[MINI NEWS] Last Minute Updates From MS About Windows 10 Upgrade Process

Master Disaster

It is impossible to find info on this.  When can I purchase a retail copy, either DVD/USB/ISO of Windows 10?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Windows+10 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

The recovery partition will be upgraded to Windows 10 as well. However, I don't know for Windows 7, as there was no standard way for this, like Windows 8 have.

You sure?  I thought that I had read somewhere that the upgrade to win10 was going to delete the recovery partition on systems that had one, or did I misread this??

I need to get a win 7 pro ISO somehow, I have home premium installed, and only have a install disk for that. But I have a key for Win 7 PRO.

You can't do the upgrade windows version and provide your PRO key ? Like I did to get win8.0 ?

4) Its official, upgrading your system to 10 will upgrade your key meaning you can clean install 10 after the fact.

Again this was already pretty common knowledge, I'd been told this by some MS Community guys in the Windows 10 Q&A but this is now official and straight from the horses mouth (as it were). You will have to upgrade your system from 7 or 8.1 to 10 to get your key, once you've got your key you can use it as you can any other Windows key including clean install from an ISO.

I want to do a secure erase on my SSD; will Windows 10 directly tell me the new key after upgrading from Windows 8.1?

I'm going to be pissed off if I have to go digging around in the registry or have to use programs that I don't trust in order to get the new key.

You sure?  I thought that I had read somewhere that the upgrade to win10 was going to delete the recovery partition on systems that had one, or did I misread this??

It did on my Surface Pro 2, ans Microsoft did mention this.

I want to do a secure erase on my SSD; will Windows 10 directly tell me the new key after upgrading from Windows 8.1?

I'm going to be pissed off if I have to go digging around in the registry or have to use programs that I don't trust in order to get the new key.

No one knows yet, we will find out soon enough though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If your system is a manufactured one (Dell, HP, etc...), then the product key is in the UEFI.

So while I have never tested this, technically a clean install of Win10, would be all you need to do, as it will get the key from there. Logically.

Look into how to clean install Windows 8 for a OEM machine, and it should be the same for Win 10.

If your system is a manufactured one (Dell, HP, etc...), then the product key is in the UEFI.

So while I have never tested this, technically a clean install of Win10, would be all you need to do, as it will get the key from there. Logically.

Look into how to clean install Windows 8 for a OEM machine, and it should be the same for Win 10.

I'm using a custom laptop. No keys are stored in the BIOS; I need the key written down in order to do a clean installation.

I am kind of tempted to try upgrading a pirated version of Windows 7 in a VM. I wonder if it will just spit out a legit key. If it does then this is a great opportunity to convert a lot of pirates.

And this is one reason why I upgraded from pirated Windows 8.1 to legit 8.1, because I really wanted the free Windows 10 upgrade and I didn't want to wait for the "Pirate bay Special Edition." 

Plus it was like $10 to buy a key, so why not.

COMIC SANS

I'm using a custom laptop. No keys are stored in the BIOS; I need the key written down in order to do a clean installation.

I believe that you will not need a key to upgrade, but you must upgrade your existing installation first, which will then create and then send to MS a hardware ID.  After this is done, then you can go ahead and do a clean install and at the part where it asks for a key to be provided, just skip this step and the installation will proceed and will activate via the hardware ID created during the initial upgrade.  No more keys required, it will all be done via a hardware ID.

Reserved my copy months ago but still no notification to upgrade.  :( 

Meanwhile my dad and bro who reserved theirs literally on the 11th hour have already got it. :angry:  

What's the difference between upgrade and clean install? I did the upgrade and my OS is running smoothly. Should I do a clean install or just leave it?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

What's the difference between upgrade and clean install? I did the upgrade and my OS is running smoothly. Should I do a clean install or just leave it?

Up to you.

Windows 10 does a fairly good job these days with the upgrade system as you can see yourself. But if you want a true clean experience, clean install.

Up to you.Windows 10 does a fairly good job these days with the upgrade system as you can see yourself. But if you want a true clean experience, clean install.

May as well lock this one up GB.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I believe that you will not need a key to upgrade, but you must upgrade your existing installation first, which will then create and then send to MS a hardware ID.  After this is done, then you can go ahead and do a clean install and at the part where it asks for a key to be provided, just skip this step and the installation will proceed and will activate via the hardware ID created during the initial upgrade.  No more keys required, it will all be done via a hardware ID.

Thanks for answering my question.

I found a program called Belarc Advisor which finds the Windows 10 key just in case I need it after my SSD secure erase.

This also makes me wonder which hardware components I can change without Windows failing to activate the next time I do a clean installation.

Link to Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Thanks for answering my question.

I found a program called Belarc Advisor which finds the Windows 10 key just in case I need it after my SSD secure erase.

This also makes me wonder which hardware components I can change without Windows failing to activate the next time I do a clean installation.

Link to Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Up to you.

Windows 10 does a fairly good job these days with the upgrade system as you can see yourself. But if you want a true clean experience, clean install.

I dont get it, what clean install is everyone talking about. 

You dont get a key upgrade, i upgraded mine and i get the same win10 generic key as everyone else,its only different to editions not to each machine, then i did a clean install with the key but when i booted into windows it didnt work activating it said it was blocked.Did i miss something?

I dont get it, what clean install is everyone talking about. 

You dont get a key upgrade, i upgraded mine and i get the same win10 generic key as everyone else,its only different to editions not to each machine, then i did a clean install with the key but when i booted into windows it didnt work activating it said it was blocked.Did i miss something?

You are meant to log in with your MS account

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel