X99 deluxe painting

Kupfury

Hey guys I was looking to do a case modification. I currently own a x99 deluxe but just bought a windowed silent base 800 and would like to paint the white heatsinks to match the orange trim of the case. I was wondering what tips you would have on this. I am thinking I will use plastidip because if thermals are affected like some people say, I could just scrape it off. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help

post-234520-0-00665500-1438310453.jpg

post-234520-0-59202900-1438310519.jpg

It's not the best Idea because you might be sacrificing cooling

If you srsly want some painting headroom go with the Asus Sabertooth X99.It has a armor you can take off paint and put right back on

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Hey guys I was looking to do a case modification. I currently own a x99 deluxe but just bought a windowed silent base 800 and would like to paint the white heatsinks to match the orange trim of the case. I was wondering what tips you would have on this. I am thinking I will use plastidip because if thermals are affected like some people say, I could just scrape it off. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help

It can be done but will affect cooling performance, more so if you use plasti-dip since it's a rubber based coating.

I have a write up that goes over the specifics on painting motherboard heatsinks:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

Welcome to the forums!

Dip the whole board in wall-paint.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

It can be done but will affect cooling performance, more so if you use plasti-dip since it's a rubber based coating.

I have a write up that goes over the specifics on painting motherboard heatsinks:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

What kind of paint and/or primer would be the best thing to do for this. I am reading about something to do with anodizing but I feel I am just way in over my head :)

Those white bits on the heatsinks seem to be plastic covers that are laid on top. See if you can take them off somehow

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

What kind of paint and/or primer would be the best thing to do for this. I am reading about something to do with anodizing but I feel I am just way in over my head :)

Anodizing is possible but require heated chemical baths and dyes which aren't worth it if your doing it at home or a few parts.

For spray painting any general paint will work it doesn't need to be high temp paint or anything special I would scuff up the surface of the heatsink to promote adhesion and apply very light coats, It doesn't absolutely need primer for the most part.

Plasti-dip can be used but it insulates more and requires thicker coats for even coverage so it can be used but less ideal you might see temps increase at most 5C. As said the white parts can be painted no problem with performance impact.

Those white bits on the heatsinks seem to be plastic covers that are laid on top. See if you can take them off somehow

would it be with screws or pushpins?

Not sure, my guess would be is that it's attached with adhesive

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

The I/O cover I would assume is held on by either pins or screws.

thanks a lot for the help. Any other things I should know that will help me out?

That should pretty much be all of it if you want to paint the plastic shroud parts using plasti-dip on those isn't bad since you can revert it back to the original white and won't affect performance or anything really.

That should pretty much be all of it if you want to paint the plastic shroud parts using plasti-dip on those isn't bad since you can revert it back to the original white and won't affect performance or anything really.

What about the white plastic on the square heatsink that is to the right of pci slots? can plasti dip be used or is something more conventional necessary?

What about the white plastic on the square heatsink that is to the right of pci slots? can plasti dip be used or is something more conventional necessary?

You can plasti-dip it but I'm mask it off, of course it's a good idea to remove the heatsinks for painting. One thing before removing masking if you've not used plasti-dip before is you need to make cut lines along the edge of the masking tape or it will pull up surrounding plasti-dip.