Monitor flickering

nik96

Hay guys I've been having some issues with one of my monitors.

I have 2 x dell U2313HM monitors arranged side by side. The problem is one of the monitors starts to crackle (don't know correct word). Very faint grey lines appear like if you were to turn on a tv with no signal. These lines are quite faint and you really need to stare at the monitor to see them. After bout 5 seconds of these lines, the monitor will start to flicker (turn completely black then back on) constantly. This happens at random times, sometimes every 30 seconds, sometimes ever 2 hours. 

I have tried changing the display port it is attached to on my GPU and it didn't solve anything. This issue doesn't happen to my other dell monitor that's perfectly fine.

Do you think this is a monitor problem or a GPU problem.

Specs:

Mobo: Intel DP67BG

CPU: i5-2500

GPU: Sapphire HD 6950 2gb

Thanks in advance.

Are you using VGA?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

It might be on its way out

how old is it and is it still under warranty?

Error: 410

Are you using VGA?

Im using display port

It might be on its way out

how old is it and is it still under warranty?

Its not even 4 months old :( and i have next business day pickup for the warranty :)

Could try a different computer. Otherwise contact dell for warranty. Is that the main windows monitor or a secondary one? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Could try a different input and or different computer or gpu output. 

might try using DVI

unfortunately I only have one desktop in the house

Sounds like the display is failing. If different ports/cables don't fix it then it isn't a GPU issue as your other monitor is fine. Get that monitor RMAd.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Sounds like the display is failing. If different ports/cables don't fix it then it isn't a GPU issue as your other monitor is fine. Get that monitor RMAd.

Really liked the new IPS monitor don't want to loose it :(, ill try using a DVI cable and report back in a couple of days if i still have problems. At least dell has good warranty service and will exchange my warranty next business day

It could be a bad backlight.

It sounds like it's doing the same thing as my laptop's display. It started flickering and then it would just go black all together. I had to close and open the lid to get it to come back on, and then it would just flicker again until it went out.

Even if it's not that, it sounds like the monitor is dying. As others have said, try using a different port (maybe swap the cables on your two monitors), and if it continues on the same monitor, you'll know for sure and you should be able to send it to Dell.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

It could be a bad backlight.

It sounds like it's doing the same thing as my laptop's display. It started flickering and then it would just go black all together. I had to close and open the lid to get it to come back on, and then it would just flicker again until it went out.

Even if it's not that, it sounds like the monitor is dying. As others have said, try using a different port (maybe swap the cables on your two monitors), and if it continues on the same monitor, you'll know for sure and you should be able to send it to Dell.

if it flickers and goes black for a bit point a flash light at it and you should see the image if the backlight is what is going out.

Alright so i tried using a DVI and had the same problems immediately. Rang up dell and had issues with the automated system. The automated system wanted me to enter my express service tag which there is none for monitors under 27 inch (design flaw?). Managed to somehow speak to a real person and im getting it replaced 2morrow. :) 

Thank you to everyone that helped. Appreciated it

Alright so i tried using a DVI and had the same problems immediately. Rang up dell and had issues with the automated system. The automated system wanted me to enter my express service tag which there is none for monitors under 27 inch (design flaw?). Managed to somehow speak to a real person and im getting it replaced 2morrow. :)

Thank you to everyone that helped. Appreciated it

good to hear. Its nice to know that dell stands behind their products still and i think the reason they don't have a tag on smaller monitors is more people are willing to just replace them rather then trying to rma a cheaper monitor.

good to hear. Its nice to know that dell stands behind their products still and i think the reason they don't have a tag on smaller monitors is more people are willing to just replace them rather then trying to rma a cheaper monitor.

yea they told me ill get a refurbished replacement, as long as it looks good im happy. There automated answering system wouldn't let me through without entering a service tag, bout 10 tries of smashing in random numbers i was put through to a rep. That doesnt seem right to me.

Alright so the new monitor kind of solved the problem. BUT every couple of minutes my monitor just flashes black than back to normal. Its happens very quickly and its not frequent enough to affect me working but it is annoying. Does this mean a possible GPU issue?

I found when it happened to me....only when your in Dual screen, never had it before hooking up the 2nd...

Your Core clock will fluctuate a lot more from 500mhz and up... this fluctuation causes the flicker..

Idles at 500mhz, open a browser, gpu usage goes up, so does the coreclock and ....flicker...

Same for Youtube.. anything that's GPU accelerated really...

Why I went back to single screen., until I go to 3 screens.

Some do have it, some don't, thats why its not fixed, because not everyone gets it...

Its a driver issue, however its IN MOST driver releases I've found...

Download MSI Afterburner and Try this, first page of the settings...

Untitled.png

You don't need to overclock, leave MSI as default clocks.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I found when it happened to me....only when your in Dual screen, never had it before hooking up the 2nd...

Your Core clock will fluctuate a lot more from 500mhz and up... this fluctuation causes the flicker..

Idles at 500mhz, open a browser, gpu usage goes up, so does the coreclock and ....flicker...

Same for Youtube.. anything that's GPU accelerated really...

Why I went back to single screen., until I go to 3 screens.

Some do have it, some don't, thats why its not fixed, because not everyone gets it...

Its a driver issue, however its IN MOST driver releases I've found...

Download MSI Afterburner and Try this, first page of the settings...

You don't need to overclock, leave MSI as default clocks.

What version of afterburner are you running? Im currently running 2.3.1 and i dont see that option

3.0.0 Beta 17, I don't think its the latest version either, I update it about every month or two, but have been slack lately :/

Keep in mind you could still have a different issue, but the first thing that came to mind was that from DAY ONE of having two monitors, it started, noticed the fluctuation and flicker, thought thats gotta be related.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Worth a try, if it fixes my problem then yay. Thanks for the help

If it doesnt fix the issue, post that it doesnt, so myself and others can use google-fu and try to help further.

Try ^ first..

Another thing, is to disable the idle clocks, and keep it running at its intended clock rates, will cause more idle heat,the workaround to that with MSI is you can create 2 profiles,... 2d&3d profile.. so you declock the shit out of it, set that as 2d (desktop non gaming) and then when you load a game it automatically loads the 3d clock, which is your rated normal speeds. (Once you make both profiles, go back in the settings, one of the last tabs is selecting the 2d to switch to 3d automatically.

MSI you can also set a fan curve, so if its too loud at default, you can adjust it.

Made a video showing the creation of these profiles and how to apply them.

Click the title to open a new window to get the 1080p view if this video is only showing 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kosPi3Jx2mw