Anyone knows RFID?

Doughnutnator

Hi guys! I need your help!

I want to use RFID to do a simple task:

- Detect RFID tag

- Play sound when it detects it

Like an alarm, but cheap if possible

Any ideas? I googled about it but I find super cool projects like cat feeder and stuff like that, not what i'm looking for.

Also I want to know where to buy the RFID and materials to make the reader-alarm.

don't have much experience with RFID tags per se, but I've done a couple of projects that may or may not relate.

The RFID reader basically receives a token which it validates. if the validation value is true (validation bit is 1) you can set it to play a specific sound. Or at least that's how it should work.

It's a simple matter of reading the RFID tag and setting the microcontroller to play_sound or smth.

check ebay for RFID cards, readers and writers. Might be a bit expensive, though

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

789-02.jpg

a friend of mine used one of these for a project.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/789

EDIT: its supposed to be paired up with an arduino. which i can REALLY recommend for projects like these.

My project it's simple, my problem is the range, I want the reader to detect the RFID card (the little thing you see in books and that stuff) without any user intervention.

Just be there, scanning for card, detect one and play a sound.

So that thing and an Arduino would do the job? Is that expensive? Thanks :)

don't have much experience with RFID tags per se, but I've done a couple of projects that may or may not relate.

The RFID reader basically receives a token which it validates. if the validation value is true (validation bit is 1) you can set it to play a specific sound. Or at least that's how it should work.

It's a simple matter of reading the RFID tag and setting the microcontroller to play_sound or smth.

check ebay for RFID cards, readers and writers. Might be a bit expensive, though

I need to buy the card, reader and writer?

It's my first time doing something like this, so let me get this straight

Reader: Detects the card, checks for specific and defined by you ID, and I guess that it gives you a "1" or "true" when it does, so you can make a simple "if" with that one. IIRC I have to program it to detect certain RFID. In my case

if (detectionvariable=1)

{ playsound }

Card: Little thing with a coil that has a specific ID, doesn't need energy, interacts with the Reader. It's the thing that you find in books and stuff.

Writer: I guess you can write ID's in cards with this one. To be honest I don't know what the writer does.

My project it's simple, my problem is the range, I want the reader to detect the RFID card (the little thing you see in books and that stuff) without any user intervention.

dont expect much range from RFID, but if you can get the card semi-close to the antenna it should work.

the module itself is appareantly $40, the arduino uno (base model) can be gotten for like $20-30.

the software to program arduino is free, and theres hundreds upon hundreds of libraries and tutorials about them.

EDIT: you'll also need a means of playing a sound, but knowing arduino theres ways to do it.

RFID only works on VERY short ranges.

We use RFID cards to access the office and you literally have to touch the reader for it to work.

Because the actual cards don't have an internal power supply they rely on wireless power from the RFID reader to power them

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

I need to buy the card, reader and writer?

It's my first time doing something like this, so let me get this straight

Reader: Detects the card, checks for specific and defined by you ID, and I guess that it gives you a "1" or "true" when it does, so you can make a simple "if" with that one. IIRC I have to program it to detect certain RFID. In my case

if (detectionvariable=1)

{ playsound }

Card: Little thing with a coil that has a specific ID, doesn't need energy, interacts with the Reader. It's the thing that you find in books and stuff.

Writer: I guess you can write ID's in cards with this one. To be honest I don't know what the writer does.

Reader: pretty much

Card: don't think you can find the coils themselves, rather cards like these

Writer: Unsure if the reader also supports transmitting data to the card, so you might need a separate device to write data to said cards. Afaik, the cards we use to access the elevators/offices here come with a pre-written access code of sorts. Again, not sure if you can actually write data to the cards or if you just need to use its ID/passcode/whatever.

Ex: my card has the code XXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XX on it. When I "scan it" to access a door it might only read the code which is imbeded within the card and if it finds it to be valid (checked against some sort of database), it gives access to specific floors (in the case of the elevator) or offices 

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

dont expect much range from RFID, but if you can get the card semi-close to the antenna it should work.

the module itself is appareantly $40, the arduino uno (base model) can be gotten for like $20-30.

the software to program arduino is free, and theres hundreds upon hundreds of libraries and tutorials about them.

EDIT: you'll also need a means of playing a sound, but knowing arduino theres ways to do it.

Thank you very much, sounds interesting and fun.

So i'm not even going to get <1m from that?

Writer: Unsure if the reader also supports transmitting data to the card, so you might need a separate device to write data to said cards. Afaik, the cards we use to access the elevators/offices here come with a pre-written access code of sorts. Again, not sure if you can actually write data to the cards or if you just need to use its ID/passcode/whatever.

Ex: my card has the code XXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XX on it. When I "scan it" to access a door it might only read the code which is imbeded within the card and if it finds it to be valid (checked against some sort of database), it gives access to specific floors (in the case of the elevator) or offices

Guess it's better to buy the cards and register the numbers in the reader.

The only bad thing is the range, i need it to be <1m :( at least ½m

Thank you very much, sounds interesting and fun.

So i'm not even going to get <1m from that?

from what i remember from the guy using before mentioned card the range is about... 5cm max.

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

from what i remember from the guy using before mentioned card the range is about... 5cm max.

Oh that's not good...

