I need a Surface, but which one to get?

Olivertheguy

I am in need of a new mobile computing device and have looked at all the options. I have come to the conclusion that a Surface Pro 3 would suit my need well, but the first question is Skylake? Should I wait until the Pro 4 comes out or snatch up a 3 while there cheap? Secondly what spec, the best bang of buck seems to be the i5 with 4GB of ram, but I don't know if this will be fast enough for what I want to do:

Adobe CC mostly Photoshop, Lightroom, Muse and Premiere Pro (nothing hardcore, no rendering and only basic editing and effects in Premier and Photoshop)

Blender (Low Poly 3D modeling)

Programing (C#, Python, Java .etc only small(ish) projects for the web and windows store)

(Very) Light Gaming, Minecraft, Prison Architect and that sort of 2D and basic 3D games

Web Browsing, Chrome with lots of tabs 10-20 on a usual day (is 4gb enough or do I need 8gb)

Basic 2D Game Development in Unity

Thats all of the intensive stuff I will be doing but 60% of the time it will be OneNote, Excel, Word and 5-10 Chrome Tabs

Thanks  :D

Aim high, hit low. - Oliver Guy (Me)

If you can't make it good, at least make it look good. - Bill Gates

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

I would wait for the Surface Pro 4 as well. It will only make the Surface Pro 3 cheaper. If you are in immediate need of a Surface. A Surface Pro 3 is great. I have had the i5 8GB of RAM 256GB model for over a year. Still runs great.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

I am in need of a new mobile computing device and have looked at all the options. I have come to the conclusion that a Surface Pro 3 would suit my need well, but the first question is Skylake? Should I wait until the Pro 4 comes out or snatch up a 3 while there cheap? Secondly what spec, the best bang of buck seems to be the i5 with 4GB of ram, but I don't know if this will be fast enough for what I want to do:

Adobe CC mostly Photoshop, Lightroom, Muse and Premiere Pro (nothing hardcore, no rendering and only basic editing and effects in Premier and Photoshop)

Blender (Low Poly 3D modeling)

Programing (C#, Python, Java .etc only small(ish) projects for the web and windows store)

(Very) Light Gaming, Minecraft, Prison Architect and that sort of 2D and basic 3D games

Web Browsing, Chrome with lots of tabs 10-20 on a usual day (is 4gb enough or do I need 8gb)

Basic 2D Game Development in Unity

Thats all of the intensive stuff I will be doing but 60% of the time it will be OneNote, Excel, Word and 5-10 Chrome Tabs

Thanks  :D

if had to buy a new pc ( i do many of the same things as you do) i would go for the surface pro 3 8gb ram 256gb ssd, just for all the nice features it has, and if you are a student it would be awesome. But if you can wait go for the pro 4 unless it has a core m cpu.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.