Help with building a new pc (1500$ budget max)

totally ! and I think i'm going back to gtx 970 here's what I have for now :

1) i5 6600k or i7 4790k

2) gtx 970 evga or msi

3) Cooler master hyper evo 212

4) MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151

5) Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

6) WD BLACK SERIES WD 2003 FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 ( I might get an ssd at a later date, seagate has quite a few bad reviews)

7) NZXT S340

8) EVGA Super NOVA G2 550W

9) windows 10 home edition

10) can you recommend a good and cheap mouse and keyboard ?

I'd get the 6600k over the i7. The h170 board you listed supports overclocking in case you end up wanting to do it, and the cooler you picked is nice, too. I've bought two of them. It keeps my 6700k nice and cool. It idles at 26C (which is about my the temperature of the room it's in) and I haven't maxed It out in a while, but I think it maxed in the low 70s in the same s340 case.

While I'm at it, I might as well recommend another part I have and am familiar with. The s340 doesn't come with any intake fans. I have two Noctua NF-P14S Redux fans in mine. I bought them on some one else's recommendation too. They're a bit pricey, but I can't help but attribute the cool temperatures to them being there. Granted, I haven't experimented without them plugged in or installed. Maybe I should though. That'd be neat to see the difference. I use a fan splitter cable to connect them to the motherboard.

WD Black have always been good drives from what I remember. I haven't been in the market for spinning drives for a while, though, so that's why I left the Seagate drive in the lists I was working with. Just editing what some one else found. :)

Keep in mind that replacing a large hard drive with a smaller SSD can be kind of a nuisance. If you don't want to reinstall Windows on it and transfer your data to it (as if a new computer) there are cloning utilities that can help, but it can be a pain cloning to a smaller drive depending on the utility you use. Samsung SSDs come with one. I hear it works well.

Keyboards.. mice... Hmm. Do you like wired? Wireless? Any brand preferences/loyalty? I personally like Logitech stuff. I've used a number of Logitech mice over the years at home and work and never thought "this mouse is junk." How much did you think you want to spend total on both the mouse and keyboard?

I'd get the 6600k over the i7. The h170 board you listed supports overclocking in case you end up wanting to do it, and the cooler you picked is nice, too. I've bought two of them. It keeps my 6700k nice and cool. It idles at 26C (which is about my the temperature of the room it's in) and I haven't maxed It out in a while, but I think it maxed in the low 70s in the same s340 case.

While I'm at it, I might as well recommend another part I have and am familiar with. The s340 doesn't come with any intake fans. I have two Noctua NF-P14S Redux fans in mine. I bought them on some one else's recommendation too. They're a bit pricey, but I can't help but attribute the cool temperatures to them being there. Granted, I haven't experimented without them plugged in or installed. Maybe I should though. That'd be neat to see the difference. I use a fan splitter cable to connect them to the motherboard.

WD Black have always been good drives from what I remember. I haven't been in the market for spinning drives for a while, though, so that's why I left the Seagate drive in the lists I was working with. Just editing what some one else found. :)

Keep in mind that replacing a large hard drive with a smaller SSD can be kind of a nuisance. If you don't want to reinstall Windows on it and transfer your data to it (as if a new computer) there are cloning utilities that can help, but it can be a pain cloning to a smaller drive depending on the utility you use. Samsung SSDs come with one. I hear it works well.

Keyboards.. mice... Hmm. Do you like wired? Wireless? Any brand preferences/loyalty? I personally like Logitech stuff. I've used a number of Logitech mice over the years at home and work and never thought "this mouse is junk." How much did you think you want to spend total on both the mouse and keyboard?

So you have 2 that came with the case and bought another 2 Noctua NF-P14s redux ? how long have you had them for ? About the keyboard & mouse don't care about anything fancy, I just want something something comfortable that I can use for a few hours and that is pleasant to type or click (wired version) do not have a brand preference but I do like Logitech myself (let s keep it cheap)

So you have 2 that came with the case and bought another 2 Noctua NF-P14s redux ? how long have you had them for ? About the keyboard & mouse don't care about anything fancy, I just want something something comfortable that I can use for a few hours and that is pleasant to type or click (wired version) do not have a brand preference but I do like Logitech myself (let s keep it cheap)

Two of these. Higher RPM. I've had the system built for about a month.
post-122698-0-51692400-1448215752_thumb.

How about this guy for keyboard and mouse?

I've never used or handled them, but I've seen them recommended on this forum for budget builds. Depending on how cheap you want to go, that's probably the combo to get. The mouse has five buttons. The two on the side are nice for reloading weapons, crouching, etc. People on YouTube seem to like it.

Unless you're spending a lot of money on a mechanical one, the main differences are mostly aesthetics and hot keys from what I can tell. There's not much to know about keyboards and mice, though. Except that a mouse with high DPI settings allow the cursor to move far on-screen with small physical movements of the mouse... and vice versa. So that is user-preference also. There are plenty of mice that have adjustable DPI.

What I'd do is use PCPartPicker to sort by price. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/keyboard/ Manufacturer check-boxes are on the left, and the columns on the right are sortable by clicking on the column headings. It's really easy to see what's what and to help keep things visually organized so that you can stay in-budget.