Amyways thank you :)

Do you know if there's any way to increase range?

It depends if you want to use passive or active RFID both are very cheap relatively and you can do practically anything with it. If you go passive you are limited in memory but if you are only performing the task you are talking about then you should have no problem as you are not storing huge amounts of data. It only really becomes a problem when you want to store vast amounts of information like bank details etc.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

You can write data to the RFID card it has very limited storage but you do write data to it and it is rewritable.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

The range problem can be solved by using active tags or gates to detect the tags like the security Gates used in stores. I would not use the little card RFID tags rather the little metal pill looking ones.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

The range problem can be solved by using active tags or gates to detect the tags like the security Gates used in stores. I would not use the little card RFID tags rather the little metal pill looking ones.

Thank you :D

It's medium range rfid expensive?

Store antennas/gates cost like $1000

Thank you :D

It's medium range rfid expensive?

Store antennas/gates cost like $1000

I had a quick look online for some cheaper alternatives. I'd just like to highlight that by no means am I an expert in this field I just happened to do a short study and report on it in uni about the possible uses of RFID in the hospitals. I found this which seems to be of a pretty reasonable price and might suit your needs but I would have a look round the site yourself as I'm on my phone so couldn't really look in to it properly. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

http://www.atlasrfidstore.com/mti-mt-263003-n-lp-outdoor-rfid-antenna-902-928-mhz/

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I had a quick look online for some cheaper alternatives. I'd just like to highlight that by no means am I an expert in this field I just happened to do a short study and report on it in uni about the possible uses of RFID in the hospitals. I found this which seems to be of a pretty reasonable price and might suit your needs but I would have a look round the site yourself as I'm on my phone so couldn't really look in to it properly. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

http://www.atlasrfidstore.com/mti-mt-263003-n-lp-outdoor-rfid-antenna-902-928-mhz/

Thanks a lot man. It really helps.

So that's the antenna that I have to connect to the reader? Or that's the reader itself?

Thanks a lot man. It really helps.

So that's the antenna that I have to connect to the reader? Or that's the reader itself?

Looks to be just the antenna but I'm not sure I will check after I get off of work limited on my phone.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

So I did a bit of reading on my phone and so far I've found you should be going with a circular polarisation so that the tag can be read in all axis here's a random one that looks alright it's probably a bit overkill tbh as it's for commercial use but you wanted the range so I guess that's what you would have to go with. This is just the antenna yes it needs a power source and the reader you should check what antenna connection the reader you were looking at has it tells you the antennas connection in the link.
Also if you use a passive tag your looking at about 3 foot read distance so active would probably suit better.  This guy does 2.5m reads ( http://www.atlasrfidstore.com/omni-id-fit-200-rfid-tag-pack-of-10/ )

http://www.atlasrfidstore.com/rfmax-circular-polarity-rfid-panel-antenna-flush-mount/

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

So I did a bit of reading on my phone and so far I've found you should be going with a circular polarisation so that the tag can be read in all axis here's a random one that looks alright it's probably a bit overkill tbh as it's for commercial use but you wanted the range so I guess that's what you would have to go with. This is just the antenna yes it needs a power source and the reader you should check what antenna connection the reader you were looking at has it tells you the antennas connection in the link.

Also if you use a passive tag your looking at about 3 foot read distance so active would probably suit better. This guy does 2.5m reads ( http://www.atlasrfidstore.com/omni-id-fit-200-rfid-tag-pack-of-10/ )

http://www.atlasrfidstore.com/rfmax-circular-polarity-rfid-panel-antenna-flush-mount/

Oh my god thank you so much, I found basically the same stuff.

Sorry for the late reply BTW, internet went down in my house.

It seems that it would be OK to use 5cm range for my project (make it on a scale)

Here's what I want to do:

- Put RFID Reader in a bus stop

- Put simple RFID Tag in white cane

- Blind people with RFID in white cane goes to bus stop, reader in bus stop detects RFID Tag, plays a recording saying which buses go to that stop

That's it. I can do it but small.

What do you thing about the idea? It would be my project for my final year of high school, i'm choosing something simple because I have to do an extensive research about it, and I have to deliver at least a functional prototype by May16.

Yeah sounds like great idea yeah and it's probably best to go with the 5cm scale as it does get pricey adding the extra range would be a bit much for a school project. Are they not going to give you any money if they want a functional prototype? Will be cool to have all the equipment anyway as there's so many things you can do with it.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Yeah sounds like great idea yeah and it's probably best to go with the 5cm scale as it does get pricey adding the extra range would be a bit much for a school project. Are they not going to give you any money if they want a functional prototype? Will be cool to have all the equipment anyway as there's so many things you can do with it.

Yes, I think the close range will work, so I can make 2-3 and show how it works :D

Nope, they dont give me any money, all by myself (and my team)

So, any RFID reader and any RFID would work right? I just have to configure all the readers to search for the same tag and i'm good to go?

Yes, I think the close range will work, so I can make 2-3 and show how it works :D

Nope, they dont give me any money, all by myself (and my team)

So, any RFID reader and any RFID would work right? I just have to configure all the readers to search for the same tag and i'm good to go?

Yep then figure out how to get the arduino to play music. You could just use a raspberry pi they're around the same price but much more useful.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass