (eg adobe premier)

its actually worse in single thread, 10%, even after OC.

I don't want to get in between intel vs ryzen, I'm already in a dilemma. I just want a future proof machine, if I take a i7 8700 and upgrade the gpu after a month or so? Would that be a good decision?

I just want best sustainable performance for next 4-5 years and a hassle free work system.

By build list

I7 8700

Gigabyte b360 hd3

Corsair vengeance 2400mhz 8gb*2

Transcend 128gb ssd (I already have a wd blue 1tb mechanical hdd)

Gtx1050ti

Corsair 450w psu

Cooler Master MasterAir MA410P

Thermaltake j21 case

Can you guys check the build and suggest edits or replacements?

7 hours ago, Sandbox360 said:

By build list

I7 8700

Gigabyte b360 hd3

Corsair vengeance 2400mhz 8gb*2

Transcend 128gb ssd (I already have a wd blue 1tb mechanical hdd)

Gtx1050ti

Corsair 450w psu

Cooler Master MasterAir MA410P

Thermaltake j21 case

Can you guys check the build and suggest edits or replacements?

If you want it to be future proof, get the 8700K (overclockable) so that if you want extra performance then you can overclock (or let the motherboard do it for you) 

But you will need a z370 motherboard to do so

Other changes would be to get an arctic freezer 33 cooler instead since it has a longer warranty of 10 years and is cheaper.

Like I said before, a high speed ssd will make  a big difference in file heavy programs, if would be worth it to get an samsung 860 evo 500gb or even 1tb, even at the cost of a cpu (going down to an 8600K)

43 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

If you want it to be future proof, get the 8700K (overclockable) so that if you want extra performance then you can overclock (or let the motherboard do it for you) 

But you will need a z370 motherboard to do so

Other changes would be to get an arctic freezer 33 cooler instead since it has a longer warranty of 10 years and is cheaper.

Like I said before, a high speed ssd will make  a big difference in file heavy programs, if would be worth it to get an samsung 860 evo 500gb or even 1tb, even at the cost of a cpu (going down to an 8600K)

Why not a 970evo?

8 hours ago, Sandbox360 said:

Why not a 970evo?

It costs twice as much while not improving real world performance that much, it is faster but the file sizes your working with in photoshop and indesign are barely enough to push a 860 evo to its limit, you'd be better off with a 1tb 860 than a 500gb 970 evo

Sorry for the delayed responses, will answer any other questions, but wont be able to respond instantly

6 hours ago, k.m.p said:

It costs twice as much while not improving real world performance that much, it is faster but the file sizes your working with in photoshop and indesign are barely enough to push a 860 evo to its limit, you'd be better off with a 1tb 860 than a 500gb 970 evo

Would you prefer a wd green ssd over Samsung? It is way much cheaper im my loc. 

And why didn't suggest i5 9600k ? same price as 8600k in my loc.

Checked it

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Green-240GB-2016-vs-Samsung-860-Evo-250GB/m204096vs3949

Samsung is waay much faster.

OP if your budget is only 600USD i would consider looking into used hardware, but if you need a new system I would probably do a 2400g build and then add a dedicated GPU later on in the future 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

47 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

OP if your budget is only 600USD i would consider looking into used hardware, but if you need a new system I would probably do a 2400g build and then add a dedicated GPU later on in the future 

600usd without hdd, gpu and monitor.

Ps my 600usd budget is excluding gpu and monitor.

10 minutes ago, Sandbox360 said:

600usd without hdd, gpu and monitor.

ahh that's way easier lol 

This leaning more towards content creation, also leaving some room assuming you need peripherals (Mouse/Keyboard) still

And This would be more balanced and better suited towards gaming with some better ram is what i would honestly recommend, the 8700 is still good, but I've had good luck with the 2600, especially since you can overclock it

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

1 hour ago, Sandbox360 said:

Would you prefer a wd green ssd over Samsung? It is way much cheaper im my loc. 

And why didn't suggest i5 9600k ? same price as 8600k in my loc.

As its already mentioned a 860 evo is faster then wd green

8700K has higher base clock then 9600K, I recomend 8600K only if you cannot afford an i7 and a 860 evo ssd

2 hours ago, k.m.p said:

As its already mentioned a 860 evo is faster then wd green

8700K has higher base clock then 9600K, I recomend 8600K only if you cannot afford an i7 and a 860 evo ssd

I can afford both but non k one of i7

Here the i7 8700k is 70-80usd more than the non k. 

1 hour ago, Sandbox360 said:

I can afford both but non k one of i7

Here the i7 8700k is 70-80usd more than the non k. 

In that case get the i5 K, with what you are doing clock speed matters more than threadcount, an i5 at a higher frequency will be faster than an i7

Than what cooler would you suggest from thermaltake or coolermaster for i5 9600k or 8600k?