usb 3.0 stick tranfer speeds really slow

noobbuilder
Go to solution Solved by Blebekblebek,

so there's nothing wrong with your USB port, it works normally.

your flash drive is the limitation.

unfortunately there's nothing much you can do about it.

maybe getting USB SSD pendrive if you really want fast write.

or another flash drive brand with different chipset.

hi

i have a sandisk usb 3.0 stick and copying videos to the stick starts out at around 41 MB and then at about 15% complete the transfer speed drops down to 9-10 MB.

any ideas why this is happening ?

i am copying off a ssd to the usb 3.0 stick  plugged into a blue usb port.

thanks

8700k , 32gb ram , 2080 ti ftw3 ultra , msi gaming m5 , 7.1 kilpsch rp series , denon srh750 , sony 65x900f, 27tb's hdd's+ssd's , cooler master h500p modded case

hi

i have a sandisk usb 3.0 stick and copying videos to the stick starts out at around 41 MB and then at about 15% complete the transfer speed drops down to 9-10 MB.

thanks

I'm willing to bet that is just the stick itself.  I doubt it will ever really be much better.  Most USB storage drives use crappy controllers that can only handle so many commands in the que.  That coupled with the flash storage on these drives (generally) is just kinda shitty.  You'd have to pay a pretty penny for a well performing USB drive.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

hi

thanks

Have you got USB 3.0 drivers installed? Also, are the USB 3.0 Ports plugged into the 3.0 socket on your motherboard? 

Are you sure that the stick is 3.0? Could be a fake?!!

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

yes  i have usb 3.0 drivers installed and yes i checked and made sure there plugged into the right port on mb .

my toshiba external 3.0 2TB will copy the same file at 140 MB ...maybe it is just cause it was a cheap usb stick i only paid like $17 dollars for it ,but i still thought it would be faster than 9-10 MB

any suggestions on a usb 3.0 stick that will copy videos fast ?

8700k , 32gb ram , 2080 ti ftw3 ultra , msi gaming m5 , 7.1 kilpsch rp series , denon srh750 , sony 65x900f, 27tb's hdd's+ssd's , cooler master h500p modded case

yes  i have usb 3.0 drivers installed and yes i checked and made sure there plugged into the right port on mb .

my toshiba external 3.0 2TB will copy the same file at 140 MB ...maybe it is just cause it was a cheap usb stick i only paid like $17 dollars for it ,but i still thought it would be faster than 9-10 MB

any suggestions on a usb 3.0 stick that will copy videos fast ?

What brand is that USB stick?

I suggest you to get something decent like Corsair's any Flash drives, Kingston's, Sandisk's and Adata. They're good.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

it's a Sandisk Ultra

If you can tell the exact model I could look into it but yes usually read is on the box and the write is much much slower. The physically smaller drive assume the site to be worse.

it's a Sandisk Ultra

Its a shower one that's kinda hard to open. The hole in the back is just through one thing piece of plastic? (or just link model)

did you plug any USB devices into USB3 port except that stick?

yes i also have a toshiba 3.0 2TB external drive plugged in , but its plugged into one of my back usb 3.0 ports

okay, you are trying to write data into it

unfortunately even with USB3 support, writing down flash drive isn't fast as it read.

it just nature of flash drive.

41MB first load, is the speed of your data buffering into system before it got passed to your flash drive.

try to copy from your flash drive to your ssd/hdd.

btw how speed write on your ext. hdd?

i just ran a test with hdtune and it says transfer rate is 

minmum   42.2MB

max          114.6MB

avg           100MB

burst          22.4MB

cpu usage   %13.7

benchmarking is not really helping with real situation

specially if you trying to copy/write lot's of files

you can try copying/writing single file.

copy from the sandisk usb to ssd  is  130mb until it gets around 90% then drops to 30-40mb

the external toshiba drive copy and transfers to ssd  at avg 120-150mb

i'm copying the same single file in each case a 6.55gb mkv file

so there's nothing wrong with your USB port, it works normally.

your flash drive is the limitation.

unfortunately there's nothing much you can do about it.

maybe getting USB SSD pendrive if you really want fast write.

or another flash drive brand with different chipset.

alright thanks for your time i will get a better drive  i was just hoping there was something not set right and i could adjust.

That one will drop down to USB 2.0 speeds on the writes but it shouldn't be that slow especially for large sequential files like you using.

What usb 3.0 controller are you using. I ask because many boards have an additional as media controller.

copy from the sandisk usb to ssd is 130mb until it gets around 90% then drops to 30-40mb

the external toshiba drive copy and transfers to ssd at avg 120-150mb

I'm surprised you getting that high on the writes initially. I bets it's because you using the same file to test and its still in the cache. Try crystal disc mark.