ASUS PG279q vs PG279qz: Whats the difference???

http_warrior

I was going to buy a pg279q monitor (which is ~$700) when I noticed that there was another version, the pg279qz, ( ~$600) so I went to investigate the differences. The only source of information I could find was on rtings.com:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/asus-rog-pg279q-vs-asus-pg279qz/578/727

So the difference is a 70nit less bright screen on the pg279qz for a $100 price reduction. My question is whether this will make a noticeable difference playing games and if I should buy the pg279qz if it doesn't make a difference?

Thanks!

Interesting that the third party site you linked shows a difference in brightness but ASUS claims (comparing on their website) them to both be 350nit peak.   Just a guess but the Q is an older model (amazon shows first available 2015) and they probably started to use a different panel for late 2018 and newer and decided to make a new model name for it (your link shows they went from direct backlight to edge, hence my assumption).  Amazon Canada shows the newer QR for $300 cheaper for me, I know which one I'd buy if I needed a new monitor ?.

Most people don't run their display at max brightness anyways, I doubt you'd notice a difference.  

Anyone else notice that these have become rare as hens teeth recently? Can't seem to find any PG279QZ anywhere. Asus didn't announce any replacements at CES in its size and price range did it?

• 3 months later...

I was researching this and stumbled upon this post: I am writing this to documented to help future buyers to avoid the model PG279QZ  ( " Z " ) I had mine for long time now the original PG279Q and i was shocked when my friends bought his new Z monitor that i instantly noticed a difference but I assumed its the profile or the factory calibration so I tried to tweak mine and his and played around with settings and just assumed its a placebo coz i don't have them side by side to compare, but now after reading rtings comparison its confirming my findings there is clearly a difference in brightness between them and the old pg279q better.

if you are not very picky person or never used the pg279q daily then compared them , you won't notice the difference and the 100$ saving is worth it

Edited by 1988fido