Question for Windows 10 users (upgrade)

Doughnutnator

Hi! I have a huge question to all of you guys.

Since Windows 10 released today, a lot of people upgraded from previous Windows versions.

So the question is in the poll:

Did you got an unique Windows 10 product key?

I'll explain this:

- It seems that Microsoft isn't giving new keys away, but registering your HwID (motherboard, CPU etc...) in their servers as a PC that "upgraded", and then your Windows 10 activates with a generic key.

Even though is a generic key, only PC's that upgraded from previous valid Windows will activate correctly.

AFAIK these are the keys 

• Windows 10 Home build 10240 - TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 and YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
  • Windows 10 Home SL - BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
  • Windows 10 Pro build 10240 - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
  • Windows 10 Enterprise build 10240 - NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43
  • Also keys ending in: 6MT6Y and T83GX

If you want to check your key (the ending of it of course) use this command in cmd.exe:

slmgr /dli or slmgr /dlv (the first one gives you simple information about your license, the second one gives a lot more info)

If you got an unique key don't post it here :P Or it can be stolen from bad guys. Just want to know if you guys got a different kind of activation, or MS gave you new keys.

I upgraded from Win7, and my Win10 installation seems activated but with a generic key.

Thanks!

@KamiKatze is also having that problem with the generic key.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

well I previously did "something" that injected Lenovo keys to my laptop and I got a upgrade to W10 and my key is ending with 6MT6Y

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

well I previously did "something" that injected Lenovo keys to my laptop and I got a upgrade to W10 and my key is ending with 6MT6Y

MAK:Volume channel key then :P

Meh, doesn't matter, does it? Just upgrade and reset windows completeley. I'm doing it as i type. Will see how "clean" it ist.

who cares...

@KamiKatze is also having that problem with the generic key.

I contacted Microsoft a while ago and they told me that activation is working differently now...

It seems that the generic keys will only work for those who really upgraded.

Also it looks that now your mobo and HWID are like "your keys", if you upgraded your HwID will appear in MS Servers as "legit and one that upgraded", so it will let you fully activate Windows10 with a generic key...

Meh, doesn't matter, does it? Just upgrade and reset windows completeley. I'm doing it as i type. Will see how "clean" it ist.

I didn't did that.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Win 10, but then downloaded the .ISO and clean installed it in other HDD.

Skipped activation, and it activated by itself without asking me for a key.

I contacted Microsoft a while ago and they told me that activation is working differently now...

It seems that the generic keys will only work for those who really upgraded.

Also it looks that now your mobo and HWID are like "your keys", if you upgraded your HwID will appear in MS Servers as "legit and one that upgraded", so it will let you fully activate Windows10 with a generic key...

what  do you mean with "if you upgraded your HwID"

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

MAK:Volume channel key.

yeah I know what i did I just avoided typing it since not looking for a conversation with a mod again.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

what  do you mean with "if you upgraded your HwID"

Missed a comma: "If you upgraded, your HwID". Sorry :P

yeah I know what i did I just avoided typing it since not looking for a conversation with a mod again.

Editing that, sorry. 

Good for you, you literally got Win10 for free :D

idk if this is what you guys get , but it says i have a partial key ... 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

idk if this is what you guys get , but it says i have a partial key ... 

yeah partial key :P

It's the last 5 digits of your full key.

Did you got a unique one or a generic one?

yeah partial key :P

It's the last 5 digits of your full key.

Did you got a unique one or a generic one?

unique 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

which windows edition you have ?

win 10 home , core , retail 

Spoiler
Spoiler

win 10 home , core , retail 

nice! Are you sure is unique and not this one? Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7

More generic keys.

That is the generic key. Here are all generic keys:

Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7

Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT

Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y

Thanks! Updating post...

nice! Are you sure is unique and not this one? Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7

Thanks! Updating post...

how can i reveal my whole key? lol , nvr mind its not a unique key .., weird 

and can i possible use a generic key to upgrade from home to pro ? would it work ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

I'm on the generic win 10 pro key, had to click the activate button a shitload of times in order to get my system to activate.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Just don't install the included software its pretty much malware app it self is safe, or just wait for some one else to post alternative thats confirmed to be safe, there some software out there to check it that aren't safe also keep that in mind.

well that sucks , wont let me upgrade to win 10 pro with generic key :/ 

was worth a a shot 

Spoiler
Spoiler

that won't work unless you upgraded from windows 7 ultimate or windows 8.1 pro for example.

lol yea figured that out ..  wish i still had my win 7 pro layin around but noooo i decided to sell it lol 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Really no benefit tbh from windows home or pro even on windows 10, cannot stop updates anyway, i tryit using the tool to block amda00 interface driver by hidding the update windows update did't care installed it anyway

The tool works. I used it to stop Windows Update from installing Nvidia Drivers and it worked.

I see better performance in games. Really. 

At least less stuttering compared to Windows 8.1

Really worth a shot, it seems that Microsoft didn't screwed up this time. They tested Win10 a lot with the insider things.

If we not supose to get unique key then thats kinda scumbag movie honestly, if my ssd dies after a year and i need reinstall windows 10 it won't activate for example, or motherboard, normaly you just be able to activate by phone but that won't do anything with generic key.

scumbag Microsoft much ... this will be annoying af  

Spoiler
Spoiler

Had to change motherboard 3 times over a year last time 1 board died due me panicing, which forced me to use board that could die any day, untill had safed up enough finaly to replace that to.

Now i have fastboot issues which probably lots users have issues with that could potentialy be just my motherboard if i rma that after a year i be screwed to if it comes back fixed because of new hardware id.

i  know the feel , i have bad luck with hardware as well... been fairly lucky so far however ~knocks on wood~

Spoiler
Spoiler