Compact gaming build suggestions

Digital

Hey! I would like to have some assistance and guidance over picking parts for compact gaming PC. Mostly I need help with CPU and GPU, as I haven't been keen on reading the specs of all new CPU's and GPU's (and even if I had, I wouldn't understand anything).

The PC is going to be used mainly for mainstream gaming, meaning mainly games, you guessed it, LOL and CS:GO. Still support for more needy games like GTA 5 and the new Battlefront is appreciated.

Almost everything I know about CPU's for gaming is that over 4 cores are not going to significantly improve the performance. That's pretty much it, I have no idea should I go with the new Skylake chipset or something older, thus cheaper(?). I have read that Intel 6600K is a CPU to look at, but I really don't know.

GPU's are another topic that, well, aren't my strongest. I'm just looking the numbers like dedicated memory and wondering "Why are there so freaking many cards with 'same' specs?". Well, obviously the specs aren't the same, but I can't tell the difference.

All this is going to be fit in compact MiniITX or maybe MicroATX case. About this I'm pretty concerned about the temperatures but I think I'll be fine. I have been eyeing out the Lian Li PC-O5S case, but it of course is very expensive. But one of my points of replacing my old PC is to make the new one look good. If you know other good looking compact cases, please let me know!

Now the big question; Budget? Well, it is pretty open right now. I'll be willing to stretch the budget for significant performance and visual improvement, but at first the budget would be something around 1000 - 1500€ (1,138 - 1,707 USD).

Further questions will be answered, and should be asked if I have missed something important! Help is much appreciated, and if you read this whole post I am very thankful! (You should also reconsider where you are spending your time !  :P )

Give me a moment, SG13 for you. Also, what country are you in @Digital?

I live in Finland, and I will calculate the possible shipment costs and taxes. I'll also probably compare the prices at the local stores!

Whoah, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention; I got storage covered with Samsung 250GB SSD and 1TB HDD for storage. Also mouse, keyboard and headset is covered. Monitor will be a different case later on  :P

Whoah, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention; I got storage covered with Samsung 250GB SSD and 1TB HDD for storage. Also mouse, keyboard and headset is covered. Monitor will be a different case later on   :P

Would've been nicer if you said that earlier.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card  ($321.30 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B Mini ITX Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1028.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-13 17:41 EDT-0400

That rare moment where I'm recommending a blower style 970 instead of a 390 due to the case.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

But...This is ATX  :o

yup, you're right. but the size isn't really a thing it's all about performance(that's what i think)

yup, you're right. but the size isn't really a thing it's all about performance(that's what i think)

With this build I'm going for good looking compact PC, that won't be needed nor wanted to be hidden under the desk  :P

Would've been nicer if you said that earlier.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card  ($321.30 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B Mini ITX Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1028.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-13 17:41 EDT-0400

That rare moment where I'm recommending a blower style 970 instead of a 390 due to the case.

Going for the good looks I'm probably going for something like PC-O5S (~350$). I probably would also change the cooler to raijintek triton for the good looks. But I appreciate the help with mobo, CPU and RAM. I think I will go for skylake and new DDR4 memory! Also, does the upgrade form Core i5 to i7 really improve gaming performance?

Going for the good looks I'm probably going for something like PC-O5S (~350$). I probably would also change the cooler to raijintek triton for the good looks. But I appreciate the help with mobo, CPU and RAM. I think I will go for skylake and new DDR4 memory! Also, does the upgrade form Core i5 to i7 really improve gaming performance?

i5 to i7 in games? Basically no difference at the moment. Also, good luck fitting that raijintek triton in any mitx case (except hadron water and the other one which are both massive for mitx) the 120mm rad should do great at cooling down that i5 plus I know it'll fit if you bend the tubes the right way. Also, the SG13 is basically the smallest case on the market that can fit a gaming system in it without sacrificing too much (you may have to duct tape a SSD though, watch linus' build in it)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats