RAM Question

EchoBlue

Hey all.

Let's talk about RAM. 

I see that there the price of RAM has gone have quite a lot and doesn't seem to be going down.

Now I noticed RGB RAM on the market and all I want to know is...

1. RGB RAM are just for show?

2. I would like to know if you should buy the speed of the RAM the motherboard supports or you don't have to?

For example, if the motherboard supports up to 3600Mhz is that the speed I should look for when looking for RAM?

3. Which brand do you recommend or it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

Hey all.

Let's talk about RAM. 

I see that there the price of RAM has gone have quite a lot and doesn't seem to be going down.

Now I noticed RGB RAM on the market and all I want to know is...

1. RGB RAM are just for show?

2. I would like to know if you should buy the speed of the RAM the motherboard supports or you don't have to?

For example, if the motherboard supports up to 3600Mhz is that the speed I should look for when looking for RAM?

3. Which brand do you recommend or it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

1. Yes.

2. Anything over 3200Mhz CL16 is basically overkill and has little real world performance benefits. The spec listed on your board is the maximum speed that it has been validated to run, but it doesn't mean that your specific copy of the board or CPU will run at that speed.

3. Brand doesn't matter, but manufacturers can with Ryzen. All DRAM in the world is manufacturer by three companies. With Intel, it doesn't really matter, but Ryzen seems to like Samsung over Hynix.

30 minutes ago, badreg said:

1. Yes.

2. Anything over 3200Mhz CL16 is basically overkill and has little real world performance benefits. The spec listed on your board is the maximum speed that it has been validated to run, but it doesn't mean that your specific copy of the board or CPU will run at that speed.

3. Brand doesn't matter, but manufacturers can with Ryzen. All DRAM in the world is manufacturer by three companies. With Intel, it doesn't really matter, but Ryzen seems to like Samsung over Hynix.

Do you know if Samsung makes RGB RAM? 

What speed of RAM should I get then?

Samsung is an OEM of DRAM modules. Companies like Corsair and G.Skill buy the memory modules from OEMs and assemble them into retail RAM kits that you can buy. They are also the ones that design the heat spreaders and incorporate RGB lighting into their products.

It is not always possible to know what modules are inside each SKU because manufacturers source the modules from various places. You can try to infer by what other people report and by the timings, but it is not guaranteed.

Your other question is already answered above. Get the cheapest 3200Mhz CL16 kit that you can find. If you are going to buy a Ryzen, then do your research about the specific kit that you are buying to make sure that you will be able to run at the rated speed.