Installing windows 10 onto an ssd

lavablade02

I already have an hdd in my system, and am putting in the drive to boot from. How do I download windows onto the ssd?

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

The Hard drive already has windows right??

Follow this video but just copy the system partition usually C. Once your SSD is up and running with windows after clone, you need to reformat your hard drive to remove duplicate system files. before you format, make sure you backup other data on your SSD or somewhere else or you can redownload them.

If you want a clean install you'll need to download the windows media creation tool.

Get yourself an 8gb+ usb drive and run through the tool.

Install windows by booting from the usb running through the install wizard, which is pretty simple these days.

-アパゾ

Just now, APasz said:

If you want a clean install you'll need to download the windows media creation tool.

Get yourself an 8gb+ usb drive and run through the tool.

Install windows by booting from the usb running through the install wizard, which is pretty simple these days.

so could I then just put the ssd as top boot priority and not have to reinstall everything on my hdd, and just reinstall things that breaks?

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Yeup.

I've done it a couple times. Some programs (drivers especially) really don't like it and can break in weird ways, so as long as you keep that in mind, you should be all good.

-アパゾ

2 minutes ago, APasz said:

Yeup.

I've done it a couple times. Some programs (drivers especially) really don't like it and can break in weird ways, so as long as you keep that in mind, you should be all good.

How do I get my key for windows off the HDD?

No need if you aren't changing the mobo, as with win10 the cdkey is linked to the mobo.

If whatever reason it chucks a wobbly, call up microsoft and they'll sort you out.

Or you could link your key to a MS account.

-アパゾ