What the hell is this

I just put together a brand new water-cooling loop, with parts from EKWB. I'm running distilled water, and after a few weeks, I found this in my water block 

The most baffling part to me is that water does not even flow through that part of the waterblock!

IMG_4852 (1).JPG

30 minutes ago, dragonxt said:

I just put together a brand new water-cooling loop, with parts from EKWB. I'm running distilled water, and after a few weeks, I found this in my water block 

The most baffling part to me is that water does not even flow through that part of the waterblock!

You may want to take a zoomed out photo for us to get an idea of what section we are looking at exactly. As for the section with no fluid running through it there is a small amount of bleeding that goes past it since it doesn't have a seal on it. 

Looks like potential build up if the loop wasn't flushed and preped, also what additives are you running? 

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

You may want to take a zoomed out photo for us to get an idea of what section we are looking at exactly. As for the section with no fluid running through it there is a small amount of bleeding that goes past it since it doesn't have a seal on it. 

Looks like potential build up if the loop wasn't flushed and preped, also what additives are you running? 

None just distilled water. Though I did run Primo Prep before pouring straight distilled water. I still have to buy additives. But I still don't understand why that's happening in an area with no flow. I have no blockage anywhere else. I've also been swapping the water every week

IMG_4860.JPG

1 minute ago, dragonxt said:

None just distilled water. Though I did run Primo Prep before pouring straight distilled water. I still have to buy additives. But I still don't understand why that's happening in an area with no flow. I have no blockage anywhere else. 

That area has flow it's just very insignificant since there is a divider. Did you clean out the rads and properly flush them before assembly hard to say exactly what it is but could be residue for manufacturing. 

Also you will want to use a premix or additive soon, running a loop on just distilled water can easily get growth. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

That area has flow it's just very insignificant since there is a divider. Did you clean out the rads and properly flush them before assembly hard to say exactly what it is but could be residue for manufacturing. 

Also you will want to use a premix or additive soon, running a loop on just distilled water can easily get growth. 

Well, I contacted ek about it. Let's see what they say. In the meantime im going to put in some dish soap. Is any kind of dish soap okay? I don't have Dawn. 

2 minutes ago, dragonxt said:

Well, I contacted ek about it. Let's see what they say. In the meantime im going to put in some dish soap. Is any kind of dish soap okay? I don't have Dawn. 

No, don't put dish soap where did you get that idea, it's just going to foam up and not do any good. 

Also did you clean the rads????

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

No, don't put dish soap where did you get that idea, it's just going to foam up and not do any good. 

Also did you clean the rads????

That's what they recommended I do as I have run out of sys prep. Also, yes I thoroughly shook the rads before putting them in. However, I have not used Mayhems blitz kit or anything special. 

I suppose what I want to know is how should I fix it? Preferably a product I can buy and run in the loop. (Don't want to take it apart).

That's what they recommended I do as I have run out of sys prep. Also, yes I thoroughly shook the rads before putting them in. However, I have not used Mayhems blitz kit or anything special. 

Being new rads properly flushing and rinsing them usually is enough to get most of the junk from manufacturing out. After the sys prep did you flush the whole loop a few times over with distilled water, all the sys prep needs to be removed before new fluid is put in. 

3 hours ago, W-L said:

Being new rads properly flushing and rinsing them usually is enough to get most of the junk from manufacturing out. After the sys prep did you flush the whole loop a few times over with distilled water, all the sys prep needs to be removed before new fluid is put in. 

Yes of course. 72 hours is what primochill advises. After that I replaced distilled water once a week too. 

Either way, clearly there's something wrong with the water/there was dirt somewhere. Anyway, the buildup is pretty light. Any products I should use to clear it?

Also, are you sure there's waterflow in that area? Looking even closer, there is a clear acrylic barrier between areas of flow and this center area where there's build up. It looks completely sealed off.

10 hours ago, dragonxt said:

Yes of course. 72 hours is what primochill advises. After that I replaced distilled water once a week too. 

Either way, clearly there's something wrong with the water/there was dirt somewhere. Anyway, the buildup is pretty light. Any products I should use to clear it?

Also, are you sure there's waterflow in that area? Looking even closer, there is a clear acrylic barrier between areas of flow and this center area where there's build up. It looks completely sealed off.

There isn’t a oring so water can weep between the acrylic and the metal block between the two sections however little that may be. As for cleaning it the only way would be to take it out and to try and flush it, if that doesn’t work then you will most likely need to take it apart to clean it out. I would take a close look at the micro fins to see if there is any kind of potential clogging. 

On 2/5/2019 at 9:17 AM, W-L said:

There isn’t a oring so water can weep between the acrylic and the metal block between the two sections however little that may be. As for cleaning it the only way would be to take it out and to try and flush it, if that doesn’t work then you will most likely need to take it apart to clean it out. I would take a close look at the micro fins to see if there is any kind of potential clogging. 

According to customer support, I need to replace the o-ring. They acknowledge it is a defect. Water is not supposed to flow there. 

7 minutes ago, dragonxt said:

According to customer support, I need to replace the o-ring. They acknowledge it is a defect. Water is not supposed to flow there. 

What oring are they referring to, if you had a bad oring that seals the block your rig would be under water at this point. That area is just a divider between the two sections of the block for inlet and outlet which has no actual seal. Which mode of the monoblock do you have exactly? 

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

What oring are they referring to, if you had a bad oring that seals the block your rig would be under water at this point. That area is just a divider between the two sections of the block for inlet and outlet which has no actual seal. Which mode of the monoblock do you have exactly? 

That's exactly what I said! There is no O-Ring, just Acrylic and metal. 

I sent them another email asking them if they are 100% sure. I have the Monoblock for the z370-e. Still waiting for a response

That's exactly what I said! There is no O-Ring, just Acrylic and metal. 

I sent them another email asking them if they are 100% sure. I have the Monoblock for the z370-e. Still waiting for a response

Pretty certain they are just mistaken, it's common to have fluid to weep between the divider sections since it's just acrylic and metal block, however the particles that are present is a different story, that might have been something like dust that must have gotten stuck between there which would be my best guess but can't say for sure. 

You see this very commonly with pastel fluids where you will will see a small build up of the nanoparticles that get themselves stuck between the two materials.