6th Gen. AMD A-Series APU Cuts Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 50%

fade2green514
"Reducing carbon emissions is the right thing to do for the environment, and it brings the additional benefit of reducing how much individuals and businesses spend on electricity as well," said Kevin Krewell, principal analyst, Tirias Research. "AMD made an audacious promise fifteen months ago to improve the energy efficiency of their processors by 25 times by 2020. A projected 50 percent reduction in usage-phase greenhouse gas emissions by the 6th Generation AMD A-Series APU is further proof the company is making serious progress in its commitment to a cleaner planet and lower energy bills."

http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/9809/study-shows-6th-gen-amd-series-apu-cuts-greenhouse-gas-emissions-50/index.html

this is pretty interesting. they did make the promise. and they're starting to deliver. i personally hope they are able to catch up to intel with the energy efficiency and keep their gpu's performing better as well. the industry is certainly changing as they hit more roadblocks in making chips faster, so they need to make their products attractive in another way. and as an IT professional, i see this easily cutting the cost of large projects and even new (small) businesses springing up.

well they made the first step towards better efficiency with hbm ... i'd like to see what arctic islands & 16nm process has in store.

AMD still has no faith in their GPU's.

c22f35a3af.JPG

JK

Spoiler
b93f87cb31.png

AMD logo is green...

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

aaand there it goes all the $ they had .. into recycling crap .. instead of focusing on a damn CPU

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

energy efficiency

yawning.jpg

no but seriously, good job AMD. one step at a time!

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

AMD logo is green...

The cpu division's logo is green, the gpu one is red. Of course we're talking cpus here, but if we were talking gpus...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

while AMD commits to being greener i run my cars with straight pipe exhausts no emissions equipment no catalytic converter no mufflers go on AMD do your thing!

AMD was the Green team to me :D gFEmGon.jpg

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Maybe I'm way off here, but wouldn't intel being overall way ahead in power consumption and manufacturing size would be a lot more green anyway?

-------

Current Rig

-------

The cpu division's logo is green, the gpu one is red. Of course we're talking cpus here, but if we were talking gpus...

Of course we're talking about AMD, if we were talking about Intel... WTF does that mean?

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Of course we're talking about AMD, if we were talking about Intel... WTF does that mean?

Blimey, grow a sense of humour! It's two divisions of the same company, and one of the two has a big competitor whose general theme is green...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

while AMD commits to being greener i run my cars with straight pipe exhausts no emissions equipment no catalytic converter no mufflers go on AMD do your thing!

AMD was the Green team to me :D gFEmGon.jpg

If what you said is true, then you're a fucking prick mate...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Maybe I'm way off here, but wouldn't intel being overall way ahead in power consumption and manufacturing size would be a lot more green anyway?

technically no... since intel has its own fabrication...

and THAT is polluting on so many levels (semiconductor production include arsenic and other toxic or poisonous substances among other things)

AMD no longer has their own fabs, so technically, if you want to argue on semantics, they are in line to be "greener then intel".

also, intels "energy efficiency" isnt THAT much ahead... It just seems that way, but 30w is not a whole lot unless you have a whole server park at hand. However in the server segment, AMD isnt totally horrible energy wise.

If what you said is true, then you're a fucking prick mate...

i don't care about the environment  thats someone else's problem had other previous cars with similar exhausts but currently 

S13 ca18det (s14 sr20 t28) single 3" pipe into a cannon 

X81 1j single turbo (gt35) 3" to twin 2.5" pipe

XY will be done soon enough i plan on having the extractors  merging into a single pipe exiting behind the front wheel

yes i am a car guy nothing i like more than the feeling of the fast car ,the smell of  tyre smoke and fuel.

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Blimey, grow a sense of humour! It's two divisions of the same company, and one of the two has a big competitor whose general theme is green...

I'm just joking. :P

Spoiler

from an it standpoint you will be able to put more computers on each electrical circuit. you will therefore need to spend less to build an office. also your electric bill will go down substantially... 

and last but not least, the percentage of electricity we consume that is clean renewable energy will go up, because we need less overall (even if its just a slight bump)

technically no... since intel has its own fabrication...

and THAT is polluting on so many levels (semiconductor production include arsenic and other toxic or poisonous substances among other things)

AMD no longer has their own fabs, so technically, if you want to argue on semantics, they are in line to be "greener then intel".

also, intels "energy efficiency" isnt THAT much ahead... It just seems that way, but 30w is not a whole lot unless you have a whole server park at hand. However in the server segment, AMD isnt totally horrible energy wise.

But the chips are still being fabricated by somebody at your behest and on your dime. That makes even less sense.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The company logo is. "Radeon" is branded as red. So yeah. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

But the chips are still being fabricated by somebody at your behest and on your dime. That makes even less sense.

it is up to them to improve the efficiency of their fabrication process and the fabrication plant itself. Not AMDs... Remember, TSCM GloFo and samsung takes orders from alot of others, not AMD exclusively. So it is not AMDs responsibility to improve their efficiency.

it is up to them to improve the efficiency of their fabrication process and the fabrication plant itself. Not AMDs... Remember, TSCM GloFo and samsung takes orders from alot of others, not AMD exclusively. So it is not AMDs responsibility to improve their efficiency.

Right so I can produce the most inefficient and dirty running car motor ever and still call it "green" since I don't manufacture it and is up to a third party to improve their manufacturing process, even though my incentive is on the exact opposite since multiple companies compete for the business and the lowest manufacturing price, and also completely sidestepping the fact that I designed a motor that's subjectively worst for the environment than the competition's.

Still waiting for the fucking green part.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Right so I can produce the most inefficient and dirty running car motor ever and still call it "green" since I don't manufacture it and is up to a third party to improve their manufacturing process, even though my incentive is on the exact opposite since multiple companies compete for the business and the lowest manufacturing price, and also completely sidestepping the fact that I designed a motor that's subjectively worst for the environment than the competition's.

Still waiting for the fucking green part.

no.

if you design something "dirty" then you are to blame.

If you design something green and the factory that does the job for you is "dirty" then honestly, it is not your factory so you cannot force them to upgrade a massive factory for your own ideals. You can pressure the factory making steps to be more enviromentally friendly, but you can not force them. Because if you try to force them, especially in the semiconductor business where there are just so many players, you will be rejected and told to go elsewhere, or forced to pay for their upgrade. Which is going to be expensive, way way way expensive for one outside company to pay the bill for.

no.

if you design something "dirty" then you are to blame.

If you design something green and the factory that does the job for you is "dirty" then honestly, it is not your factory so you cannot force them to upgrade a massive factory for your own ideals

Asked and answered on the previous post.

-------

Current Rig

-------