Coolant colour faded... again

Hi, I posted a little while back saying that for what ever reason the red pastel coolant in my CPU loop keeps losing its vibrancy and turning into a murky deep red.... this has happened twice, the last time it happened to used a mayhems blitz clean before flushing and refilling.

It happened again so today i completely split the loop down replaced most the pipes, split the blocks and completely flushed the radiators using hot distilled water and vinegar and flushing through a few more times with distilled water. Ive rebuilt the loop and everything looks great again.

As a note Ive had no issues what so ever with the white pastel in the GPU loop so im not sure whats causing it, however ive read that this is far from an isolated case.

This isnt a question, im just gonna use this post to reference the colour changes and how long it takes (should it happen again)

Xh5BRGH.jpg?1

w1O3fdB.jpg?1

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Hi, I posted a little while back saying that for what ever reason the red pastel coolant in my CPU loop keeps losing its vibrancy and turning into a murky deep red.... this has happened twice, the last time it happened to used a mayhems blitz clean before flushing and refilling.

It happened again so today i completely split the loop down replaced most the pipes, split the blocks and completely flushed the radiators using hot distilled water and vinegar and flushing through a few more times with distilled water. Ive rebuilt the loop and everything looks great again.

As a note Ive had no issues what so ever with the white pastel in the GPU loop so im not sure whats causing it, however ive read that this is far from an isolated case.

This isnt a question, im just gonna use this post to reference the colour changes and how long it takes (should it happen again)

JayzTwoCents got the same issue with his yellow dye in Skunkworks (if you don't follow his channel) and he said that there have been an increasing number of these cases coming up in the past year or so. I think he also said that he talked to Mayhem about it and they said they don't know what's causing it but their looking into it. I'm going to try to follow this topic pretty closely because I had plans for a build that was going to use Mayhem's dyes.

EDIT: Also, make sure you follow your own posts.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

JayzTwoCents got the same issue with his yellow dye in Skunkworks (if you don't follow his channel) and he said that there have been an increasing number of these cases coming up in the past year or so. I think he also said that he talked to Mayhem about it and they said they don't know what's causing it but their looking into it. I'm going to try to follow this topic pretty closely because I had plans for a build that was going to use Mayhem's dyes.

EDIT: Also, make sure you follow your own posts.

I have a feeling its down to the same issues that causes clear tubing to turn white. Its down to the Primochill tubes. I believe Mayhems state to not use this type of tubing.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Ye I'm using Mayhems, they were a sponsor for my build. Got another 1.5 litres of red pastel left after this weeks purchase, kind of odd that the white is ok though

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I have a feeling its down to the same issues that causes clear tubing to turn white. Its down to the Primochill tubes. I believe Mayhems state to not use this type of tubing.

I'm using Primochill advanced which was heavily recommended to me when I built my last loop. I have a doubt about that theory aswell. I have a drain line that is on the end of a tube which sits below the partition wall I made, just makes it easy to drain the res/pump. Most of the draining is done from the 240mm rad on the CPU loop.

Back on topic, the fluid in the drain line is generally much better than the fluid in the rest of the loop, which I find odd

Ryzen Ram Guide

I'm using Primochill advanced which was heavily recommended to me when I built my last loop. I have a doubt about that theory aswell. I have a drain line that is on the end of a tube which sits below the partition wall I made, just makes it easy to drain the res/pump. Most of the draining is done from the 240mm rad on the CPU loop.

Back on topic, the fluid in the drain line is generally much better than the fluid in the rest of the loop, which I find odd

Are you using the Primochill pro LRT tubing? If so thats your issue. Mayhems know that there is an issue with that tubing and pastel coolant.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/primochill-primoflex-advanced-tubing-13-10-clear-wc-097-pm.html

Not sure if that's the same stuff, but I have zero issues with the ice white pastel, I didn't have problems in my old loop either. Guess if it goes again ill grab some from a different manufacturer and replace it all​

Ryzen Ram Guide

Ryzen Ram Guide

Check your PH of the fluid something in your system could be causing it to change rapidly making the color of the fluid change, this is a major problem especially for UV based fluids where they cause lose their brightness within a few days.

Fluids with colours split, its been that way for over a decade of  premixed liquids. Not a single premix has actually left a loops components untainted in all the time I have been water cooling. It might look pretty but its high maintance to have a premixed or additive colour in your water. The best way to get colour is to just go with coloured tubing and leave the liquid inside to be nice and simple with as little added as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

3 weeks on since I flushed the rig and I think its starting already

NTxqeOO.jpg?1

NMHoDGi.jpg?1

Ryzen Ram Guide

3 weeks on since I flushed the rig and I think its starting already

-​SNIP-

That'st not a good sign, just wondering did you replace the tubing it looks like some of it is starting to lose it's clarity. If you can get PH strips try check the fluid to see if it's gone neutral or acidic that's usually a sign that something is causing a problem with the fluid, 

