XFire question help plz

Go to solution Solved by Kinda Bottlenecked,

CrossFire will work with cards that have the "same" architecture. That means the Fury will only crossfire with another Fiji(or equivalent architecture) card. It cannot crossfire with a 280x because the 280x is a Tahiti card. 

I've been looking at a new fury x to crossfire with my 280x and i have been looking around some sores say that they have to be the same series like r7 and r9 which means it would be possible but then some sources say they have to be the same GPU which isn't possible because the fury x is Fiji but the 280x is like Tonga so I'm lost plz help.

I've been looking at a new fury x to crossfire with my 280x and i have been looking around some sores say that they have to be the same series like r7 and r9 which means it would be possible but then some sources say they have to be the same GPU which isn't possible because the fury x is Fiji but the 280x is like Tonga so I'm lost plz help.

I'm not sure if you could, but when using a setup where one card is better than the other, it clocks the better one down to match.  so even if it did work, it would be a waste of money.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

The VRAM will be dropped to the amount on the lowest card. The performance should increase and may be worth it for your applications. AKA Not gaming; it won't make a big difference. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Noooooooooo just use one fury. Two different card always goes wrong even if you make one of them do only PhysX

CPU:Intel Core i7-5930K @4.5GGPU: 2 of MSI R9 390X GAMING 8G Graphics Card crossfire   Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99    Ram:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz  SSD:2 of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB WatercoolerCorsair Hydro Series H100i GTX  CaseCorsair Graphite Series 780T   PSU: EVGA 1000 P2  80+platinum  Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB black Monitor: LG277MU67 4K IPS FREESYNC

I'm not sure if you could, but when using a setup where one card is better than the other, it clocks the better one down to match.  so even if it did work, it would be a waste of money.

i understand this I wanted to get one fury x just to have a crossfire then replace the 280x with fury x when I can afford it

The VRAM will be dropped to the amount on the lowest card. The performance should increase and may be worth it for your applications. AKA Not gaming; it won't make a big difference.

i understand how crossfire works but I was just wondering if it would work or not

Define "work", will you be able to turn on e the computer? More than likely. Will it be an improvement over the lone 280x? Less than likely because of issues with compatibility.

I'd run the Furry by itself until you can buy another.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

CrossFire will work with cards that have the "same" architecture. That means the Fury will only crossfire with another Fiji(or equivalent architecture) card. It cannot crossfire with a 280x because the 280x is a Tahiti card. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Define "work", will you be able to turn on e the computer? More than likely. Will it be an improvement over the lone 280x? Less than likely because of issues with compatibility.

I'd run the Furry by itself until you can buy another.

thanx for the advice

this is what I was looking for ty