will an 1150 socket heatsink fit broadwell and skylake

blaze124
Go to solution Solved by ericlee30,

Your asking something, that as of right now, we have no idea how the socket will be. From rumors, yes it should fit as broadwell should be on socket LGA1150 but all of this is rumors, so if you want to go off rumors sure it will fit

just what the title says will an 1150 socket heatsink fit broadwell or skylake? or is it to early to know for sure cause i want to buy a nice AIO wter cooling loop but im planning on upgrading to broadwell or skylake when they come out and i dont want to have to buy a new cooler when that time comes.

Broadwell, yes since they are both LGA 150.

We do not know about Skylake, but looking at Intel's history, they have not changed the standard for backplates since LGA1156, I think they will keep the status quo. 

But your AIO cooler may not last that long. They are only validated for 3 years.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Your asking something, that as of right now, we have no idea how the socket will be. From rumors, yes it should fit as broadwell should be on socket LGA1150 but all of this is rumors, so if you want to go off rumors sure it will fit

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I would say yes, Skylake my have a pin or two more than the current line but the cooler footprint will probably be the same

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Broadwell, yes since they are both LGA 150.

We do not know about Skylake, but looking at Intel's history, they have not changed the standard for backplates since LGA1156, I think they will keep the status quo. 

But your AIO cooler may not last that long. They are only validated for 3 years.

hmm didn't know they were only good for a few years thanks for the info, you do learn something new everyday

hmm didn't know they were only good for a few years thanks for the info, you do learn something new everyday

Pumps are mechanical parts and inherently fail.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

IIRC, Broadwell will have the VRMs back on the motherboard. So the motherboard's layouts may be different, meaning they may not fit. No idea.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.