Transparent solar-powered battery

jos

transparent-solar-battery-prototype.jpg?

new type of battery that’s not only transparent, but it can also charge via solar power. The technology could also be used for products in the future, such as smartphones, smart office and home windows that would be able to let the sun’s light pass through them, but also recharge and store energy. when exposed to sunlight, the battery becomes slightly tinted, transmitting 30% less light – but it’s still transparent. When fully discharged, the light transmittance rises to approximately 60 percent. To pull these tricks off, the team of scientists shrunk down the electrodes, all the way down to around 80-90nm, to allow light to pass through

My Opinion:

Finally fully transparent smartphones are possible. Hope it wont break easily.. before it just used to be screen that needs to be replaced for a fall.. now battery too....... but imagine if it catches fires when it breaks down..

Source: http://bgr.com/2015/09/14/solar-powered-transparent-battery/

im really just interested in the potential solar windows that could make... Free power. Free heat potential too since it stays 30% when charging...

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

im really just interested in the potential solar windows that could make... Free power. Free heat potential too since it stays 30% when charging...

That was what i was thinking too, it would be cool if you could charge your electronics just off the solar windows 

My Rig: i7-3770K, EVGA gtx980 SC, Asus P8-Z77 V-Pro, 2X Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, 1X 850 Evo 1TB SSD, Corsair Obsidian 650D, 2X8GB Gskill Ripjaws, Seasonic X-850w PSU, Corsair H100i, 2X Asus vg248qe, Corsair Sabre RGB, 2X Corsair K95 RGB, Hyper X Cloud II

Corsair Krew - Lifetime Member  ASUS Krew - Lifetime Member  Samsung Krew - Lifetime Member EVGA Krew - Lifetime Member  Intel Krew - Lifetime Member

it honestly  wonder why phones already dont have discreet small solar panels in them, ya its not going to full charge you anytime soon but it would certainly give you a bit of a boost throughout the day.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

-snip-

Well smartphones can't really be fully transparent since you still need a PCB and chips on it :S

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

it honestly  wonder why phones already dont have discreet small solar panels in them, ya its not going to full charge you anytime soon but it would certainly give you a bit of a boost throughout the day.

The efficiency of solar panels is not good wnough, adding one to a smartphone it wouldn't make any noticeable improvement, you could measure an improvement, but most likely people will never notice it.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

The efficiency of solar panels is not good wnough, adding one to a smartphone it wouldn't make any noticeable improvement, you could measure an improvement, but most likely people will never notice it.

no most wuldnt but if it was proven that it added even an hour of batt life on "an average day out" kinda thing I dont see why not.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

no most wuldnt but if it was proven that it added even an hour of batt life on "an average day out" kinda thing I dont see why not.

If you could keep the phone under the direct sunlight, then maybe, with random exposures to the Sun, I don't see how it can give you an additional hour, maybe if the phone went into a low power mode.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

For phone I'm not sure as my phone stays in the pocket when not used. But on smartwatch that could be useful.

Finally fully transparent smartphones are possible.

A transparent smarthpone would degrade the quality of the image on its display. It would make pictures and text not nice to look at, since you would always have other random stuff shining trough the background and blending into whatever you're looking at.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

wouldn't this decrease the efficiency of the solar panel seems counter intuitive 

If you could make this larger, you could have the solar panel and battery integrated on the roof of your house, this would save space. As mentioned earlier, a window on the house could now become a solar cell and harness that energy as well. Would be pretty good here in Florida.