GPU Programming and Gaming

If I have two Nvidia graphics cards and I choose to not use the SLI Bridge across them will they work independent of each other?

I do a lot of programming and I want to use one of them for parallel computing while keeping the other one free so that I can play games while the programs run in the background. I don't play any super intensive games and my current programs make very little use of the CPU so I am not worried about taxing my CPU by running programs and playing at the same time. My programs are much too intensive to try to game and run them at the same time. Each time I decide to run them it takes a few hours and the fans are going pretty good while they run. 

Relevant Specs:

CPU Intel 4790

2 X GPU Nvidia 970 

16 GB RAM

If I have two Nvidia graphics cards and I choose to not use the SLI Bridge across them will they work independent of each other?

I do a lot of programming and I want to use one of them for parallel computing while keeping the other one free so that I can play games while the programs run in the background. I don't play any super intensive games and my current programs make very little use of the CPU so I am not worried about taxing my CPU by running programs and playing at the same time. My programs are much too intensive to try to game and run them at the same time. Each time I decide to run them it takes a few hours and the fans are going pretty good while they run.

Relevant Specs:

CPU Intel 4790

2 X GPU Nvidia 970

16 GB RAM

As far as I know, as long as sli is disabled and there is no bridge, gpu2 should be at 0% usage till u use it for something. Worked on my gpus

CPU: Intel i7 8700k || Motherboard: Asus Z370-E ROG || RAMCorsair 4266 2x8gb || GPU: Sapphire r9 280x tri-x || Case: Corsair 780t || 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, 1TB Segate Barracuda HDD || PSUSeasonic M12II Evo 850w || Display: AOC i2367FH 1920x1080p 23 Inch ||

CPU Cooler: Corsair h80 || KeyboardCorsair Strafe || MouseCorsair Scimitar || HeadsetHyper X Cloud II || OS: Windows 10 ||

Relevant Specs:

CPU Intel 4790

2 X GPU Nvidia 970 

16 GB RAM

If you truly don't plan on putting them in sli you could get two different cards.

Like a gtx 970 and an original gtx titan for near the same price.

From what I understand Maxwell isn't t he greatest with compute..

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k