Sony announces new PS Vita - Thinner, longer battery life and colors

At a press conference in Japan, Sony has just announced a brand new PlayStation Vita. The new model is 20 percent thinner and 15 percent lighter than the first-generation Vita, measuring 15mm thick and weighing 219 grams. It has 1GB of built-in storage, Micro USB charging, and an all-new LCD display — the previous model used OLED. Despite being thinner and lighter, Sony says the new model will last an extra hour on its built-in battery, bringing the total battery life up to six hours. 

The new Vita will come in six colors: white, black, blue, yellow, pink, and olive green. Sony is also cutting the price of its proprietary memory cards in Japan (a move that we assume will be repeated internationally), as well as introducing a new 64GB card. It's scheduled for release in Japan on October 10th, but there's no information on an international release date yet.

gaming-slimpsvita.jpg

gaming-slimpsvita1.jpg

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/9/4709944/sony-playstation-vita-2nd-generation-announcement

Does it come bundled with a ps4?

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Hmm, I hope they're build a less tight as the old PSPs. Those broke so easily if you dropped them. Don't know about the PS Vita though 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I'm interesting on the price in my area, as I will get one, since my friends gaming on vita...

awesome i hope they do more for the vita platform.

A friend of mine was saying that Sony are doing a deal where if you buy a PS3 game you also get it on Vita, I dont know the ins and outs of it but thats pretty cool.

Something tells me that this new Vita will be bundled with the PS4 in a package.

A friend of mine was saying that Sony are doing a deal where if you buy a PS3 game you also get it on Vita, I dont know the ins and outs of it but thats pretty cool.

Yeah,i called cross buy but you can only get it on certain games though.

Sounds pretty cool I suppose, I bought the older vita just to play the Project Diva games that are available for it. ( Same reason for buying the first ) It is a pretty decent platform though.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I hope the new LCD display looks just as good as the old OLED display. The original Vita looks so good!

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

Being lighter can mean that it be not as solid as the original one imo. Its like the PSP 1000 and the PSP 3000, the PSP 3000 has less metal meaning that it is not as durable as the 1000 but it is lighter.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

IF they did a 549.99 PS4 PsVita bundle I would be getting a vita.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

I think my old Vita looks better than any of these, though I'd like to get a better look at that new black one, but it is a touch on the heavy side. Not too bad, but I don't object to making it lighter.

I'm interesting on the price in my area, as I will get one, since my friends gaming on vita...

The Japanese price in USD is the same as the current price cut SKU Vita. It may be a cheaper Vita to make on a manufacturing level, but it won't be sold at a lower price (so, same $200 price; original Vita may be sold by retailers for less - but considering retailers lately have been very lazy/douches (+1 for Amazon) for not changing Vita accessory prices after Gamescom, I doubt they will sell them for less). If it comes to the west, it will most likely be a replacement to the original. No guarantees as multi-coloured PlayStation products rarely make it out of Asia. Black and white versions most certainly.

IF they did a 549.99 PS4 PsVita bundle I would be getting a vita.

A lot of us expected a bundle at Gamescom, but it didn't come into fruition. It may be a desperation move for Sony if/when the time comes. I highly doubt they will further lower the price of a device that has not even been in the market for two years. We won't know (of this desperation move) until the PS4 launches and the Wi-Fi/Gaikai Remote Play is (not) as seamless (at that time) as they are touting.