Win 10 update stuck at 55%

Nexxus

Ok so I go to work soon..I started the windows 10 update a while ago and for at least an hour and a half ive been stuck on the grey screen at 55% that states

"Configuring update for windows 10

xx% complete

Do not turn off your computer"

im going to let this run while im at work and..hope for the best but that hope is very quickly diminishing.

So I figured I would make this thread in advanced to help with the troubleshooting/what to do from here so I  dont have to spend a ton of time researching when I get in from work cause the only option is to shut the system down at this point since I cant back out of it

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Do you have enough space on your Windows drive? 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Do you have enough space on your Windows drive? 

I didnt check before hand but its a comp thats only about a year old that isnt used a ton so I imagine space is fine..id be surprisedif it was the issue.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Hello All,

I have the same issue, i upgraded from windows 8.1, i had enough space and now is stuck in a screen that says "configuring update for windows 10 55% complete do not turn off your computer", there is a circle that loops infinitely and has been like that for around 4 hours! what should i do? what happens if i switch off the pc?

Thank you 

Hello All,

I have the same issue, i upgraded from windows 8.1, i had enough space and now is stuck in a screen that says "configuring update for windows 10 55% complete do not turn off your computer", there is a circle that loops infinitely and has been like that for around 4 hours! what should i do? what happens if i switch off the pc?

Thank you

Lettme know if you brave it and just find out. I'm stuck at work for another 4 hours

System Specs

ugh...giving this a bump cause im home from work..still stucxk at 55% and im in line with MS tech for live chat

System Specs

So, am I glad that I'm not the only one with the exact same problem - or disappointed that upgrading 8.1 to ten may result in... ?  I shudder to think.  I installed this on an OLD laptop, the oldest & slowest one I own.  Made the transition from win 7 home premium to win 10 seamlessly.  I'm posting this message from that computer, using win 10.  My NEWEST laptop is running win 8.1.  "Configuring...55%...Do Not..."  Both computers have been well maintained, have limited amounts of software, cleaned up with CCleaner almost daily... actively stripped of junk.  The 8.1 to 10 conversion has been stuck this way for over two hours.  Does Microsoft have any advice about how to cope with this??  Apparently not.  Apparently, they NEVER ENCOUNTERED THE ISSUE.  [That was sarcasm, btw.]  And they still have no comment now that it's well documented.  I sure hope someone on this thread finds an answer, or that MS posts one...  Sheesh... It's only all of my hobbies dead in the water...  OK, now the beast has gone to sleep on me - woke it up.  Still at 55%... Give up for the night.  Maybe tomorrow morning Santa Clause will have slipped down the chimney and brought me a new OS.

So, am I glad that I'm not the only one with the exact same problem - or disappointed that upgrading 8.1 to ten may result in... ?  I shudder to think.  I installed this on an OLD laptop, the oldest & slowest one I own.  Made the transition from win 7 home premium to win 10 seamlessly.  I'm posting this message from that computer, using win 10.  My NEWEST laptop is running win 8.1.  "Configuring...55%...Do Not..."  Both computers have been well maintained, have limited amounts of software, cleaned up with CCleaner almost daily... actively stripped of junk.  The 8.1 to 10 conversion has been stuck this way for over two hours.  Does Microsoft have any advice about how to cope with this??  Apparently not.  Apparently, they NEVER ENCOUNTERED THE ISSUE.  [That was sarcasm, btw.]  And they still have no comment now that it's well documented.  I sure hope someone on this thread finds an answer, or that MS posts one...  Sheesh... It's only all of my hobbies dead in the water...  OK, now the beast has gone to sleep on me - woke it up.  Still at 55%... Give up for the night.  Maybe tomorrow morning Santa Clause will have slipped down the chimney and brought me a new OS.

I was talking tyo MS support they said just force shut down you will be ok.

At that point they tried walking me though some troubleshooting ive done 50,000 times over

im just going to force the download of it again and give it another go and hope for the best

System Specs

I am having the same problem, "conf..55%...Do not turn...". I have forced a shut down. It comes right back to the blue screen and saying the same thing.

Anybody got any ideas? HELP!!

I am having the same problem, "conf..55%...Do not turn...". I have forced a shut down. It comes right back to the blue screen and saying the same thing.

Anybody got any ideas? HELP!!

Go to clock, language and region in control panel

change your language to English USA

then go to Region then the administrative tab then change system location and change it to English United states

get this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and update the system

System Specs

Thanks Nexxus,

I unpluged all the usb devices except mouse and keyboard. It finally finished configuring about 1 hour after that.

Now it is downloading. But at least it is not stuck on the blue screen, It is downloading in the background.

Not sure how long this will take, but thanks for the help.

Thanks Nexxus,

I unpluged all the usb devices except mouse and keyboard. It finally finished configuring about 1 hour after that.

Now it is downloading. But at least it is not stuck on the blue screen, It is downloading in the background.

Not sure how long this will take, but thanks for the help.

Goodluck its what I did to update it

System Specs

Thanks from me too, Nexxus.  After about 6 shutdowns & reboots, the installation finally "completed".  But win 10 was basically non-functional - too many issues to list.  I had to play with it and find a single thing that would work/happen when I clicked anything, reboot, repeat over a dozen times before it became "fully" functional.  Now my current issue is that it takes a very long time to identify folder contents using file explorer - you know the slow green bar that may or may not foreshadow doom.  Very strange.  Well, Window's self-healing properties, secret as they are, seem to be working in the long run so maybe that will clear up too.  If I had this to do over again, I would uninstall ALL my software, strip the computer absolutely down to OS & and browser - THEN, and only THEN proceed with the upgrade.  And I strongly advise others to take that path.  I know reinstalling software is a pain - but trust me - it's easier, less time consuming, and less risky than the alternative.  BTW, win 10, now that it's working - I have to admit I kinda like it!  Not bad, not bad.

Oh, BTW, how do I get "warning points"?  Sounds kinda cool!  Is there a prize if you reach a certain level, like 1000 pts = free drone?

Thanks from me too, Nexxus.  After about 6 shutdowns & reboots, the installation finally "completed".  But win 10 was basically non-functional - too many issues to list.  I had to play with it and find a single thing that would work/happen when I clicked anything, reboot, repeat over a dozen times before it became "fully" functional.  Now my current issue is that it takes a very long time to identify folder contents using file explorer - you know the slow green bar that may or may not foreshadow doom.  Very strange.  Well, Window's self-healing properties, secret as they are, seem to be working in the long run so maybe that will clear up too.  If I had this to do over again, I would uninstall ALL my software, strip the computer absolutely down to OS & and browser - THEN, and only THEN proceed with the upgrade.  And I strongly advise others to take that path.  I know reinstalling software is a pain - but trust me - it's easier, less time consuming, and less risky than the alternative.  BTW, win 10, now that it's working - I have to admit I kinda like it!  Not bad, not bad.

I just updated then immediately reset the PC so it was a fresh install, I wasnt intresting in possible issues popping up in the future. glad you got it wokrting though.

System Specs

Oh, BTW, how do I get "warning points"?  Sounds kinda cool!  Is there a prize if you reach a certain level, like 1000 pts = free drone?

lol does it list I have those publicly?

you be an ass to someone thats basicly how you get it, you get enough and you get banned.

System Specs