netgear switch comparison?

rjshield

I'm about to wire my house for gigabit ethernet and will need to buy a switch to add to the router.

I was looking at these two netgear switches. Is there any difference other than the colour.

Netgear GS308

Netgear GS108

Build Log: Monochrome

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H | Graphics Card: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB,2 Seagate Baracuda 3TB | Case: Corsair 350D Window

There is a difference but just go for the cheaper one because I believe it is a slightly newer model. The difference is not really needed for personal use.

Let me say it this way, you will in no situation notice any difference between those switches.

Some of the differences I found when I quickly looked though the datasheet for both devices:

GS308 supports 802.3az (pretty useless for home usage, just reduces idle power for ports) as well as "short cable detection" which reduces power consumption if you use cables shorter than 10 meters (again, pretty useless since you won't save many watts over the course of several years).

The GS108 has a higher MTBF (mean time between failures) rating for some reason which I think is strange, since it seems like the GS308 is meant for small offices and the GS108 is meant for home usage. (GS108 is rated for over 1 million hours, and the GS308 is rated for 386,500 hours).

The GS108 has a longer warranty (Lifetime warranty compared to 3 year warranty).

Those are the only differences I could find. The rest such as maximum throughput, cache size and other things like that were exactly the same. I would just get the cheapest one if I were you.

• 2 years later...

I bought the GS308 because it has LEDs and ports on the same side of the case. I like to see the LEDs when I'm working with cables.

I bought the GS308 because it has LEDs and ports on the same side of the case. I like to see the LEDs when I'm working with cables.

So you basically went... OOOoohhh shiny! :D