MSI X99S XPOWER AC MotherBoard

KillerTech
Now if you are not familiar with MSI's XPower motherboards then you should be. MSI has two classes of motherboards geared towards extreme overclocking, that is the XPower and the MPower. Now the M and XPower have been around for some time featured for the Intel chipsets Z87 and Z97 and its first extreme platform X99 and soon the Z170 platform as well. At the point MSI scrapped the black and yellow colour scheme I lost interest for Skylake. For that exact reason today I am reviewing the MSI X99S XPower AC Motherboard one of the highest end motherboards in MSI’s X99 lineup.

Prices:

USD: $460

GBP: £300

Euros: €410

So first, we have the box and as far as boxes go this one is awesome; you can check out my full unboxing and first look at everything in the box including the board itself, below.

The board looks absolutely awesome with its black and yellow colour scheme. All of the onboard buttons light up red and yellow along with the XPower logo and the audio boost chip. Something as well that stood out on boot, was the digital red numbers on the top right that display the CPU temperature as well as the boot code in case your awesome new build doesn’t boot!

Besides looking awesome, the XPower board also performs with a crap ton of new features allowing it to do so.

- DDR4 RAM (as with all X99 boards)

- 4-WAY MULTI-GPU (allowing for 4-way SLI and CrossFire)

- M.2 Gen3 X4 (faster transfer speeds up to 32GB/s)

- 12 Phase CPU digital power (better overclocking with stable power delivery)

- Enhanced PWM cooling (better on-board cooling)

- OC Essentials (on-board switches including a profile switch and CPU temp)

- Intel WI-FI AC module (Wireless internet and Bluetooth antennas)

Now as I have only just installed it I have not started testing the overclocking ability of this board yet however I have entered the bios and was very impressed with how easy it is to navigate and use, especially when you take in to consideration the massive amount of settings and features you can access.

Conclusion

Now the final thing to consider is was this board worth the price and in my opinion, yes the amount of features and accessories you get, make the board well worth it. Whether I manage to use all of the new features and accessories is another thing all together.

So depending on what you plan to use this board for determines whether you will get your money’s worth or not.

Nice Review!

Can I ask how the bios is like?

Ppl say MSI is the AMD of intel motherboards

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

OCSocket or is that still only the X99A XPower?

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

OCSocket or is that still only the X99A XPower?

Only Asus has OC Socket To my knowledge

Only Asus has OC Socket To my knowledge

Nope,

Asus

Gigabyte

AsRock

MSI

They all have an OC Socket type set up. But only on select boards

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Nice Review!

I've had a few MSI motherboards,

the only problems I've had have been the stupid pci spacing that plagues almost all X99 motherboards except asus and asrock

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I've had a few MSI motherboards,

the only problems I've had have been the stupid pci spacing that plagues almost all X99 motherboards except asus and asrock

Asrock does plauge up their boards but the they don't on their higher end.But like their high end board are like $150

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Nope,

Asus

Gigabyte

AsRock

MSI

Fair does; when I got my Rampage V no-one else really had any. Its an excellent board; if a little expensive. I still havent had time to properly push my CPU and the board though.

Nice Review!

Thanks.   About the bios so far I have had no problems with using it for the basics setting up my hard drive configuration, changing fan speeds and installing windows however I don't think I will find out the true good and bad until I start overclocking but seems good so far. A long way off AMD standers.    

Nope,

Asus

Gigabyte

AsRock

MSI

Asus has it on all of their X99 boards. Rest has it on selected models, but they're not that heavily marketed, so you really can't tell if it has it or not. Asrock says they have it. Gigabyte has it on the X99 SOC Champion, but it's not mentioned on its site. MSI doesn't have OC socket.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

love the video! maybe get some lights shining down on you to get rid of the shadows behind you. Subbed.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

love the video! maybe get some lights shining down on you to get rid of the shadows behind you. Subbed.

Thanks I am in the middle of moving to a much bigger room I am going to have a dedicated recording set so I will look at proper lighting when I move in.

i think you should have done a bit more research before doing this video. you didn't seem to know what half the things were  :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i think you should have done a bit more research before doing this video. you didn't seem to know what half the things were  :P

Yea well if I had done any more research It would have took the meaning out of FIRST LOOK besides I think I did ok when you consider that board has a insane amount of accessory's.   

Yea well if I had done any more research It would have took the meaning out of FIRST LOOK besides I think I did ok when you consider that board has a insane amount of accessory's.   

not really. you should do research before buying any board otherwise you could end up with a crap one. see what parts it comes with and if they will be useful. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

not really. you should do research before buying any board otherwise you could end up with a crap one. see what parts it comes with and if they will be useful. 

I did lots of research on this motherboard however at the time a couple of things escaped my mind that's all.  

Asus has it on all of their X99 boards. Rest has it on selected models, but they're not that heavily marketed, so you really can't tell if it has it or not. Asrock says they have it. Gigabyte has it on the X99 SOC Champion, but it's not mentioned on its site. MSI doesn't have OC socket.

There are some MSI x99 boards that do have the OC socket, I think it's the USB 3.1 X power board. @KingCry was going to buy one.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There are some MSI x99 boards that do have the OC socket, I think it's the USB 3.1 X power board. @KingCry was going to buy one.

Msi oc socket is not the same as the oc socket from others. Instead of having extra pins, their oc socket means, you can mount a ln2, just like the x socket found on the asus rampage v extreme.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list