That'st not a good sign, just wondering did you replace the tubing it looks like some of it is starting to lose it's clarity. If you can get PH strips try check the fluid to see if it's gone neutral or acidic that's usually a sign that something is causing a problem with the fluid, 

I replaced around 50% of the tubing (that's all I had left) as I noticed some looked ropey when I flushed it. That piece in the pic infront of the GPUs is a new piece .... not good lol

Think I'm gonna flush it again and try X1

Gonna get a couple more months out of this first though, stripping the loop is a royal pain in the arse, ill keep doing pictures like this and see how much it fades

Ryzen Ram Guide

I replaced around 50% of the tubing (that's all I had left) as I noticed some looked ropey when I flushed it. That piece in the pic infront of the GPUs is a new piece .... not good lol

Think I'm gonna flush it again and try X1

Gonna get a couple more months out of this first though, stripping the loop is a royal pain in the arse, ill keep doing pictures like this and see how much it fades

See if it fades further, brighter or more vibrant color fluids do tend to lose a bit of it's color or fade a small amount but if it really gets worst then something is up inside the loop, most likely the PH changing from something.

See if it fades further, brighter or more vibrant color fluids do tend to lose a bit of it's color or fade a small amount but if it really gets worst then something is up inside the loop, most likely the PH changing from something.

Ive got a feeling its because of the 240mm radiator I'm using in the lower part of the loop. The 360s are Mayhems Havocs and the white loops seems fine, however there was some slight blue/black remains in the jug when I drained the GPU loops. The 240mm the one listed below

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/alphacool-nexxxos-ut60-full-copper-240mm

Ryzen Ram Guide

Ive got a feeling its because of the 240mm radiator I'm using in the lower part of the loop. The 360s are Mayhems Havocs and the white loops seems fine, however there was some slight blue/black remains in the jug when I drained the GPU loops. The 240mm the one listed below

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/alphacool-nexxxos-ut60-full-copper-240mm

I use both the Alphacool 360 and 240 personally on the white coolant and for now at least without issues. Did you flush the rads out very thoroughly, Alphacool tends to have some pretty dirty rads. I ran them with the tap connected to the rads at low pressure for a good 10mins in both directions before giving them a good shake and final rinse/dry with distilled water.

I will probably break down my loop within the next 6 months and hopefully to not find any major problems with gunk or particles in the loop, always a big fear.

I use both the Alphacool 360 and 240 personally on the white coolant and for now at least without issues. Did you flush the rads out very thoroughly, Alphacool tends to have some pretty dirty rads. I ran them with the tap connected to the rads at low pressure for a good 10mins in both directions before giving them a good shake and final rinse/dry with distilled water.

I will probably break down my loop within the next 6 months and hopefully to not find any major problems with gunk or particles in the loop, always a big fear.

I had used the 240 in my previous build along with the rad/res combo, it was added as an after thought once I realised I had space available. It was flushed out and soaked in boiling distilled water on first use and was used with Pastel red in that previous build. It was again flushed prior to this build.

Ryzen Ram Guide

It's the fluid. JayzTwoCents has the same problem...

Nice rig BTW

Ye I'm figuring that, like I said I will try X1 next time

Thanks!

Ryzen Ram Guide

I had used the 240 in my previous build along with the rad/res combo, it was added as an after thought once I realised I had space available. It was flushed out and soaked in boiling distilled water on first use and was used with Pastel red in that previous build. It was again flushed prior to this build.

Yeah I'm fairly certain it's a PH problem in the loop if it does get as bad as something like Jay had occur to his loop.

Yeah I'm fairly certain it's a PH problem in the loop if it does get as bad as something like Jay had occur to his loop.

I've seen his, that is pretty bad example

Ryzen Ram Guide

Think im going to switch to hard line tubing however it's not something I've done before, any suggestions or tips?

Ryzen Ram Guide

What did you flush the loop with?

I have been following the whole Skunkworks project and it seems that Jay only flushes with water, at least he dont say anything else.

So its possible thats where the problem is, no cleaning solution to get rid of the problem.

I used this set from Mayhems when I put my loop together and so far so haven't it changed color: http://mayhems.co.uk/store/mayhems-blitz-basic.html

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

What did you flush the loop with?

I have been following the whole Skunkworks project and it seems that Jay only flushes with water, at least he dont say anything else.

So its possible thats where the problem is, no cleaning solution to get rid of the problem.

I used this set from Mayhems when I put my loop together and so far so haven't it changed color: http://mayhems.co.uk/store/mayhems-blitz-basic.html

I used that kit the previous flush in about July time. This time I used boiled distilled water

Ryzen Ram Guide

I used that kit the previous flush in about July time. This time I used boiled distilled water

Then I guess something in your loop reacts to the liquid: http://mayhems.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2

Affected colours inc : Red, Pink, Yellow, Orange, Clear, Purple

None Affected Colours : Blue, Green, White

So the cheapest solution, would be to replace all your tubing, in the red loop, and make it all white.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.