Stutter and lag where there was none before?

tinpanalley

I just spent all of last year playing FIFA 18, ran seasons with two different teams, never had a graphics problem whatsoever. I go back to it after a few months of not playing it and all of a sudden the game stutters heavily once I'm in a match for longer than 5 minutes. Nothing on my computer has changed. Same exact hardware and I simply can not get the game to not stutter. Other games play fine. But all of a sudden, FIFA 18 that ran perfectly for close to a year is suddenly stuttering and I need to understand how to look for what's causing it. Is there any way anyone can help?
Thank you!

Could be a lot of stuff, try verifying the integrity of the files (fifa 18). If there is no option like that a good old, re-install of the game wouldn't hurt. See if that would help.

6 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

windows update?

Doesn't Windows keep itself up to date? What would I be updating?

Also, do you happen to know how I check on all out of date drivers on my system?

8 hours ago, voiha said:

Could be a lot of stuff, try verifying the integrity of the files (fifa 18). If there is no option like that a good old, re-install of the game wouldn't hurt. See if that would help.

How do you verify the integrity of the files?
A reinstall couldn't hurt. You start applying one community mod after another and things start falling apart.

14 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

How do you verify the integrity of the files?
A reinstall couldn't hurt. You start applying one community mod after another and things start falling apart.

Indeed, for the integrity some platforms like Steam do have this option, but I don't know from where you access your game so I can't tell.

7 hours ago, voiha said:

Indeed, for the integrity some platforms like Steam do have this option, but I don't know from where you access your game so I can't tell.

From Origin

Well, to update, I did find Windows updates to do, my GPU has up to date drivers and my RAM is in good shape. It's just really strange because games that weren't having problems before are now stuttering. I feel like at some point Windows updated something that has caused issues in graphics processing. I mean, how can a game start stuttering that was fine before?

Could be some other drivers or maybe a bios update, have you tried updating to the newest bios version? Also if you have a standard mechanical HDD Id test that with HD tune pro or something see if it could be a failing drive even if it's an ssd if it's old it could be failing and could be causing some serious stutter.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |