Razer Marauder vs SteelSeries Apex vs Corsair K95 vs Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

zeros

Hies. I recently won a Razer Marauder keyboard

. And I was thinking on selling it and getting a newer one, let's say a mechanical one.

So looking at the SteelSeries Apex: I love the way it looks but it's not mechanical and not released yet. So while I was thinking of a recommended keyboard by Linus I remembered his favorite the K90 and I knew I saw a CES coverage by Linus Sebastian on an upgraded K90 the K95. And thinking if I would change it and wait for a SS Apex why not wait for the K95 as it looks awesome and much better build (I hope it has multicolored back-light, and to be able to change each key to another color, would be awesome).

If I wouldn't wait for any of those 2 I was thinking of the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate '13. The specifications look quite good. But I kind of like the K95 more. Anyways my ultimate question would be should I wait for all those to be released and find a place that has them all and try each of them or... Idk maybe keep the Marauder as it's free =D, and decide if I want a second keyboard when they get available or sell it while it's new and keep the money for one of those 3.

By the way the Marauder didn't arrive yet (I might upload some unboxing pictures of it when it does). Also it will be my first experience with a gaming keyboard. My current one was like 9 euro /12 US$ and it looks like this:

Sorry for the eyeburn :D

My opinion so far on the Marauder, w/o actually having it yet is that it looks awesome, good back-light from above, but it might be annoying from a different angle (some review-ers say that the light under the keys can be annoying from a lower angle, I shall find out :D). It has nice sleeved USB cable. The keys are laser etched, it also has on the fly macro recording and the APM feature. What I don't really like is how it's compressed (arrow keys in the number pad), but I guess I could get used to it if I decide to keep it. I also don't like the need of 2 USB male ports without having a hub on the keyboard (yes I know for what it is, for the lights). I don't know yet on how is the quality build of the material until I put my hands on it, but it's Razer so it should be fine. I like the fact that it's a Razer product, the ability to have different colors on key-pad and other parts of the keyboard that have illumination effect. I also like the fact that even considering the size of it, they kept the size of the backspace and shift as it should be on every keyboard.

So that would be my mini review until I receive it. And I hope that with the help of some advises (if any :D) I'll be able to decide what to do with it and if I should get any of the other 3 keyboards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

I would give the Ducky Shine 2 a look as well. That way you are not confined to just red switches like you would get on the Corsair. It may not have multicolored back lighting but it does have some very cool back lighting options like individual keys lighting up only when pressed.

What features are you looking for in a keyboard?

Well I checked the differences in switches to see which one I would like, maybe I would like brown ones for being tactile but silent too. But in the end I don't really care right now if it's blue-red-black-clear any of these because I don't have any experience with them, it will most probably be first come first love :D. As after a while I'll get used to it and wont really want to change it, except maybe if it's really loud.

Features I would like would be back-light, nice palm rest and 4 or more macro keys. Features I wouldn't mind having would be sleeved cable, a USB passthrough, silent, slim design, great quality materials (I'm thinking on keeping a keyboard for at least 3-4 years). Full size keyboard including number pad, if not the 16.8m colors for lighting then at least 4-5 presets, even if it's just one color but with ability to turn of light and brightness lvl control.

What I wouldn't like would be the need of using up 2 USB ports without a hub/passthrough on the keyboard. Really loud in a way that it's annoying. I doubt on this one, as expensive keyboards even the clicky ones I think the quality of it helps dampening sound. Shiny keyboards, finger print magnets I hate seeing dust on a glossy products my monitor, printer and router are enough of glossy products on my desk, lol.

Anyways I'm not trying to be picky but that's my thought about it, also once I get one I will keep it for 3-4 years maybe even more. This is also a reason why I could wait for the K95. About Ducky's I like the product itself but it doesn't have a palm rest :(. Writing all this down helps me deciding so in the end I might keep the Marauder if I will like it and wait to see how does the K95 feel. If I don't like the Marauder I will sell it and try to find a place where I could test some mechanical keyboards. And I kind of became a fan of K95 in this process. But the Ducky and Razer are out so I shall see how I deal with the Marauder.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

I am trying to be kind here but this is way too stupid for me to hold back my thoughts,

- Sees "What features are you looking for in a keyboard?"

