PC crashing with vertical lines

danipoz

I've been expiriencing a crash where my screen would show vertical lines usually when playing games. Sometiems they are red/orange and gray. I got a R9 270 2GB  which is overclocked to 1050/1500. When i google 'vertical lines pc crash' every thread about that is with AMD cards , 90% time R9 Series. The thing is that sometiems it wont crash for months and then crashes few times a week. In other threads they usually say GPU is dying but i dont think its that because it cant be that alot of AMD cards are dying with the same crash. Could it be a driver related problem? Temperatures are completely fine, doesnt go above 75 in demanding games.

15 minutes ago, danipoz said:

because it cant be that alot of AMD cards are dying with the same crash

Why not? The symptoms you describe (random crashes, artifacting, etc) are a textbook example for what I would say is either an unstable oc or more likely your card just on its way out.

Just now, Silver47 said:

Why not? The symptoms you describe (random crashes, artifacting, etc) are a textbook example for what I would say is either an unstable oc or more likely your card just on its way out.

Not really artifacts. Heres an example. https://imgur.com/a/K4DYn19 Sometimes its different collors.

Still, as @Silver47 said, textbook example for a bad overclock and/or dying GPU

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

10 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Still, as @Silver47 said, textbook example for a bad overclock and/or dying GPU

Bad overclock? I overclocked with Radeon Settings and just used the slider to max out the gpu/memory clock which is 1050/1500 mhz. (max amd allows). Didn't even touch MSI Afterburner to disable the suggested limit. So you're telling me that my gpu is dying for more than 2 years and still did not die? I dont think so.
EDIT: Also you're telling me everyones R9 series gpu is dying in the same way, overclocked or not.

13 minutes ago, danipoz said:

Bad overclock? I overclocked with Radeon Settings and just used the slider to max out the gpu/memory clock which is 1050/1500 mhz. (max amd allows). Didn't even touch MSI Afterburner to disable the suggested limit. So you're telling me that my gpu is dying for more than 2 years and still did not die? I dont think so.
EDIT: Also you're telling me everyones R9 series gpu is dying in the same way, overclocked or not.

Welcome to the silicone lottery. Maybe your card just cannot even handle the max AMD allows?

I of course could be completely wrong here, but it's what it sounds like to me. Take it or leave it

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

6 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Welcome to the silicone lottery. Maybe your card just cannot even handle the max AMD allows?

I of course could be completely wrong here, but it's what it sounds like to me. Take it or leave it

If it can't handle the OC why does it run flawlessly for months and month then randomly crashe few times a week. A year or so ago i tried to ignore the suggested limit and OC it even more. I oc'ed to 1065 and it ran perfectly fine for an hour in Heaven. When i increased the clock more to 1075 and running heaven it crashed but not like this. It just freezed the screen and i had to restart my pc.