Best Hard Disk Drive setup for recording games?

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Yeah i thought about 500gb drive for boot = system+games+fraps, having fraps and the game on same hard drive isnt the problem , but if you set the fraps to record on the drive the game is located,now that would be a problem, so i thought 500gb boot and games and 2 1tb raid 0 for the footage.

If you're just recording 1080p footage, you can just use a single hdd and no need for raid 0.

So can anyone explain what would be best setup of hdds/ssds for filming in programs such as fraps and dxtory? I was thinking about buying 3 drives. 1 tb one for game+recording program+ system and have 2 500gb ones in RAID 0 for the actual movie footage (going to be erased after uploading) What do you think?

Two in Raid 0 would be pretty good. No point in buying a 500gb drive though, a TB is just a little bit more.

Error: 410

This should be perfectly fine.

It's best to have the game you're recording and the recording destinatoin on sepperate drives, so you'll be perfectly ok.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

Two in Raid 0 would be pretty good. No point in buying a 500gb drive though, a TB is just a little bit more.

I should just buy 2 1tb drives and raid them?

I should just buy 2 1tb drives and raid them?

As stated as above, it would be better to have the game and the storage separate. If possible can you salvage a drive from somewhere or get a decent small drive and then use two 1TB's in 0 for footage? Ideal would be a 500gb or less (at best SSD) as game+recording program and the two 1TB drives in raid 0 for capture.

Economically, two 1TB +1 500gb is a better deal than 1 1TB + 2 500gb in terms of price efficiency.

As stated as above, it would be better to have the game and the storage separate. If possible can you salvage a drive from somewhere or get a decent small drive and then use two 1TB's in 0 for footage? Ideal would be a 500gb or less (at best SSD) as game+recording program and the two 1TB drives in raid 0 for capture.

Economically, two 1TB +1 500gb is a better deal than 1 1TB + 2 500gb in terms of price efficiency.

Yeah i thought about 500gb drive for boot = system+games+fraps, having fraps and the game on same hard drive isnt the problem , but if you set the fraps to record on the drive the game is located,now that would be a problem, so i thought 500gb boot and games and 2 1tb raid 0 for the footage.

so i thought 500gb boot and games and 2 1tb raid 0 for the footage.

yep, that's your best option if you have the cash for it.

It is not crucial to have a special setup to record your games, you can have a single 1TB HDD with your game and in which you record an it will be fine. 

Anyways you can enhance this if you have a separate drive for your game and your record because of the need to read/write at the same time. If you read from a different drive you are writing, it can perk your recording quality or capabilities.

You talked about having a Raid 0 config. That is good if you are going to be edditing the videos, as you will have double the read/write speed (it is important, as it will save up some of your time). 

Personally, having the money, I would have a 500GB for OS+Apps and then a 1TB raid 10 (2 1TB HDDs, so you have both increased performance and data redundancy for security. It is a pain to loose your gameplays)

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I record gameplay footage to just one WD Black 1TB, I can record anything in 1080p with 60 fps, so what you have should be more than sufficient! Also, I would also submit my vote for coughing up the extra 20 bucks or so for the 2 one terabyte drives!

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

If you're just recording 1080p footage, you can just use a single hdd and no need for raid 0.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.