- Reads OP's post above mine.

- Proceeds to facepalm.

Hates noisy keyboards, likes Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013. Wants USB passthrough, doesn't want 2 USB connections. Wants 4-5 presets for backlight, goes for K95 and Blackwidow Ultimate 2013.

Seriously? If you want a keyboard with everything for nothing then you better get your idea straight...

The only keyboard i can think of that may fit your specifications would be the upcoming Roccat Ryos MK Pro. And in all honesty from the way i read your post i can't see you as a person who would be willing to spend $150 on a proper keyboard...

I am trying to be kind here but this is way too stupid for me to hold back my thoughts,

- Sees "What features are you looking for in a keyboard?"

- Reads OP's post above mine.

- Proceeds to facepalm.

Hates noisy keyboards, likes Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013. Wants USB passthrough, doesn't want 2 USB connections. Wants 4-5 presets for backlight, goes for K95 and Blackwidow Ultimate 2013.

Seriously? If you want a keyboard with everything for nothing then you better get your idea straight...

The only keyboard i can think of that may fit your specifications would be the upcoming Roccat Ryos MK Pro. And in all honesty from the way i read your post i can't see you as a person who would be willing to spend $150 on a proper keyboard...

I also recommend a Ducky Shine 2, get the Ducky wristwrest if you are that concerned about not having one.

It's not too outlandish. Obviously it will be hard to find a keyboard that fits every requirement and it will be expensive, but at least now we have a general idea. Basically what I am getting is a full sized mechanical keyboard with wrist rest and a full feature set that looks nice. I'm more into the no frills type keyboards so I'm not too aware of whats available in the luxury market. The Mionix Zibal 60 (what Linus uses) might be worth looking at.

What I can say for (pretty) sure is that you wont get just get used to whatever key switch is on your board and be happy with it. You will probably get the itch to try them all. If you get linear at first like I did, I can almost guarantee you will get an urge to use tactile switches. If you get quiet, you might get the urge to hear clicks.

I might recommend just hanging on to the marauder and getting a good, high quality basic keyboard with clicky switches for starters so you at least get the full mechanical experience. If you fall in love, great! If not, pick out what you really cant stand and return it or sell it if its not an option.

I am trying to be kind here but this is way too stupid for me to hold back my thoughts' date=' - Sees "What features are you looking for in a keyboard?" - Reads OP's post above mine. - Proceeds to facepalm. Hates noisy keyboards, likes Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013. Wants USB passthrough, doesn't want 2 USB connections. Wants 4-5 presets for backlight, goes for K95 and Blackwidow Ultimate 2013. Seriously? If you want a keyboard with everything for nothing then you better get your idea straight... The only keyboard i can think of that may fit your specifications would be the upcoming Roccat Ryos MK Pro. And in all honesty from the way i read your post i can't see you as a person who would be willing to spend $150 on a proper keyboard...[/quote']

First of all I didn't say I want all of them on one, then when I stated that I don't want 2 USB connections as the Marauder has. It uses one for the keyboard and one for the lighting. I didn't say that I want a passthrough but only one connector. It makes sense to have 2 connectors if it has a passthrough but using it just for the lighting it's lame. Also I sayed I don't like noisy keyboards not that I hate them.

Also at all of the features I want to have were back light, palm rest and 4 or more macro keys. Everything after these 4 I stated that I wouldn't mind to have those features, in no way did I say that I want them all on a single keyboard. About the lighting presets I quote myself "even if it's just one color but be it with the ability to turn of the back-light and brightness level control."

Okay thank you for the good information about the Razer BW Ultimate that it's noisy. Also thank you for telling me about Roccat Ryos MK Pro it looks amazing. I am willing to spend my money on what I want.

Googled an image of the wrist rest, um yeah I saw the one Slick bought. I like it, but I don't always keep my keyboard in one place, so I might get bored of adjusting it like 20 times a day. Also I like the K95 because I'm kind of biased now, saw how many times Linus recommends the K90 so the newer one should be good enough for me too. Also that they use good materials like anodized aluminum.

