Purpose of I/O shield Padding?

Purpose of I/O shield Padding? My Asus Maximus VII Ranger does not have one, i think i took it off, is it at risk of ESD?

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Purpose of I/O shield Padding? My Asus Maximus VII Ranger does not have one, i think i took it off, is it at risk of ESD?

To make inserting your motherboard nearly impossible.  It also protects the i/o ports but that's not as important as making life difficult.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

It's there to help protect the ports as I mentioned in the previous thread. The shield itself is there for ESD purposes I think.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Applies pressure to the metal cans that cover the ports, and some extra grounding and shielding with the metal foil but other than that there isn't a problem with taking it off. 

To make inserting your motherboard nearly impossible.  

The padding make it impossible? 

Magical Pineapples

It's there to help protect the ports as I mentioned in the previous thread. The shield itself is there for ESD purposes I think.

Yeah but im worried about ESD.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Applies pressure to the metal cans that cover the ports, and some extra grounding and shielding with the metal foil but other than that there isn't a problem with taking it off. 

Im worried about ESD though

The padding make it impossible? 

It's not impossible but it definitely makes it more difficult.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

My board is fine and I don't have padding.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It's not impossible but it definitely makes it more difficult.

Really? I had no difficultly. 

Magical Pineapples

My board is fine and I don't have padding.

Do you often plug things in the back? and do you worrie about ESD

Im worried about ESD though

Your case is grounded and the board is connected to the PSU so there shouldn't really be any problem with ESD. 

Your case is grounded and the board is connected to the PSU so there shouldn't really be any problem with ESD. 

so the psu protects the board from esd?

Really? I had no difficultly. 

I spent 10 minutes pushing the damn thing in because the foam was so damn hard.... fml.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/534783-my-outlet-has-no-ground-any-alternatives/

I spent 10 minutes pushing the damn thing in because the foam was so damn hard.... fml.

Man up and push in like a man. 

Magical Pineapples

so the psu protects the board from esd?

If the unit is grounded, sure, but the case also does. However, the power supply must be grounded through its power plug in order to provide grounding protection.

Man up and push in like a man. 

Gotta pull  out too.  ;)

Gotta pull  out too.  ;)

Worry about that after you get in first mate. 

Magical Pineapples

It's honestly more of an aesthetic thing - people have been using motherboards in open air test benches without IO shields for years.

Anyone benchmarking different motherboards often enough will soon get tired of changing out these plates and not bother at all. You can see it in various reviews of cases too, places like Hardwarecanucks the IO plates aren't always installed because the items are review samples and they can't be arsed.

The foam padding can help with things such as vibrations from fans and pumps if the shield plate is installed - bare they're pretty flimsy and are prone to the odd rattle here and there.

Yeah the board is grounded via the PSU and will provide a little protection with ESD, but you really should finds a grounded outlet to use your PC on, it's highly dangerous to use no ground since it can potentially build up a dangerous electrical charge. I would recommend getting and outlet tester to check which one of your outlets is grounded:

http://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-ST-102B-Socket-Tester-GFCI/dp/B008E07HM2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453776865&sr=8-2

Prevent users from cutting themselves.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Neither the plate nor the pad are there for ESD reasons. They're for esthetics and compliance with Part 15 of the FCC rules, the bit about

This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:

1. This device may not cause harmful interference.

2. This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

So it's mostly just RF shielding.