AULA Mechanical Demon King- Is it really "King"?

redrobin

Keyboards are a curious peripheral. There are so many styles, shapes, colors, builds, and price ranges. When working in an office setting, the supplier uses something extremely cheap and functional. These keyboards are designed to be as barebones as possible, while still providing a decent typing experience. On the other end of the spectrum, there lives those "Gaming" keyboards with lots of extra buttons and flashy lights to tell you that they're "Built for Gaming". But, these keyboards are more expensive than their workhorse office-grade counterparts.

So, the AULA Mechanical Demon King. I've owned one for several months, and I feel it's time that I review the very keyboard I'm typing this review with.

Bought for a measly $60 in June, I wasn't expecting myself to love this keyboard so much. It's an extremely basic, bare-bones unit. It has no fancy back lighting or software or macro keys. This keyboard doesn't even use Cherry mechanical switches, it uses Kaihl switches. On the front of the box, there are big letters that read, "Born for Game" in what I can only describe as very broken Engrish. "Great," I said to myself, having very quickly taken on some buyer's remorse, "There's no way that this keyboard can be any good." Boy, oh boy, was I gloriously wrong.

0ifqqUQ.jpg

Pros: This keyboard, even being stripped and basic, comes with a few very handy features. It has basic function keys for OS volume, and some multimedia functions. It features those actually very wonderful Kaihl Blue switches, which feel great to type on. It also has a decently long USB cable. And, well... That's pretty much it. Oh, it's cheap, but that "good" sort of cheap.

Cons: I'm going to be lenient to this keyboard, I'm not going to compare it to a Corsair K70 or a Ducky Shine 5, but some macro functions would have been very nice to have. It has no back lighting, but that's really to be expected at this price point, especially seeing that there are some keyboards that are in excess of $40 more that lack back lighting. The industrial design isn't much to harp on either, as it looks like someone took one of those mechanical IBM keyboards from the mid 80's and upgraded the internals and painted it black. It also features no audio pass throughs, but, again, this is an extreme entry level mechanical unit.

In conclusion, is this keyboard "King". Absolutely in all dimensions not, it simply isn't. However, it may be the unknown prince of the mechanical gaming keyboard world. Sure, it's basic and it likes to spit on the other nobles with their fancy lights and macro keys, but it, too, is a noble. It deserves just as much respect as all the other nobles do. As a final thought, for $60, its a great keyboard for those who want to go mechanical, and don't want to spend a lot to do it.

z48N4V8.jpg

PC Fleet:

Athena: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8GHz/MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon/16 GB RAM/ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 1070/Corsair HX850i PSU/1.85 TB Total Storage Space/NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/Windows 10

Solindra: Parted out/given away

Hot-Box HTPC: Intel Core i5-4690k @ 3.5GHz/MSI Z97 Gaming 5/16 GB RAM/1TB HDD/Geforce GTX 980/EVGA 500W PSU/Silverstone Grandia GD09B/Windows 10

I kid you not, that looks almost the exact same (body wise) as my Razer Blackwidow Chroma.

Pretty good review.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

nice review, short but on point. :) like the keyboard design, but that logo puts me off.

Any product that needs an obscene name to sell is automatically blacklisted from my approval. 

Any product that needs an obscene name to sell is automatically blacklisted from my approval. 

Wow... Then your blacklist must be pretty long  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Wait, so you're not a fan of the Inno3D iChill HerculeZ Air Boss X4 Ultra Geforce GTX 980 Ti? What's wrong with you?