Please proceed to face-palm 2.0. Actually never-mind, if I look like I'm starting a fight or something please excuse me, I'm not good at expressing myself in english.

@Smurf Shoes Yup basically a full sized mechanical keyboard with wrist rest and a full feature set that looks nice. About the Mionix Zibal 60 I like the matte finish the nicely illuminated keys also that there is no light escaping from under the keys. The cable looks ridiculously thick but it's actually awesome. The key sound is not bad, quite silent. I watched Linus's unboxing about it. What else, um the 2nd USB cable not so useless as it has a pass-through on the keyboard and that's about it.

About getting used to it and like it or not, it will only depend if I get the chance to try something else than that and if I'll like that something else more than mine. If the marauder would be mechanical I think I wouldn't have even posted here... Will see tomorrow how it is, I've got a mail that they will try to ship it tomorrow to me.

Will choose one next week or tomorrow. I also like the Roccat Ryos MK Pro mentioned above. :)

Ahh, so that was what you were trying to say lol, i thought you wanted a keyboard with everything without compromise. Key switches are really up to your own preference, so find a place to try them out first. Personally for a feature-rich keyboard iwould go for the MK Pro but it wasnt out early enough for me so i went for a Ducky instead :)

Ahh' date=' so that was what you were trying to say lol, i thought you wanted a keyboard with everything without compromise. Key switches are really up to your own preference, so find a place to try them out first. Personally for a feature-rich keyboard iwould go for the MK Pro but it wasnt out early enough for me so i went for a Ducky instead :)[/quote']

I've finally got the Razer Marauder StarCraft II keyboard, it arrived on saturday. It has a nice rubbery feel on the keys, and really well built. But the fact that I use the num pad allot makes it difficult to switch between num pad and arrow keys. Also I can't believe that I miss my own keyboard, it had a homepage/start browser and a mute button positioned it the best place for a keyboard. This one has a mute function key but it's not as fast.

Another weird thing is the sticky pads on the bottom, everyone recommends really sticky pads, I seem to love the ones that slide a little easier, I often change my position on the chair and so I have to move the keyboard, with the Razer I have to lift it first :). What else, I like that I can change the colors to any color and to turn on/off the lights of 3 different parts of it. Bad part is after I start Starcraft II it simply doesn't work anymore, I can't change the colors unless I have the game open. I tried restarting PC, tried different ports nothing. The only thing that seems to fix it is if I update the firmware, but it only works until I start the game again, after that it doesn't work, have to update to the same firmware again.

I think I'm going to keep it, and wait for the MK Pro and the K95 to be released. By then I will also check as many MX Cherry switches as I can. This reminds me that I like the keys to be a bit heavier to push. I don't know how many grams this keyboard needs to press one key, but my first one seems a bit heavier.

Edit: Thanks @Smurf Shoes and @Lukiose for the help and recommendations.

Edit2: Forgot to add the pics:

20130223131402.jpg

20130223131723.jpg

20130223131737.jpg

20130223131818.jpg

I suppose this might not apply to you since from the sounds of it you are not in the united state but a US nickel weighs 5 grams so stacking nickels on a key is a good way to measure actuation force. If you like heavy keys, I would recommend to stay away from MX Reds. Whey you type on them it feels more like your fingers are floating on air.

I agree that rubberized feet are overrated. I constantly move my keyboard around on my desk, depending on if I'm typing or gaming.

If you want heavier keys you can try out the Cherry MX Greens or Blacks, Greens are a heavier version of MX Blues while Blacks are a heavier version of MX Reds, i some-what regret my decision of buying a cherry MX Red keyboard now as i do type alot (Just for normal situations) so i would've preffered a brown switch. Reds are also really light so sometime my thumb would actuate the space bar without me realising it :P

I was thinking of the greens as i heard they are heavier. But I would probably love the brown switches for being more silent. Anyways for now I'm pleased with the Marauder. Learning which back-light color I would like the most. I love the fact that I can switch it to what I want. And I also found out that there are not or maybe there is but I learned that there is no RGB mechanical keyboard. Also as I already mentioned the arrow keys do make me slower at certain things, as I'm used to use the side num-pad. Well for now I'm waiting for the review of those 2 keyboards to see how I like the review. :)