PWM vs Non PWM?

Gaming_Addiction
Go to solution Solved by Emperor_Piehead,

Your monitor most likely uses PWM so you would have noticed it. All monitors use PWM, but some monitors use W-led tech to remove the flickering. The only one I know of that uses w-led is the U2413. You would be fine with a standard backlight if you don't have an issue with your current one. 

I would just stick with PA248Q

The colors look different thing is also BS since it wouldn't affect colors.

Well, A LOT of people camplain about monitors having PWM controlled backlight. Some people say blues, reds, and grays look horrible with it and get headaches an also flickering. I need to get a new monitor now (Long story) and deciding on monitors. 1440P is way to hard to run so I am staying around 1200p.

I am looking at the PA248Q

Will I notice PWM?

How hard do I have to look to notice the flickering?

How do I know if I am sensitive to flickering?

How can it give headaches?

If you advise me to go against PWM, can you recomend me a good IPS, 23"-24", and 1200p monitor?

I got the PB278Q from ASUS, and it supposed to have PWM backlight. but honestly i never had any problem with it. I read that i will give headaches when gaming, so ofc i got a bit woozie at the start, but i soon realized it was just placebo. I have now used it for more than half a year and i dont have any problem with headaches and what not :)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Your monitor most likely uses PWM so you would have noticed it. All monitors use PWM, but some monitors use W-led tech to remove the flickering. The only one I know of that uses w-led is the U2413. You would be fine with a standard backlight if you don't have an issue with your current one. 

I would just stick with PA248Q

The colors look different thing is also BS since it wouldn't affect colors.

I can't really answer your question with great experience but given I use lightboost mod on my monitor which is a form pwming backlight, it doesn't really make it flicker persay but I can see thin lines horizontally across my screen just like CRT monitors did.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

The ASUS PA248Q uses a PWM at only 180Hz for 50% brightness... this is the worst you can get. Meaning you'll feel the flickering, especially at lower brightness. It's just awful.

The Dell U2413 uses a PWM but ONLY if the brightness is bellow 20% AND that is with a speed of 8750Hz, this is so fast, I highly doubt you'll notice a thing. Any brightness level above 20% you have no PWM, and actual dimming circuit to control the LEDs. The U2413 uses GB-LED backlight, a nice kind of backlight technology, which uses Green, and Blue LED's, put very close together with a layer of red phosphor on top, to output a white light. This allows allows the monitor to have a better white, compared to white LEDs (the normal LED back light  technology), which output a very cold white which affects colors.

Emperor_piehead is incorrect on some points.

-> Backlight color DOES affect the colors of the screen big time.

-> White LED monitors DO NOT have to use a PWM to be controlled. Proof: Dell P2314T and P2414T as examples (both are 1080p IPS panels, if you wonder), among many others on the market.

-> "W-LED" means white LED, contrary to GB-LED, which is what I explained above, and RGB-LED, where you have red, green and blue LED's put very close together to output a white light (this is still expensive, and only found on select professional grade monitors).

-> I would avoid the PA248Q at all costs.

Some monitor makers vary the PWM frequency in firmware updates, to try to reduce PWM issues.

I just got a new Asus VG248QE (manufactured in June 2013) and was positively surprised to measure a PWM frequency of 864Hz.

For example, the early VG248QE's came with 432Hz PWM during 144Hz mode, but they've bumped that up to 864Hz PWM during 144Hz, via improved firmware as I understand it.   Still not high enough IMHO, although I wonder if the G-SYNC upgrade boards will do anything to raise the PWM frequency (in non-strobed mode). Among the 120Hz world, the XL2420TE (And XL2420T Rev 2.0) are the only true 120Hz monitors that are PWM-free at the moment, where XL2420T Rev 1.0 definitely has PWM.

Moral of the story -- even the same-model monitor sometimes have different PWM frequencies, or revision 2.0 goes PWM-free.  In certain cases, pay careful attention to revision numbers too!