Edit // I've unplugged the two Noctua intake fans and I'm going to run Prime95 (to stress the CPU) and Valley Benchmark (to stress the GPU) at the same time for 20-30 minutes. Then I'll plug the fans back in and I'll tell you the differences. It should be interesting.

@JackMack So I finished. I ran a different utility, though.  Furmark version 1.17.00.   It's 21C / 71F in my living room where the computer is. 

Here are the screenshots without the fans plugged in.

GPU:

As you can see at the top, it ran for almost 10 minutes.  As you can see at the bottom, that was long enough for the temperature to stabilize for a while.  And then back at the top again, you can see I had to run it at 4k resolution to get it to 100%. 1080p was running it at about 86%. 

It spiked at 78C once, but was 77C most of the time. 

post-122698-0-68513100-1448230112_thumb.

CPU:

I ran the Furmark CPU burner for about 10 minutes ago. It spiked at 66C but was at 58C when I took the screenshot and stopped it. 

post-122698-0-78559400-1448230173_thumb.

I'm not going to bother uploading screenshots of running with the fans because..............    ..... it's basically the same. The GPU never spiked to 78, and was at 77C the whole time.  So, no difference at all there.    

The CPU spiked at 64C... but was at 57C when I stopped the stress test.  So.. again.  Not really a difference at all considering there's a margin for error. 

Bottom line:  Not much use in running intake fans after all.

Am I butthurt I spent $40 for them? haha. No.  I've wasted $40 on worse things... like strippers and booze. 

@JackMack So I finished. I ran a different utility, though.  Furmark version 1.17.00.   It's 21C / 71F in my living room where the computer is. 

Here are the screenshots without the fans plugged in.

GPU:

As you can see at the top, it ran for almost 10 minutes.  As you can see at the bottom, that was long enough for the temperature to stabilize for a while.  And then back at the top again, you can see I had to run it at 4k resolution to get it to 100%. 1080p was running it at about 86%. 

It spiked at 78C once, but was 77C most of the time. 

attachicon.gifFurmark GPU wo fans.jpg

CPU:

I ran the Furmark CPU burner for about 10 minutes ago. It spiked at 66C but was at 58C when I took the screenshot and stopped it. 

attachicon.gifFurmark CPU wo fans.JPG

I'm not going to bother uploading screenshots of running with the fans because..............    ..... it's basically the same. The GPU never spiked to 78, and was at 77C the whole time.  So, no difference at all there.    

The CPU spiked at 64C... but was at 57C when I stopped the stress test.  So.. again.  Not really a difference at all considering there's a margin for error. 

Bottom line:  Not much use in running intake fans after all.

Am I butthurt I spent $40 for them? haha. No.  I've wasted $40 on worse things... like strippers and booze. 

I appreciate you doing these tests. Word on the street is, that these fans do help with longer sessions and I'm thinking it would be beneficial to have them if you overclock ?! I will think about it some more but maybe the two stock fans from the tower are enough ?! The keyboard I'm sorry but lol ! I might just have to take a trip to the store but first, time to do a bit more reading !

I appreciate you doing these tests. Word on the street is, that these fans do help with longer sessions and I'm thinking it would be beneficial to have them if you overclock ?! I will think about it some more but maybe the two stock fans from the tower are enough ?! The keyboard I'm sorry but lol ! I might just have to take a trip to the store but first, time to do a bit more reading !

Longer sessions.... Hmm. I dunno. It stabilized pretty quickly.

@JackMack  Dude, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9193563&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=qcLRzjFniJE&AffiliateID=qcLRzjFniJE-n1S66QzbOkB2l0PpV_FWrQ

I found that in the Hot Deals section. 

That's probably something you should jump on instead of the 970.  

I'm not completely doggin' the 970 (I bought one for my son in the last couple months) but 500MB of its 4GB of ram is slower than the rest which is only an issue if you're playing games that use more than 3.5GB ram.. which to be honest, might not happen all that often. The 980 doesn't have to deal with that.    But still.. that 980 is faster, cheap, and it still comes with a choice of two games. Buy it. 

@JackMack  Dude, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9193563&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=qcLRzjFniJE&AffiliateID=qcLRzjFniJE-n1S66QzbOkB2l0PpV_FWrQ

I found that in the Hot Deals section. 

That's probably something you should jump on instead of the 970.  

I'm not completely doggin' the 970 (I bought one for my son in the last couple months) but 500MB of its 4GB of ram is slower than the rest which is only an issue if you're playing games that use more than 3.5GB ram.. which to be honest, might not happen all that often. The 980 doesn't have to deal with that.    But still.. that 980 is faster, cheap, and it still comes with a choice of two games. Buy it. 

I am considering the msi 980 depends how the rest is gonna come together. I'm in Kansas City but I will be moving out of the country soon, so I don't know how many good deals I can take advantage of in old Europe... Btw I think I'd rather get a overclocking motherboard just in case, you know I wanna experiment later down the road. Do you have anything on a Z170 with the same specs as before ? 

1) i5 6600k or i7 4790k

2) gtx 970 or 980 msi

3) Cooler master hyper evo 212

4) -motherboard- something around 150$ +/-

5) Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

6) WD BLACK SERIES WD 2003 FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 

7) NZXT S340 

8) EVGA Super NOVA G2 550W