Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

If I were to run it on my laptop, how well would it run? My gf is mostly using the pc since I'm quite on the go so won't run it on that. And does it depend on the internet connection?

It woudn't run the best, but it would run. Your internet connection does not have to be great, it just has to exist. Be carefull, that CPU could get quite hot. My G3258 is hovering in the 50's with a 212 EVO. AND ITS A FREAKING DUAL CORE!!!!

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

If I were to run it on my laptop, how well would it run? My gf is mostly using the pc since I'm quite on the go so won't run it on that. And does it depend on the internet connection?

Best bet for Laptops and low end systems - use the Chrome Client. Much smaller WU's and generates a lot less heat on the Low setting.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I just watched Luke's video there now and as soon as he said Alzheimer's I was in, as it has had a huge impact on my family. Can someone confirm that this is correct, do I need to do anything more like optimizing?  Or just let it run? 

You are all good sir, looks fine. Just make sure to get your passkey for the bonus points.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Can my GTX 670 run the folding application on an x4 port without bottleneck? I asking this, so I can play games on my GTX 970 without restricting its air flow. I have a 750W power supply so running them both at the same time won't be a problem.

Yes, Folding doesn't need much of any bandwidth. I have used x1 to x16 expanders to get multiple GPU's running in a single system. 

Yes, Folding doesn't need much of any bandwidth. I have used x1 to x16 expanders to get multiple GPU's running in a single system. 

NICE

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Is there a way to dissable cpu folding as my stock intel heatsink doesnt like folding and id still like to help with my gtx780

From the Advanced View, you can also go and simply delete the CPU slot all together.

Hi all,

The passkey that is send to me (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py) those not work. (entries do not match) Can some one help me?

Just sounds like you are entering it in wrong when confirming. Go to the site, re-request the key, copy and paste into both feilds, voila. :)

Big Welcome to all the new members!

Just started helping thanks for showing me this site so i could help from home. My computer aint that good but it can handle it :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770S 3.1GHz Quad-Core CPU Cooler: Corsair H90 Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Ram: Kingston Fury Black 16GB SSD: Intel 730 Series 240GB SATA: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 CASE: NZXT H440 (Green/Black) PSU: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" x2 Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Mouse: Razer Naga Headphones: Razer Kraken.

just joined

figured i might have to bring my computer outta silent mode running this full bore with a 9590 and 290x

still running silent mode full out 50c lol

score one for the h100i gtx, and my video card barly breaks 60c so its quiet as hell

Joined with 3 devices in my house :)

Laptop w/ i3
Mac w/ i5
Desktop w/ i3 & hd 7970

Hopefully these can crunch numbers well (:

Joined with 3 devices in my house :)

Laptop w/ i3

Mac w/ i5

Desktop w/ i3 & hd 7970

Hopefully these can crunch numbers well (:

Make sure your are on AMD drivers 14.9 newer versions will get you Only 65k on the gpu with driver version 14.9 you will get 150k.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Make sure your are on AMD drivers 14.9 newer versions will get you Only 65k on the gpu with driver version 14.9 you will get 150k.

Hi there! Is this know fault that HD7970 dont get over 65k on newer drivers or just quess?

I mean i my main rig is currently down and im now folding only on my secend rig wich has one HD7970 and my PPD estimate is 85K for GPU with 15.3 beta drivers.

But if you ask me, i never have seen my GPU to go as high on PPD as 150K that i member. So thats why i ask. as it would mean, that i need to shot down my work and go on for testing, with this system too...

Hi there! Is this know fault that HD7970 dont get over 65k on newer drivers or just quess?

I mean i my main rig is currently down and im now folding only on my secend rig wich has one HD7970 and my PPD estimate is 85K for GPU with 15.3 beta drivers.

But if you ask me, i never have seen my GPU to go as high on PPD as 150K that i member. So thats why i ask. as it would mean, that i need to shot down my work and go on for testing, with this system too...

change drivers to 14.9 do a clean install then happy folding with 150K on the 7970 :) there is a bug in the opencl driver that makes older cards run slower on applications like boinc and f@h

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Go team Linus! Do u guys think with these temps I will be okay leaving it running for a week straight, or should I turn down my overclock? (72 on CPU and 60 on gpu)???

post-181888-0-62182600-1430359213_thumb.

GPU Temp is fine but the CPU temp is high to me.

I like for the CPU to be below 60c but I might just be cautious.

GPU Temp is fine but the CPU temp is high to me.

I like for the CPU to be below 60c but I might just be cautious.

My CPU is a 4790k at 4.3 ghz on four cores, cooled with a nzxt havok 140. Should I turn down the over clock?

My CPU is a 4790k at 4.3 ghz on four cores, cooled with a nzxt havok 140. Should I turn down the over clock?

if you get errors or fail a wu or blue screen then yes, i have a mild oc with no problems after 10 wu i changed to just gpu folding. Your cpu give you very little ppd compared to gpu. Also have 3 cpu cores folding (default is set this way) so 1 of the cores helps your gpu out

Just joined! Really glad Slick did a video talking about a F@H build, because I had completely forgotten about this cause. Love this community, been lurking for a while now. Finally decided to hop in and help!

Hi everyone!  You pulled me away from overclocking.net team because I LOVE THE SHOW, found out the forum had a folding team and BAM here I am!  

Folding on:

Intel I7 Haswell-E 5820K
ASROCK Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Corsair HX100i
32GB (8GBx4) 2400 DDR4
2x Crucial 256GB in RAID 0
3x 1TB WD Blacks
EVGA GTX 960 4GB
EVGA 750v2 PSU

4.0 GHz @ 1.1v at the moment, JUST built this thing a week ago....

Getting ~160K-200K PPD, looking forward to contributing here on the forums and to the folding team!

One question though, for the folding 'badges' do I need to fold those points for this team to qualify or just overall? Just swapped teams like 5 min ago... Thanks!

I finally joined :) Waited until I had finished building my new PC because my old PC was struggling. 
I work in research for a uni so I'll probably set it up at work as well :D

I finally joined :) Waited until I had finished building my new PC because my old PC was struggling.

I work in research for a uni so I'll probably set it up at work as well :D

not sure your school would be happy with that, its kinda stressful on hardware. Thanks for joining the team. Keep a eye on temps especially with a new system.

not sure your school would be happy with that, its kinda stressful on hardware. Thanks for joining the team. Keep a eye on temps especially with a new system.

They'll never know! Also, it's fine, we use them for this kind of thing anyway :)

Thanks for the tip :), I've been doing so! Good to see my CPU cooler and the GPU handling it well. I have to overclock my CPU and see how it handles it then! 

They'll never know! Also, it's fine, we use them for this kind of thing anyway :)

Thanks for the tip :), I've been doing so! Good to see my CPU cooler and the GPU handling it well. I have to overclock my CPU and see how it handles it then!

do a mild oc, i just got a few failed wu because of a highly oc'd gpu. We want the calculations to be right not fast, just like we do in traditional research. Glhf :)