Best Possible Folding/Boinc Machine?

So I was reading the thread for when LTT did the OVERKILL Video, but the comments were disagreeing. 3: So now I have a huge question. What would be the absolute best setup for Folding AND Boinc? owo If you have lists, please put them in PCPartpicker~! That would halp lots in comparison.

Moist

I cant put together a list for you right now but, basically you want middle tier cpu with probably all the dual gpu cards you can fit ,as folding and boinc projects doesnt want sli or crossfire, but I have no idea about ram, probably 8 will be more than enough for gpu based projects.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I cant put together a list for you right now but, basically you want middle tier cpu with probably all the dual gpu cards you can fit ,as folding and boinc projects doesnt want sli or crossfire, but I have no idea about ram, probably 8 will be more than enough for gpu based projects.

could you possibly do the thing GPU miners did back in the day, and split up risers to as many cards as they could hook up to the mobo?

could you possibly do the thing GPU miners did back in the day, and split up risers to as many cards as they could hook up to the mobo?

You could, if you made a custom case. Four dual-GPU cards would already push up against the electrical limits of a single household line though (~1800W in 120V 15A standard countries) so you'd have to have some industrial electrical infrastructure too if you wanted six or seven dual GPU cards.

EDIT: FINALLLLY

@Kenji the Uke idk

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($127.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($963.57 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($963.57 @ Amazon) 
Other: Asus Radeon R9 295X28GB Video Card ($963.57)
Total: $3631.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-13 15:42 EDT-0400

Major bottleneck coming through

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

You could, if you made a custom case. Four dual-GPU cards would already push up against the electrical limits of a single household line though (~1800W in 120V 15A standard countries) so you'd have to have some industrial electrical infrastructure too if you wanted six or seven dual GPU cards.

welcome to europe where a single household line is 3680 watts.

i heard a story of a guy that blew an old street fuse from booting up a 3000 watt "PC" tho :/

So I was reading the thread for when LTT did the OVERKILL Video, but the comments were disagreeing. 3: So now I have a huge question. What would be the absolute best setup for Folding AND Boinc? owo If you have lists, please put them in PCPartpicker~! That would halp lots in comparison.

There's no single"Folding AND Boinc" rig. Just to name a few cenarios:

1. World Community Grid rewards you based on run time; the more cores, the better. So you may think that insane 72 threads machine Linus did would be great, no? Yup, no: it's actually more cost effective to buy 9 Fx 8320e Pcs than that crazy machine.
  2. HOWEVER, they would do shjt in actual intense computing. Get a 5960x, because PrimeGrid NEEDS as much cache as possible...
  3. .....as well as RAM speed. Seriously, it's so bottlenecked that upping RAM from 2133mhz to 3200mhz has a bigger effect than adding a full physical core! I think that's the only project that has this restriction, though I'm not sure.
  4. And since we are talking about Primegrid, you want 4x R9 Furys. They just piss over the 980ti all day long....
  5. ...except that GPUGrid only uses Nvidia. No love for AMD. Can't hav' em.

BTW, what were we going for again? Was it raw credit? Medals? Helping a particular subject? Geez, this is too much vagueness for me.. Establish your priorities, and I'm sure we could come up with a "best" build.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!