Seasonic 750w - slow rattling noise under medium load

Tigrou
Go to solution Solved by Tigrou,

I have received Corsair unit and installed it. This one is DEAD silent even under heavy load (eg : AAA game at max settings).

Could not be happier.

It's a little heartbreaking to return the Seasonic (it's a beautiful PSU in a great package) but only one can stay and silence is important to me. Seems some other people are also complaining about noise (i'm not the only one) 

I have a brand new Seasonic  prime platinium (750W)

With no load => no problem. Fan is not spinning at all.

Under medium load (eg: running CS:GO) => the fan start spinning for 5 sec, making some slight rattling noise. then it stop. Then 5 second after, start spinning again.

I think the start / stop is normal : heat accumulate => fan spinning, then it cool down right after => fan stop.

What is no OK is the noise. 

I can hear it with my HyperX Cloud 2 headset while playing CS:GO if case is open. It's not that bad but it ruin silent built.

If I push the button behind the power supply => the fan spin slightly faster and continuously (to be expected), and no rattling noise. It's quite silent.

Is this normal ?

Should I return the unit ?

If the fan makes rattling noise, then you might want to get a new PSU or send your current one back to get fan replaced.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I have made a video of it :

Sorry about poor quality.

It sound like my built is noisy but it isn't.

The rattling noise is only under some games.

Here it's constant. Sometimes it start / stop.

2 hours ago, Tigrou said:

I have a brand new Seasonic  prime platinium (750W)

With no load => no problem. Fan is not spinning at all.

Under medium load (eg: running CS:GO) => the fan start spinning for 5 sec, making some slight rattling noise. then it stop. Then 5 second after, start spinning again.

I think the start / stop is normal : heat accumulate => fan spinning, then it cool down right after => fan stop.

What is no OK is the noise. 

I can hear it with my HyperX Cloud 2 headset while playing CS:GO if case is open. It's not that bad but it ruin silent built.

If I push the button behind the power supply => the fan spin slightly faster and continuously (to be expected), and no rattling noise. It's quite silent.

Is this normal ?

Should I return the unit ?

Yeah.  That fan often has motor noise at lower RPMs.

That's why when Corsair leveraged the PRIME platform for their new AX Titanium series, we opted for a higher starting RPM.  

You can see the difference in the fan profiles at Cybernetics website.

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  That fan often has motor noise at lower RPMs.

That's why when Corsair leveraged the PRIME platform for their new AX Titanium series, we opted for a higher starting RPM.  

You can see the difference in the fan profiles at Cybernetics website.

I 'm considering returning the unit (no RMA) and buying a Corsair RM750X instead. Cost about 40 EUR less, perform similarly. It is very silent according most users (and I will get sleeved cables for PCIe not those flat ones...). And yep I read your reviews about each of them :)

33 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

I have made a video of it :

Sorry about poor quality (was made from smartphone).

It sound like my built is noisy but it isn't.

The rattling noise is only under some games.

Here it's constant. Sometimes it start / stop.

I have had a similar issue with my PSU (Focus+ Gold 750W) - and got a replacement unit after sending it for an RMA. I must say that the Seasonic support was of a great help throughout the resolution of my issue (you might try contacting them directly).

I had very similar symptoms - ticking noise under medium load. However, in my case, it seemed to be unrelated to the fan - the noise was present even if the fan was not spinning at all. But who knows ?

20 minutes ago, WIGs said:

However, in my case, it seemed to be unrelated to the fan - the noise was present even if the fan was not spinning at all. But who knows ?

i have another video :

You can see the noise is present even before the fan start spinning (noise might still came from fan/motor anyway)

1 minute ago, Tigrou said:

You can see the noise is present even before the fan start spinning (noise might still came from fan/motor anyway)

The sound (and the frequency of the "ticks") is really very similar to my case. In my case, the fan didn't seem to try spinning up as in your case (I capped the GPU power-limit in order to stay in the passive range), but the ticking noise was still present (and annoyingly loud).

56 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

I will get sleeved cables for PCIe not those flat ones...

RMx PCIe cables are sleeved.

Just not individually sleeved.

I ended up buying a Corsair RM750X. Hope that one will bring me stability and silence (what i'm looking for).

The seasonic might be slightly better from an electric point of view but i don't care.

I have probably been unlucky (getting a faulty model), but I don't understand why putting a rather cheap Hong Hua fan in 140 EUR model. Does not make sense to me.    

• 2 weeks later...

I have received Corsair unit and installed it. This one is DEAD silent even under heavy load (eg : AAA game at max settings).

Could not be happier.

It's a little heartbreaking to return the Seasonic (it's a beautiful PSU in a great package) but only one can stay and silence is important to me. Seems some other people are also complaining about noise (i'm not the only one) 

19 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Could not be happier.

Happy to hear that. It is indeed a pity - I also like my Seasonic PSU, however, even the replacement unit I got seems to be getting noisy at times (although in a different and less disturbing manner). Perhaps I will switch to a different PSU later on (Corsair, perhaps).