Favourite membrane/rubber dome keyboard?

Really? PS/2 is N-key rollover, right? I intend to play games at night with whatever board I get.

Yes, generally ps/2 is N key rollover. Also, it's superior to USB for gaming, from a technical perspective, because it interrupts the CPu saying "hey, I got a key that needs to be registered" whereas over USB, the keyboard politely waits for the computer to ask it if anything has been pressed since last it asked. Basically, PS/2 will literally register as soon as you press the button, with USB, you are at the mercy of the polling rate (not that you can actually tell the difference, it's just that PS/2 is technically better.

Also, Topre Type S for the win!!!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The Logitec G11

w701479a.jpg

Yep, the G15 (Original) minus the screen. 

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

I don't really like membrane keyboards all that much ever since going to Cherry MX Blues, but I have a Logitech... it says Classic Keyboard 200 here... and this thing will not die, we've had it for years and years and years. It's always there if I find myself in need of a lightweight throw-around keyboard for testing builds and things like that. and it's nice to hold too, because it has a very rounded body, which also means that it looks nice with pretty much any system ever. But at it's heart.. It's... it's a keyboard. Just a keyboard. No bells, no whistles, just a keyboard.

not sure if this counts as sober dome but the current apple keyboard.

EDIT: rubber

not sure if this counts as sober dome but the current apple keyboard.

What's a sober dome?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

What's a sober dome?

whoops rubber dome.

I don't know if this will suit you, but what about Thinkpad keyboards? Lenovo sells USB variants. The ones they put in their laptops are legendary. 

I love my Dell L100

dell_keyboard_8115.jpg

I say they are pretty tactile for a membrane and ultra cheap lol

The older dell membranes are great! My dad has a Bluetooth one, and for typing, I think I like it better than my MX Red board (please don't kill me)

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

Microsoft Sidewinder X4. 

I wanted one of those. I had one of the sidewinder flight sticks though it was great at the time.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

mmm, N-Key rollover is something that you can get with PS/2, but it's dependent on the keyboard rather than the bus, for example, the IBM Model M keyboard did not support N-key rollover, if you wanted that, you needed a Model F. The real advantage that you get with PS/2 is interrupt signals rather than USB's queueing signals. Means that with PS/2, when you press a key, it takes priority over all other things, so your computer stops what it's doing to register the keystroke.

Ah okay, thought it was bus-dependent. I know about the advantages of hardware interrupts, though. (:

Silverstone ML08  ||  Intel i5-6600  ||  Gigabyte HD 7950 @ Stock  ||  Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz  ||  Gigabyte H170-N WIFI  ||  Samsung 840 Pro 128GB  ||  WD Caviar Black 1TB  ||  MSX 64-bit

The older dell membranes are great! My dad has a Bluetooth one, and for typing, I think I like it better than my MX Red board (please don't kill me)

We won't kill you. I've tried good membrane boards before as well. Sometimes my fingers just feel little worn-out from typing on a mech, and the softness of the domes can be a nice break. I'm sure we'd all love a Topre board for this use but they're far too expensive for what they are, IMHO.

Silverstone ML08  ||  Intel i5-6600  ||  Gigabyte HD 7950 @ Stock  ||  Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz  ||  Gigabyte H170-N WIFI  ||  Samsung 840 Pro 128GB  ||  WD Caviar Black 1TB  ||  MSX 64-bit

I don't know if this will suit you, but what about Thinkpad keyboards? Lenovo sells USB variants. The ones they put in their laptops are legendary. 

I don't like their old-style ones with the fatter laptop-esque keys, but their newer models with the chiclet/island style keys look nice. Unfortunately they're pretty expensive here in Australia AFAIK. I'll look them up again, thanks for mentioning. 

whoops rubber dome.

It's okay man, we all run into those alcoholic keyboards from time to time. They have support groups and such, so they'll be fine. Don't feel responsible, it's their own fault, not yours.

Microsoft Sidewinder X6 with its detachable and repositionable numpad that when you put it on the left acted as a macropad.

gm_swx6_ci.jpg

Corsairs K70

Non mech, comfy, quiet and great build quality.

I prefer it over my brothers hogher end corsair mech.

Do you mean K30 or K40? The K70 is a high-end corsair mech. 

Microsoft Sidewinder X6 with its detachable and repositionable numpad that when you put it on the left acted as a macropad.

gm_swx6_ci.jpg

This is literally the only tenkeyless rubber dome board I've ever seen in my life. 

I heard bad things about their lifespan. Do you own one?

I did  years ago, Used it myself for over a year before I made the switch to mechanical boards, sold it to a friend who's still using it now. I got it when it first released so I want to say its 5 years old at this time still going strong. 

Edit: Afaik it has a 3 year hardware warranty too. 

I did  years ago, Used it myself for over a year before I made the switch to mechanical boards, sold it to a friend who's still using it now. I got it when it first released so I want to say its 5 years old at this time still going strong. 

Edit: Afaik it has a 3 year hardware warranty too. 

Must have just been the typical key-mashers that were complaining then. I feel like you can't mash buttons on membrane keyboards like you can on mechs without damaging them pretty quickly, but other than that their lifespans aren't wildly different. 

Here's something a little out-of-the-ordinary.. 

What are your favourite membrane/rubber dome keyboards, guys? I own a few mechanicals and like the browns, but need something much more quiet for at night times. Plus, I occasionally get some discomfort after typing for a long time on my browns, possibly due to my wrist/finger problems not so long ago. Was wondering if the Corsair K30/40 is any good? It certainly looks nice, and after switching entirely to PBT keycaps on my mech boards, I'd love some subtle backlighting like that. RBG? Even better.The K40 is available here for $75, whereas mechs start at like $120. Oh the woes of Australian IT tax..

Leave your thoughts below please and yes, we all know mechs are objectively better. 

I have had the k120 for over 3 years now

It's awesome!

Everything Digital

I have had the k120 for over 3 years now

It's awesome!

I've got one of those too but it feels really cheap IMHO. I want something more solid. The k120 bends everywhere and feels quite stiff.