My outlet has no ground, any alternatives?

Vengeance_K1ng

My outlet has no ground, any alternatives to get ground?

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

My outlet has no ground, any alternatives to get ground?

fuck it

pull off a ground

to be honest, a power stip or ups would help a lot from there

by power strip, i mean one of the ones with a circuit breaker on it

It doesn't really matter. Just don't go fiddling in it with the power cable plugged in.

An electrically "improper" power strip allows for a ground connector, but does absolutely nothing to ground it, only does it for compatibility.

We use them in IT, there is nothing wrong with them IMHO, but some people flip shit about not having ground connected. At home, the only place with ground is the kitchen.. I have run computers for 10 years without ground and never had one killed. We have a relay that'll take it (most likely) if anything happens

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

An electrically "improper" power strip allows for a ground connector, but does absolutely nothing to ground it, only does it for compatibility.

We use them in IT, there is nothing wrong with them IMHO, but some people flip shit about not having ground connected. At home, the only place with ground is the kitchen.. I have run computers for 10 years without ground and never had one killed. We have a relay that'll take it (most likely) if anything happens

Would a UPS add another layer of protection?

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Or you could get a grounded outlet for $2.

I have no ground wire

What about surge protection? Is that provided by a ups?

What about surge protection? Is that provided by a ups?

No clue, I know nothing about UPS's. All I know is that our personal relay will be able to take surges before anything happens to the outlets

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I have no ground wire

http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-an-Outlet

You're gonna need to get some, you can get some cheap from Talley Communications probably. 

If you work with audio especially you're going to want grounded outlets.

also you could do Like I do and run a 100ft extension cord from 2 floors above you lol. 

I have no ground wire

You could get a cheater plug.

You could get a cheater plug.

Please specify

If you need a grounded outlet and you're stuck with a house wired with 12/2 you're pretty well stuck running a ground.

You could luck out if you have some mechanical skills, every once in a while electricians or homeowners would run 12/2wg and cut the ground back in the box or ground the box or something else stupid. If that's the case you can try to pull whatever is left of the ground, enough to get a jumper on it.

More than likely though you'll be stuck pulling a ground to the box. Like I saw in a previous post, you can run your ground to copper or galvanized water lines using a grounding clamp. In my area that is starting to be frowned upon by our electrical inspectors; However, electricians have been doing this for years. The proper way would be to just pull a new ground back to the breaker box of course.

This all being said, The main reason outlets in your home are grounded is not to protect your electronics you have plugged into them. The main reason they are is to protect from damaged circuits and to keep you from electrocuting yourself on a bad circuit or starting a fire. A ground is just an additional more direct path to the neutral bar and ultimately ground rod. That way if anything is broken in a circuit it will send the power strait to the ground(as in dirt ;) ) kicking the breaker or blowing the fuse instead of causing a fire or shocking the crap out of you. 

I've seen pretty close to the same amount of grounded circuits be hit by power surges or get dirty power for some reason than non-grounded. 

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker