License key after Win 10 Upgrade

xc3ll

Hey Guys,

I did the Upgrade to Windows 10 on a few PCs. Since they are all self-build, they all had original windows licenses - Not some OEM-stuff.

So it was never a problem for me, to swap parts or even move licenses from one pc to another.

Now I upgraded to Windows 10. To be sure, that I can keep my freedom, i tried to read out the "new" license key - And I got one, that worked (Tried it in a VM). But the license key was always the same for all PCs i upgraded, so I guess, it's a "dummy key" for upgrade-users.

So, since I couldn't find any useful information from microsoft, i ask here, what happens if I want to move the Windows 10 installation from one PC to another, if I swap my Mainboard or if I want to to a clean install after HDD-Crash. Since I don't use (and never did!) a MS-Account, the "It's all gonna be fine"-Statement from Microsoft isn't helpful at all in my case.

So, thank you for your anserwes!

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

Following for curiosity, but doubtful that anyone really knows yet.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Hey Guys,

I did the Upgrade to Windows 10 on a few PCs. Since they are all self-build, they all had original windows licenses - Not some OEM-stuff.

So it was never a problem for me, to swap parts or even move licenses from one pc to another.

Now I upgraded to Windows 10. To be sure, that I can keep my freedom, i tried to read out the "new" license key - And I got one, that worked (Tried it in a VM). But the license key was always the same for all PCs i upgraded, so I guess, it's a "dummy key" for upgrade-users.

So, since I couldn't find any useful information from microsoft, i ask here, what happens if I want to move the Windows 10 installation from one PC to another, if I swap my Mainboard or if I want to to a clean install after HDD-Crash. Since I don't use (and never did!) a MS-Account, the "It's all gonna be fine"-Statement from Microsoft isn't helpful at all in my case.

It is attached to your Microsoft account.  Don't have one?  You'll need to do a upgrade install everytime.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

It is attached to your Microsoft account.  Don't have one?  You'll need to do a upgrade install everytime.

Not really the question he asked. He's looking to find out if it's going to de-activate/kill his Win10 install every time he modifies system. Previous versions of Windows de-activated when you switched certain components, but it was an easy fix when you had a valid key. With no key in Win10, this poses a problem.

I spoke to Microsoft support about it today, and according to them the license is tied to your hardware (though they didn't say, I believe the consensus is that it's only tied to your motherboard), so if you change your hardware, it will invalidate your license. However, they said that if you reinstall your original OS, for which you have the license key, to the same drive that you had originally installed, you will still be able to claim your free upgrade (the way it was worded implied that it would work even after the free upgrade period has finished). However, I'm not quite sure how that would work, so take it with a grain of salt.

HTTP/2 203

Not really the question he asked. He's looking to find out if it's going to de-activate/kill his Win10 install every time he modifies system. Previous versions of Windows de-activated when you switched certain components, but it was an easy fix when you had a valid key. With no key in Win10, this poses a problem.

I'm almost willing to bet that when the 1 year is up, your Windows activation will be tied to your account and will REQUIRE you to log into a account to activate it (or at the very least call them).  I feel like if you don't want to use a Microsoft Account then you'll be forced to buy a full copy with a stand alone key.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Hey Guys,

I got the same question and someone in close relation with MS said that once you upgrade your PC with a FPP/retail licence you need to 1st install your original OS (W7 / W8(.1)) to your new machine and go through the same upgrade process to W10 for the system to generate a new key (it's not a product key), key that will be tied to your MS account until next HW upgrade

So, since google seems to hate me, I searched the microsoft site directly.

They say:

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

So it seems, that the license is in fact tied to "the hardware". But a good scientist validates his assumptions; So I will do the following:

I'll put an empty HDD in my PC (which currently runs an activated win 10 upgrade), plug in a fresh win-10 usb-stick and install it (without entering a license-key, since i don't have one). Then I'll try to activate it. If it works - fine.

And just out of curiosity I'll try the same with a different mainboard (which hasn't hosted a win10 yet). If it doesn't work then, we can assume pretty safely, that the license is tied to the mainboard.

Everything without MS-Account, to eliminate variables...

InWin 901

So, since google seems to hate me, I searched the microsoft site directly.

They say:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

So it seems, that the license is in fact tied to "the hardware". But a good scientist validates his assumptions; So I will do the following:

I'll put an empty HDD in my PC (which currently runs an activated win 10 upgrade), plug in a fresh win-10 usb-stick and install it (without entering a license-key, since i don't have one). Then I'll try to activate it. If it works - fine.

And just out of curiosity I'll try the same with a different mainboard (which hasn't hosted a win10 yet). If it doesn't work then, we can assume pretty safely, that the license is tied to the mainboard.

Everything without MS-Account, to eliminate variables...

Tag me if you do

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

So here I am with some new Information:

I did two things:

1. I took my SSD with an upgraded and activated Win 10 from my PC and put it in an old laptop. The OS needed to be activated again, which wasn't possible.

2. I put an empty hdd in my PC (which had already an activated version of win 10 on it) and installed Windows from a USB-Stick. I didn't enter a key. After the installation, the OS was immediately activated.

Sooo... The Upgrade ties your license to your PC. So don't think you can change your mainboard and keep your license. I don't want to beat to hard on Microsoft, because now (with the free upgrade) you might have to buy a new license in the future. But with older releases you definitely had to buy one...

Now there is only one question left: Will the support activate your Windows 10, if you tell them, that you only swapped your mainboard?

Ok... maybe another one: Will I be able to get the windows 10 upgrade, if I install my old Win7/8/8.1 (which I upgraded now) in a year from now?

So, maybe I call MS tomorrow and ask them. But I doubt, that I can get a useful answer from a callcenter :)

InWin 901

This is not true, I have upgraded without a Microsoft account and then clean installed without a Microsoft account and kept my activation, it is tied to your hardware ID

Well that really sucks, since I need to replace my motherboard -_-

Well that really sucks, since I need to replace my motherboard -_-

It would help us all, if you would call the support and ask them, if the re-activate your license after that. If they do, we can sleep a little better :)

If not, you have to reinstall win7/8 and do the upgrade again. As long as they giving it away for free, it should be no problem at all. Well... You'll have to do a complete new install, which can be a lot of work...

InWin 901

So just for the record: Here we have a thread where the OP talked to MS after a Mainboard-Swap. Turns out, your basicly screwed. You have to install Win7/8 and upgrade again. It's not clear, that this will still work after the "free upgrade" period.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/422094-windows-10-upgrade-no-new-product-key-is-issued/

InWin 901

I spoke to Microsoft support about it today, and according to them the license is tied to your hardware (though they didn't say, I believe the consensus is that it's only tied to your motherboard), so if you change your hardware, it will invalidate your license. However, they said that if you reinstall your original OS, for which you have the license key, to the same drive that you had originally installed, you will still be able to claim your free upgrade (the way it was worded implied that it would work even after the free upgrade period has finished). However, I'm not quite sure how that would work, so take it with a grain of salt.

They told me the same. Heres an image of the support chat. I asked because im getting an asrock fatality 990fx before years end.

post-109182-0-84328800-1438598792_thumb.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit