HD 5850 for $38?

Fortress
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

It depends on the build or your HTPC. If it already has a decent power supply and you don't mind the higher power consumption than go for it i would personally go with a lower wattage PSU and a card than runs off PCIE like a HD 6450/GT 610 etc assuming my onboard graphics is not sufficient.

I'm currently building an HTPC and I was wondering if a Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 would be worth $38. I found it on a local computer parts store (similar to Free Geek, everything is tested and is working properly). And no, I can't go without a GPU, since my reused AMD FX-4300 doesn't have onboard graphics. Help would be appreciated!

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

nah, not really worth 38 usd. Offer 20 bucks, don't pay a cent more.

who cares...

iirc the 5850 is a DX 10 GPU

but if you just use as a HTPC

should be alright

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

well If you dont care about power consumption yes.. go for it.. otherwise for htpc.. any cheap new gpu would be good

It depends on the build or your HTPC. If it already has a decent power supply and you don't mind the higher power consumption than go for it i would personally go with a lower wattage PSU and a card than runs off PCIE like a HD 6450/GT 610 etc assuming my onboard graphics is not sufficient.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

It supports DX 11

oops my bad might have mistaken the older HD4xxx series

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The HTPC has a SeaSonic 500W 80+ Bronze OEM PSU which should be more than sufficient, and I don't really mind the power consumption. Marking as solved. Thanks guys!

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)