Newegg's Open Box Motherboards... Yay or nay?

FoxxyRin

Long story short, it seems like the motherboard my boyfriend wants is in high demand or stock is running low, as the price has jumped $40+ or so out of the blue. Newegg has an open box of the item for a great price, and I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet or not? I've never bought an open box item from Newegg, though I occasionally see some people complain about getting faulty parts. If anyone has any insight for me, I would love to know!

For anyone curious, here's the motherboard in question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128705R

Long story short, it seems like the motherboard my boyfriend wants is in high demand or stock is running low, as the price has jumped $40+ or so out of the blue. Newegg has an open box of the item for a great price, and I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet or not? I've never bought an open box item from Newegg, though I occasionally see some people complain about getting faulty parts. If anyone has any insight for me, I would love to know!

For anyone curious, here's the motherboard in question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128705R

I am pretty sure Newegg always test the hardware they are getting back. Some time ago I've bought an open box GPU and it worked like new. ;)

Give me a boost. 

You can still send it back if it doesen't work right, but I think they only replace it with the same open box model. If you bought the last one, I don't know if they'd refund you or credit you. Ask them in live chat and see, if yes, then it might be worth it.

OR wait a week and a newer shinier one will come out ;)

OR wait a week and a newer shinier one will come out ;)

If I were so sure they would release a new one at a decent price point, I'd gladly do it. My boyfriend is just so adamant on me making him a black/orange build, and the motherboard in question is just so perfect for it. The only other mobos with any orange were pretty bad on the aesthetics side.

If I were so sure they would release a new one at a decent price point, I'd gladly do it. My boyfriend is just so adamant on me making him a black/orange build, and the motherboard in question is just so perfect for it. The only other mobos with any orange were pretty bad on the aesthetics side.

Well, he's already lucky enough to have a GF who's into tech stuff, so he should take what he gets :D I'd say do it if Newegg will take it back, a lot of times I think stuff is returned because of other problems besides malfunctioning.

Well, he's already lucky enough to have a GF who's into tech stuff, so he should take what he gets :D I'd say do it if Newegg will take it back, a lot of times I think stuff is returned because of other problems besides malfunctioning.

I'll definitely contact Newegg and ask some questions about what the most common return reasons are, and how they handle these kinds of things. I wish they would just have an FAQ or something, but I couldn't find one.

My problems may actually be gone all of a sudden, though. I showed my boyfriend the new NZXT Noctis and he just about had a heart attack. Now he can't decide if he wants to go with his favorite case ever and deal with the overdone black/red, or if he wants his second favorite case with a more unique black/orange build, haha~ 

I'll definitely contact Newegg and ask some questions about what the most common return reasons are, and how they handle these kinds of things. I wish they would just have an FAQ or something, but I couldn't find one.

My problems may actually be gone all of a sudden, though. I showed my boyfriend the new NZXT Noctis and he just about had a heart attack. Now he can't decide if he wants to go with his favorite case ever and deal with the overdone black/red, or if he wants his second favorite case with a more unique black/orange build, haha~ 

They do have one, i'll dig it up :)

Look above downloadable software...

http://kb.newegg.com/FAQ/Article/1745#2

Generally open box items are OK and I've gone that route a few times. Occasionally an item that should have been in the box, wasn't, but with a MB the only other required thing would be the IO shield. (Everything else (drivers, manuals, etc) can be found on the manufacturer's site.)