Local Server (work and gaming)

Spit79

Hi, 

I have been a long time viewer of the Linus Tech Tips videos and more recently have started looking at the forums however this is my first post so please be kind.

I was hoping that someone could provide me with a link to a guide or a product that I can just get off the shelf to achieve what I am after.

I live in a pretty dodgy area in regards to some of the local population and extremes in weather events (fires, floods and cyclones) so have decided to build a dedicated server/services room in my new office which I will use to store all of our important files with some form of offsite cloud storage service.

My question or goal is to find out if there is some sort of easy build / off the shelf solution for a local server that can run multiple bare-bones stations in the office with the sort of performance that could have 10 people playing AAA titles from the hardware located in the nice cool, secure server room? And noting that a LOT of games now days need a persistent online connection to play (even in single player) the server would have to be able to have all of those bare-bones pc's connect to the internet as if they were traditional gaming PC's.  I am still in the building phase so can run any sort of local cabling required etc... 

I would love something like the shadow systems linus just reviewed but as a local solution as I doubt that they will set up anything in the middle nowhere in Queensland, Australia and the shadow stuff probably wouldn't be the best idea for business information security.

I am a real NOVICE at all of this stuff so please bear that in mind when offering solutions.

14 minutes ago, Spit79 said:

I am a real NOVICE at all of this stuff so please bear that in mind when offering solutions.

This is basically the reason why you shouldn't do this.

I live in a pretty dodgy area in regards to some of the local population and extremes in weather events (fires, floods and cyclones) so have decided to build a dedicated server/services room in my new office which I will use to store all of our important files with some form of offsite cloud storage service.

If file storage is the most important task, you don't even need a full blown server, you'll be fine with a NAS. These are available off the shelf, and easy to configure if you buy the right one. Models made by Synology and QNap are the most popular. Both available in regular "tower/desktop" and rackmount form factors. How much this'll cost you depends on how many drives you want. 

My question or goal is to find out if there is some sort of easy build / off the shelf solution for a local server that can run multiple bare-bones stations in the office with the sort of performance that could have 10 people playing AAA titles from the hardware located in the nice cool, secure server room?

Build the systems and apply a security system to each system, like a security lock that is attached to both the monitor and the PC towers and secured to the desks.

And noting that a LOT of games now days need a persistent online connection to play (even in single player) the server would have to be able to have all of those bare-bones pc's connect to the internet as if they were traditional gaming PC's.  I am still in the building phase so can run any sort of local cabling required etc... 

Just run CAT6 cables for all workstations +1 extra so you can add more devices later, or even an IP phone if you're not looping the connection through the phone to the pc. That cabling will end up in a patch panel which will be patched to a switch, which is connected to a router for internet access :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thanks for the assistance but as the server room is essentially a "safe" with weather proof/fire proof construction and 4 point deadbolt door it will still be a lot more secure than a cable holding a computer to the desk.

Could 10 computers be located in the secure room with some sort of cable running to the keyboard and mouse for each unit maybe without compromising the latency from click to onscreen action? Maybe that would be easier to set up?