Is core i7 5th gen worth buying

Harry Sidhu

Hey everyone

I am a student and i am planning to buy a new laptop for my personal use. As i am having not too much choices due tu a limited budget because i want to buy it from my pocket money. Choices that i am having are HP Pavilion 15-P207TX and HP Pavilion 15-P208TX Suggesting any other would be a great help. Coming to my basic problem as both the above models use Intel Core i7 5th gen processors (5500U to be specific) as i am aware that these run only on 2 cores and a clock speed of 2.4Ghz. So weather should i buy it or any other options plzzz it would be greatly helpfull.

oh god the font colour/size.. its cancer.

To help you we need to know what you are going to using it for. if its just note taking and essays any processor is fine.

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

I would say go for any laptop that fits your budget.  then format windows becuase the stock windows that come on notebooks are so full of bloot ware its not funny

I am going to use it forcollege stuff and also for part time gamming

I am going to use it forcollege stuff and also for part time gamming

A link to the machines or telling us their full specs would be useful :)

As far as laptops go a 5gen i7 vs 4/3 gen you will see little difference your better off looking for the one with a good ssd and at least 8 gb of ram and as far as the i7 goes if your on a budget I would just stick with an i5 and go for the ram and ssd upgrade first.

DON'T GET AN HP!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, but seriously. They are trash.

When in doubt, re-format.

I suggest ASUS/Lenovo for laptops, they will be a bit more expensive but the design is better/higher quality. I had an HP laptop for the first 2 years of college and it was a good value for performance/dollar, but there were definitely shortcuts taken, and I ended up killing it in the end (I treated it too much like a desktop/ did modifications, etc). I now have a destkop and a Thinkpad yoga which I got refurbished from ebay with a 1 year lenovo warranty. The refurbished path might not be a bad one for you, but I do recommend avoiding HP laptops, as tempting as the apparant value may be.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

A link to the machines or telling us their full specs would be useful :)

As far as laptops go a 5gen i7 vs 4/3 gen you will see little difference your better off looking for the one with a good ssd and at least 8 gb of ram and as far as the i7 goes if your on a budget I would just stick with an i5 and go for the ram and ssd upgrade first.

Still if u could suggest any laptop till a budget of 1200 USD

DON'T GET AN HP!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, but seriously. They are trash.

WHy soo???

Actually gpu/power consumption will probably have a noticable impact on laptop use. There may be almost no reason to go 5th gen on desktop, but for battery life alone I would lean that direction on laptops, unless price is majorly different.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

I suggest ASUS/Lenovo for laptops, they will be a bit more expensive but the design is better/higher quality. I had an HP laptop for the first 2 years of college and it was a good value for performance/dollar, but there were definitely shortcuts taken, and I ended up killing it in the end (I treated it too much like a desktop/ did modifications, etc). I now have a destkop and a Thinkpad yoga which I got refurbished from ebay with a 1 year lenovo warranty. The refurbished path might not be a bad one for you, but I do recommend avoiding HP laptops, as tempting as the apparant value may be.

Thankyou soo much bt actully i dont believe in refurbished ones as one of my friends got a laptop in a weared condition

WHy soo???

I have never personally owned one, but every person I have come across who owns an HP has had multiple hardware failures within 2 years. And I am talking 15+ individual laptops and desktops over the course of the last 10 or so years. Literally 100% of my friends/clients who have hp products have had problems with them. Go with ANY OTHER vendor, Acer isnt great, but they're still better than HP.

Lenovo, Dell, Asus, MSI, Sony, are all much better options.

For schoolwork related tasks, they will all perform more or less the same, with an SSD being the biggest differentiating factor as to how fast it feels. Go to a store (like best buy or whatever you have close to you) and find the one in your price range that you think looks and feels the best. Make sure it has 8GB of ram (4 will even be enough for basic things) and an SSD, and you're golden.

When in doubt, re-format.

Still if u could suggest any laptop till a budget of 1200 USD

If gaming is important, maybe a Lenovo Y40, or Y50 I think you can choose a configuration similar to HP options. If you don't plan to play games, I suggest going with something smaller. 14" I would consider to be about the biggest thing I would want in my backpack/taking to classes all day. I went from 15.6" 1080p to 12.5" 1080p and don't miss the extra space all that much, but carry the laptop 100% of the time vs like 50%.

I have never personally owned one, but every person I have come across who owns an HP has had multiple hardware failures within 2 years. And I am talking 15+ individual laptops and desktops over the course of the last 10 or so years. Literally 100% of my friends/clients who have hp products have had problems with them. Go with ANY OTHER vendor, Acer isnt great, but they're still better than HP.

Lenovo, Dell, Asus, MSI, Sony, are all much better options.

For schoolwork related tasks, they will all perform more or less the same, with an SSD being the biggest differentiating factor as to how fast it feels. Go to a store (like best buy or whatever you have close to you) and find the one in your price range that you think looks and feels the best. Make sure it has 8GB of ram (4 will even be enough for basic things) and an SSD, and you're golden.

Okkkk

Thankyou sooo much

And one more question??

Would it be ok if i go with 4th gen rather than 5th gen i7 as it offers 4 cores

Thankyou soo much bt actully i dont believe in refurbished ones as one of my friends got a laptop in a weared condition

That is your decision, and I understand the hesitation. My laptop has an msrp of like $1200-$1300 though so refurb let me get it for $750 and it still had a warranty, I did have to send it in due to some problems, but Lenovo has epic support (1 day air payed both ways for me to send it in). If you aren't looking at Thinkpads, Macs, or similar expensive lines, refurbished starts to make less sense.

That is your decision, and I understand the hesitation. My laptop has an msrp of like $1200-$1300 though so refurb let me get it for $750 and it still had a warranty, I did have to send it in due to some problems, but Lenovo has epic support (1 day air payed both ways for me to send it in). If you aren't looking at Thinkpads, Macs, or similar expensive lines, refurbished starts to make less sense.

Thankyou soo much 

one more thing please suggest me 1 or 2 modelsi have a max budget of $1300