Windows 10 Licensing Questions

AverageHardware

Hello forum,

I have a laptop that came with Windows 8, upgrade to 8.1, and then 10. I'd like to install Windows 7. I know that the embedded key in the BIOS will not work for this, and I have a separate Windows 7 key. If I install only Windows 7, and decide I want to go back to 10 again, will it still pick up the embedded key?

tl;dr

Will installing Windows 7 affect the ability to use the embedded key in the BIOS if I choose to install W10 again?

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Hello forum,

I have a laptop that came with Windows 8, upgrade to 8.1, and then 10. I'd like to install Windows 7. I know that the embedded key in the BIOS will not work for this, and I have a separate Windows 7 key. If I install only Windows 7, and decide I want to go back to 10 again, will it still pick up the embedded key?

tl;dr

Will installing Windows 7 affect the ability to use the embedded key in the BIOS if I choose to install W10 again?

If you install Windows 7 with your key and update to Windows 10 then there is no problem. But if you want to roll back again to Windows 8.1/7 after 1 month then you need to get a new key.

If you install Windows 7 with your key and update to Windows 10 then there is no problem. But if you want to roll back again to Windows 8.1/7 after 1 month then you need to get a new key.

Hmm. If I dual boot but never used 10, that would stay activated right?

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

You can install the Windows 7 on that computer using that key.

When you don't want that Windows 7 key on that PC, Open CMD as Administrator, type "slmgr /upk" without quotes. You're done. You can now use that Windows 7 key on another PC.

Then you can do the clean Installation of Windows 10 and it'll activate.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Hmm. If I dual boot but never used 10, that would stay activated right?

Yep.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.